Sign in to follow this  
keen

Locked out of e34 and unable to get in

Can anyone help? my sons car has been garaged for 3 weeks and it appears that the batt has gone flat(we assume) and trying the bmw recomendations of using the key in the passengers door lifting the handle and turning the key still does not open the car .does someone know how to get in? oh it is a 1989 motorsport e34. new in nz if that is important.

Tried key in the drivers door?

Remember you have to turn it past the switch so that the mechanism moves to open the door

I havent needed to do it myself, but it is the passenger door you do this on and after you lift the handle you have to really turn the key quite forcefully to have it click past where it would normally go.

Its a handy trick to know.

my car was deadlocked when the battery went dead, and once I was able to unlock the drivers door the passenger door wouldnt, it seems when this happens you can come across solinoid failure somewhere along the line, and the onyl way I managed to get the door unlocked was to remove the door card and disabled the solinoid.

thankyou for the advise so far, we will try it and see how it goes maybe we didn't turn the key with enough pressure just in case we broke it.

Ping the Bonnet open from underneath with a screwdriver, then jumper the battery via the starter motor.

Otherwise use a "SlimJim Bar" down the window onto the locking mechnism inside the door [experts can do this in less than 60 seconds]

thanks for the help yup we did get in, a lot of pressure on the key to get it to turn around to the twenty to twelve postion, but it worked. now to get a new batt in and back to normal.thanks again