Sign in to follow this  
Coffee&Doughnut

E30 Manual gearbox

Hi there, I am looking at a Manual gearbox from what I am told is an 83 525i. I have an 88 320i which I want to convert.

Does anybody know what type of gearbox this is likely to be and if it might be suitable for an E30 facelift 320i, it needs an input shaft.

Is this likely to create any problems or should I source a gearbox from a later model?

If your engine has the crank angle sensor (CAS) on the front pulley then you can use any gearbox that comes from an M20. Being a FL 320i this is most likely the case. Gearboxes will have the Getrag number cast on the side, will probably be a 260.

Thanks, I will try and find out for sure as this guy who is selling it does not seem to know much about it. Is there any advantage in having a gearbox from a later model besides probable lower mileage, are the later ones any better or worse?

Lower milage should equate to less wear, however, you really won't know until you actually use it. Plan on getting a clutch replacement kit, new spigot bearing, new mounts, new seals, and a new shift coupling knuckle to make it feel like new. Look in the maintenance forum in the stickies section for a detailed thread on g/box swapping. Get it right before you stick it in otherwise it'll bite you hard in the arse.

E: Oh, and before we forget, you have to make sure you get at least the front half of the driveshaft that matches the gearbox. Automatic front half driveshafts are shorter than the manual ones. Best to get the whole driveshaft for balancing sake.

Edited by Carl

A 83 525 uses a M30 engine from memory, so the box is probably unsuitable. 2.5L M20s' didn't appear until late in 85.

Hi,

I have a complete conversion kit for sale here:- http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=66648754 in case you haven't seen it.

- will suit your application if as mentioned already - your engine has the CAS at the front (I would think it has)

Cheers

PS Confirming gmccormack - I had an 84 525i which had the M30 engine -uses a different box to the M20 (fitted in E30's)

Edited by hotwire

Sorry Its taken me a while to get back on this subject, I think the gearbox I was looking at was unsuitable.

The conversion kit you have looks good but I am in Sydney otherwise I would bid.

i would be interested in the M30 box from the 525i .

where is it .

cheers brent