Sign in to follow this  
BMRBOI

Oh no!!! head gasket:(

Hey, so I have cracked the head gasket:S. what do I do? I have a 1992 325i E36 M50 manual bmw. Does anyone know of any good places to get cheap but good work done around Rotorua and Hamilton, car is in Rotorua but I live in Hamilton. I was thinking of just getting a new seal kit and machine the head. But then as it has done high kms should I do the piston rings and the whole engine? or should i just get hold of a replace ment engine say a newer model one?

cheers

Being an alloy Head,cracks can be welded then the head planed. you'll need a head set and new head bolts [and the chances are you'll also need a new waterpump as these usually cause the head to get overheated in the first place]

If you can do the labour yourself, it's worth doing.[otherwise get a used unit]

I have the same situation with a M52 Iron 2.8

Ring Birch Ave Wreckers in Tauranga (07)5782400

They have a non-vanos m50b25 there. Then you can sell your short block after

they said itl cost about 1900 for that engine which has done 145,000km. isnt it cheaper just to rebuild the engine i have?

they said itl cost about 1900 for that engine which has done 145,000km. isnt it cheaper just to rebuild the engine i have?

No

Have you a stuffed head gasket or a cracked head?

2 very different things.

head gasket is gone havent pulled apart the motor so unsure if i have cracked it.

Edited by BMRBOI

Alloy heads can be welded. Pull it apart and get a crack tests done

I can get a complete non-vanos M50b20 engine for about $500 [you could cannibalise it]

ok then ill get it tested, how good is that engine? how good are the pistons? you reckon thats a good option? because im really intrested in rebuilding the motor. where abouts are you? cheers

Alloy heads can be welded. Pull it apart and get a crack tests done

I can get a complete non-vanos M50b20 engine for about $500 [you could cannibalise it]

ok then ill get it tested, how good is that engine? how good are the pistons? you reckon thats a good option? because im really intrested in rebuilding the motor. where abouts are you? cheers

I'm in Tauranga. The M50b20 is owned by an ex- business partner of my brother [They imported a non-compliance E36,and had to part it out] I've heard it running it sounded sweet to me

oh ok, what other kinds of engines can you get hold of? ive been told my ecu has some problems as well due to faulty coil packs. gosh things are so hard to do when your a uni student.

Considering your funds (uni student) this is what you should do:

Remove the head and send it awa y for crack testing and check for warping. If it's OK, then you get it honed and buy a head gasket set, replace the gaskets and coil packs go on your merry way. KLater on if the rings etc need doing, you may have the money to rebuild or you may even be ready to upgrade vehicles before then.

If you have a cracked head, buy a secondhand head witha crack/warp-free guarantee and proceed as above.

Rebuild etc should be your last option unless you have the money and want to do it for "fun". Just because the engine has done high kms doesnt mean it needs a rebuild. If you aren't burning oil, then don't worry.

ok so where would be a good place to get it sent away to? or should i take it to a machining place and get them to do it? as fair as finding a head gasket, these arnt easy to find for some reason.

Ok i have found them, so far a full head gasket kit $315. Or at repco $57 just for the head gasket. big difference in price what advantage does the kit have?

Agree with Graeme re. getting head tested, if not cracked then get it skimmed and refit with a new gasket and bolts and off you go till next time. If head is cracked and Kerry's M50b20 is a straight swap (I don't know if it is) then that's the way I'd go. A good second hand head will probably cost more than the motor, and it will certainly cost more to get your head welded etc if it is cracked.

Who did you ring for the kit - sounds pricey.

Kit usually has extra gaskets and seals you'll need. Should be more or less enough to do a top end rebuild. So you may want to find out exactly what you need just for what you need to do. It may be everything as you may as well do camshaft seals etc while you have the thing apart.

I've havn't done an e36 head gasket so I'm probably not the best one to ask re: specifics for e36's but I imagine that it'll be mush the same as the skyline ones I've been party too in which case, by the time you buy all the seals and gaskets you should buy you may as well have bought the whole head gasket set.

Oh yeah - new head bolts too, your best bet is to employ the services of a mate who has done one before to help you along the way, or follow the instructions in a good workshop manual like the bentley.

Kerry's motor should slot in but its a 2.0L so you'll notice a big drop in power over the 2.5L.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

Does anyone KNOW if the 2.0 liter head will swap over? I have a mint 70k 2.0 in my '36 thats coming out when I sort the head on my M52 [i'd swap heads if they were compatible]

[if everyone looked at the "wanted"section on Bimmersport,I was hoping to borrow a M50B20 head to do a flow & measurement comparison! the head can be F**ked for all I care] I don't want to pull a Head off a mint engine,to find out later that it won't work!

I have heard that BMW used the same Head castings but lowered the deck/piston clearance on the larger engines to keep the compression ratio around 11:1

CAN ANYONE ENLIGHTEN ME TO THESE RUMOURS?

would my head do for checking? if so ill be pulling it off soon

would my head do for checking? if so ill be pulling it off soon

contact me when its off