Sign in to follow this  
ED1RTY

Boy Racers

There wasn't a thread about this so i thought i'd start one. The term boy racer is used alot these days by everyone be it police, media or general public. But what is a boy racer? Sure every friday/saturday night hundreds of youths/teens flock to the major cities in hotted up cars and cruise around, and there are the odd dickheads that drink and drive or drive around in illegit cars. Problem is, everyone that seems to own a 'modified car,' these days is labelled a 'boy racer.' Ive had friends been given fines and even had their car stickered for no reason, cops thinking car is 'illegally modified' with absolutely no proof. Another thing that has been really annoying me is that police dont seem to concentrate on 'real' crime, i live in South Auckland. I know that there are people around causing more havoc than 'boy racers,' but the cops dont care they would rather do mass raids on 'boy racer' meets and gather god knows how much revenue. They say boy racers are dangerous, i mean the stats say only about 2% of road deaths are related to boy racers, cops probably cause more deaths than this! I know, i've been a victim of a police car crash. Cant really finish this post now but ill add more later, just have a think, and post your opinions, i think it will be very interesting to see what some people have to say.

Cheers

Chris

What are you trying to get at, a more difinitive description boy racer, or a bitch session???

All i got to say is the police in this country are bloody useless, your right they should spend more time chasing real criminals then the modified car owner, everyday i constantly see the cops sitting on the side of the road with the radar guns out, so why does it take up to 3 days for a policeman to come to your house if theres a robbery? or why would they send a taxi round to a distressed drunk woman? when theres probably a cop right down the bloody road trying to catch people not indicating properly at a corner, as far as im aware the road death toll has not decreased yet police revenue from ticket collecting has increased, crime in all other areas has also increased.

stupid goverment, stupid cops.

and also

boyracer: under 18 years old

modified car owner: over 18 years old :)

modified car owner: over 18 years old :)

Yeah right more like anyone under about 28.

This is the same topic over and over agaqin regurgitated. The policing in this country is mismanaged, mis directed and incorrectly prioritised. There are action groups out there trying to help but achieving feck all. Go join them and help - it might help progress.Bitching about it doesn't help and always ends up with someone saying something dumb and the thread turns into a flame fest.

Guest Spargo

If you don't like it, do something about it, or f**king leave. Its that simple.

modified car owner: over 18 years old

Yeah right more like anyone under about 28.

No shyte sherlock, welcome to the real world however. It is about time that everybody should realise that this 'boyracer' culture is nothing new! My old man used to drag race on Lincoln Rd in Henderson when he was younger did the ton there too in a flat head V8 powered Ford Bonusbuilt....I cut my teeth illegally racing at the oil terminals, and Kerrs Rd in Wiri...my little brother was no better on Roscommon Rd But here comes the cruncher.......

successive generations are being treated by the law and society with harsher rules and regulations, the older generation has long forgotten it's misdeeds and is punishing the younger generation, all I can suggest is that you enjoy the freedoms you have at the moment because it's only going to get worse. Take Austrailia for example, certain states have mobile warrant stations run by the law to test and evaluate vehicles. If they don't comply they are forfetted to the government for distruction for minor modification such as 1/2 an inch wider wheels, or being 2-3 db too loud with your exhaust.

Don't cry about it join a car club and thrash the living feck out of your car at a legal venue near you!!!!!!!!

Yes, you are right. It is going to get worse. Greater population density, quicker cars, a restrictive PC Govt and us old farts getting grumpier. Police ticket quotas and the very real fact that modern cars are far better than modern NZ roads are capable of accepting. Cell phones too mean that grumpy old buggers of my generation can dob in people who piss us off far more easily. Couple this with youth, who have always thought themselves superior drivers and bulletproof to boot, but who in most cases are far from either.

You're also right that we forget what we were like. You're right too that my generation was a pack of wankers in cars, just like your generation. It's the way its always been for youth.

My generation can't and I guess don't want to do anything at all about it, except winge about lack of respect of modern youth. I don't believe that modern youth can change and in fact, I don't think they should - with ONE exception:

Just f**king think before acting sometimes.

To us oldies, boy racers are not age-defined, they are action-defined. Drive like a total f**kwit and that's your label - to us.

Edited by Jazzbass

get a rota... and show us your tits

Yeh well heres my two cents.

I reckon the police in NZ are fine,I mean they are just doing thier jobs.I must say though that they are pretty crappy in terms of thefts.I had my car broken into and stolen,found it a couple days later with no gas,no ignition barrel and rooted wiring.I rang them and told them i had found it and they told me to "bring it to the station for testing etc".There was no way I could do that so I gave up.But in terms of road 5-0,they are pretty annoying with pulling "legit" cars over and young looking people for no reason at all.I've been pulled over about 4 times for looking dodgy i guess.But never had a speeding ticket,I mean they are the rules and if you break them,you should pay for it?Sure theres a time and place for thrashing your car,but you gotta know where to do it :P.However dont complain when you get a fine ços its not anyone elses fault.

And yeh keen for a skid competition,Ive entered Skidfest here a couple times in my paddock holden commodore.Anyone else be keen on a Bimmer-Only skid comp?

Cheers

Just trying to point out it has been going on for a long time, the 'boyracer' culture has been around for donkeys years! I fully have no problem with police that do, do their jobs, but i wouldnt class a police officers job as writing tickets, well its kinda getting to that. A good example is the auto salon in christchurch few weekends ago, massive bust. Do you see the cops hitting up the V8 or biker meets giving people tickets for loud exhausts etc.. the laws that they are putting in place are directed only at young people.

The cops should be going hard out on people corrupting our society, not youths that like to have fun with their rides and see each others. People are out there killing others, making p and fuking generations to come but there main concern is loud exhausts and modified cars... or plainly said..... BOY RACERS...

But hey, drugs, rape, murder, etc arnt that bad, boyracers are the main problem so lets wipe out modified cars and then we can look at the smaller issues.

Edited by sakdbma

To us oldies, boy racers are not age-defined, they are action-defined. Drive like a total f**kwit and that's your label - to us.

Also this statement isn't entirely correct (well it maybe for you) police representatives i have witnessed on more than one occasion when mates or myself have been fined under the 'boy racer,' laws, when asking them what a boy racer is they have replied with comments like, young driver flash car, or shiny wheels and lowering. I mean yuh take all the dick wankers that drive around on cutties and spray can paint jobs off the road, but leave the legit people alone and stop trying to pick up any tiny little thing they can, JUST TO GET $$$

Ok here you go.I just went up the road to get a drink for dinner.I was alone and not speeding or breaking any laws at all.driving like a nana law possibly?Anyway I got pulled over and the old license,warrent,rego check done.I was just about to close my door ( my windows dont work:) ) and drive away but he said "would you mind telling us your license plate".F**ked if i know my license plate,anyway i told them the 1st few digits and so they gave my car a VERY thorough(spelling?) check just to ping me on something.They found nothing after pissing me around for 15 minutes odd and i drove off.They then followed me through the back streets to my house to see if they could pin me on something,so I pulled over and let them past.Times like these you just wanna stick ur hand out the window and tell them to get f**ked.Shot Chris though good to see what others think.I now am heading towards the "the cops are a joke,the cops are useless,murders come 2nd to loud exhausts etc" catagory.

Chur

Also this statement isn't entirely correct (well it maybe for you) police representatives i have witnessed on more than one occasion when mates or myself have been fined under the 'boy racer,' laws, when asking them what a boy racer is they have replied with comments like, young driver flash car, or shiny wheels and lowering. I mean yuh take all the dick wankers that drive around on cutties and spray can paint jobs off the road, but leave the legit people alone and stop trying to pick up any tiny little thing they can, JUST TO GET $$$

By any chance did you get a fine recently? :P

There is the problem of combining 'Youth-Freedom-& Irresponsibilty' Add too that 'Selective Memories' of the previous generations [who seem to have more clout in society] what do you end up with?. . . . . .BLAME SYNDROME ["it is alway's somebody else causing trouble].

Boy Racing has been going-on since WWII, returned servicemen used to race down the main 'drag' in modified cars [hence the term 'Drag Racing'].

Society will NEVER stamp it out, Why?. . . .Cause it's F**ken good fun,That's why! Most marketing people know this,And Target the youth element for business. What has happened in the last 10 years [approx] is the shift from the established American car culture towards the Japanese scene [Hence 'Boy-Racers' become part of the "them" group]

As with any Car Group, There will always be a large number of "hangers-on",driving around with pieces-of-sh*t,trying to impress the real car guys [usually by doing skids etc]

A seriously modified car costs a shitload of money [they have to be financed somehow] there are lots of opportunities around to do this [sometimes illegal], Most car-guys have good jobs,& learn to sacrifice things to play with their cars.[Thats what materialism does]

When a serious car-guy decides to settle down & give up cars, they usually swap their car hobby for houses,businesses,or whatever [they usually have years of work ethic behind them]

One final note; There's a f**kwit MP in Sydenham [christchurch]Thats trying to bring in Anti- Boy-Racer legislation [He will probably suceed,Why? because he is persecuting a sector of society that generally won't [or can't] defend themselves]. This Dickhead is Just Trying to Buy Votes [Winston did it in Tauranga with immigration.Where were the immigrants to defend themselves] DON'T BUY INTO THIS BULLSHIT it's your freedom they are playing with.

I think my entire family are boy racers. Even the ones in their 50's. It definitely has something to do with the car you are driving. I generally get stopped at checkpoints and have no problem. Getting a proper performance car and not hotting up a slow one is the key.

Anyone who owns an M5 or M3 is at least a closet boy racer. Why else would you buy the near perfect road/track car with practicality?

I'm all for taking dickheads off the road. There are more than enough opportunities these days to get your fix of speed legally.

was quite an impartial judge...pretty good vid

to me, it depends on the cop. some are reasonable about the whole thing. some have no judgement whatsoever and would be sh*t at ANY job they do, just a pity their chosen field affects everyone else

im all for taking wankers off the road, but its not just young people. oldies are retarded too at driving often, and many young people are perfectly safe drivers.

all comes down to PC NZ and ridiculous licensing...my pet horse is driver training..why not make it compulsory for licensees to sit driver training, or at least providing an incentive to take driver training courses (practical, not theory)

By any chance did you get a fine recently? :P

No but i have had cops pull me over for absolutely nothing, JUST cos they thought i was a 'boy racer.'

In my opinion cops are just overrated overpaid till operators collecting money from the public.

The 'boy racer,' term is just one of those terms that drag everyone included in the car 'scene,' and give totally legit people a really bad image. Like ive even had my grandparents friends (grandparents live next door) come and say to me, 'ohhh are you one of those naughty boy racers? your car looks like you would be a street racer bla bla'

It just sickens me, FTP......

They wonder why people take justice into their own hands...

FTP hardout haha.Lets just hope a REAL emergency doesnt happen anytime soon.And to add to that older people/bad image thing,everyone at my work thinks im a f**Knut for driving my old COMPLETLY LEGIT van around.It had lowering blocks in the back,king springs up front and 5% tints all round and was matt black.I know it was pigbait but it was 100% legit passed wof every time.Got pulled over 3 times in one night and got checked over everytime.

So yeh good to some,but not me,well not as of yet anyway

I do think that regardless of other considerations and images of our past (which really have no bearing on the current perspective): modified cars, loaded with any combination of hoodies, caps worn backwards, lowered seats, drag on the ground loweredness, dark tinted windows, loud hiphop or metal with booming subs etc WILL attract attention.

To be fair, many of you here have stated that attracting attention is high on your personal agenda, so that's not surprising. So, people look to see either the noise or the dress code of the occupants and, sorry to say, but I believe it to be true, instantly make assumptions based upon that.

The media has ensured that the public associate much of the above image with the criminal element of our country. Nobody likes crims, so there is an immediate dislike and maybe some fear of anyone who meets the criteria.

Therefore, regardless of who you really are, if you are: young, male, enjoy todays music, play it loud, dress in today's fashion and enioy modding cars, you WILL often be thought of a a boy racer and most likely a crim. With that in mind, people will expect the police to check you out. The public is happy with that.

Part of it is your own fault, part of it is due to media profiling, part of it is people wanting to hang labels on others, part of it is jealousy, part of it is fear. All of it is real, you just have to deal with it in your own way or get rolled by it. 30 years from now, you will most likely have the same feelings towards the youth of that day. Its eternal.

I do think that regardless of other considerations and images of our past (which really have no bearing on the current perspective): modified cars, loaded with any combination of hoodies, caps worn backwards, lowered seats, drag on the ground loweredness, dark tinted windows, loud hiphop or metal with booming subs etc WILL attract attention.

To be fair, many of you here have stated that attracting attention is high on your personal agenda, so that's not surprising. So, people look to see either the noise or the dress code of the occupants and, sorry to say, but I believe it to be true, instantly make assumptions based upon that.

The media has ensured that the public associate much of the above image with the criminal element of our country. Nobody likes crims, so there is an immediate dislike and maybe some fear of anyone who meets the criteria.

Therefore, regardless of who you really are, if you are: young, male, enjoy todays music, play it loud, dress in today's fashion and enioy modding cars, you WILL often be thought of a a boy racer and most likely a crim. With that in mind, people will expect the police to check you out. The public is happy with that.

Part of it is your own fault, part of it is due to media profiling, part of it is people wanting to hang labels on others, part of it is jealousy, part of it is fear. All of it is real, you just have to deal with it in your own way or get rolled by it. 30 years from now, you will most likely have the same feelings towards the youth of that day. Its eternal.

Wise words from a wise old man! Amen! By the way, I'm twenty and my dream car is a 1970s Saab 99 Turbo. If anyone has seen one, preferably in orange or lime green (real lime green, not that awful 'DX rotang' light lime green that you see), please let me know. I think it's high time I got the chance to attract attention to myself.

burnout comp

With the Resource Management Act, it astounds me that these comps are allowed to take place. If a factory discharged that amount of smoke, they'd be shut down immediately and issued with a huge fine. :angry: