Sign in to follow this  
Guest Andrew

I hate Microsoft

Guest Andrew

We use a 2003 R2 standard server at work as a file server (and DNS etc etc).

Two nights ago a Windows update was done (automatically) and I scheduled a reboot overnight to apply the update.

I arrive at work with no DNS - that's sweet we'll restart the server. Still doesn't work..so I go plug the bastard into a screen and see whats going on.

Firstly - the RAID array appears to have corrupted (giving a critical error and all 4 hard disk failure, god knows how) and then Windoze gives the BSOD at bootup bitching about video drivers.

After digging there is NOTHING wrong with the RAID controller - and this is the 3rd 2003 machine i've heard of today that has done the same thing (with Tane in Welly having done a similar thing).

This isn't the first time a windows update has f**ked our production server and i'm getting really pissed off with Microsoft. My conversation was completely useless with them - then I get transferred to a Indian call centre with some retard who just wanted to know license numbers.. ARRRGGGG.

If anyone else has a server (in RAID5) that has done something weerd - call Microshit and annoy them. A lot.

I.T people - what servers are you using? I am now 90% sure i'm going totally back to a Linux based solution as my experience with 2003 has been horrible.

Due to the large amount of data we have - (we are a film production company) I haven't got backups of all of our media (a whole massive database of MPEG2s). So now i'm faced with a 2000 odd dollar RAID recovery bill (if that even works - it looks like the computer vendor has TOTALLY f**ked the RAID array by re-installing windows.. ghey).

GHEY.

While i'm bitching -

the XTRA DNS servers SUCK also.

We're 95% Linux based, just a couple of windows IIS servers although these sit behind a firewall separating them from the Linux servers - no confidence eh?

So I take it Tane you won't be out drinking tonight???

I still have a lot of love for my 2003 Servers. All are on SP1 though, and haven't bothered to look at R2.

We backup/replicate everyting on an hourly basis, so no loss of data. Same thing happened to me though, although when it failed I came in early to work, and was able to rebuild the server before anyway got it.

Funny thing is, I tested out the updates on my test lab. Spose you can't test every situation though.

Hehe. I will be definately having drinks tonight Carl. I'm up in the 09 staying at Andy's.

Edited by Deftones

Andrew, Threeta is your man for Linux, I'll get him to get in touch.

Solaris is dabomb!!!!

linux is next

sounds like you're into what we call a DR senario. looks like you need some sort of LTO3 drive and some 800GB tapes for it. yip 800GB tape about $140.

cheers, dunc