Sign in to follow this  
nz320i

leaky floor

e30

really annoying now, have checked other threads and i still cant seem to fix it-

so far i have:

-checked the heater overflow thingy by the battery and its fine,

-sprayed water into the grills at the top of the bonnet by windscreen wipers and i cant see any water appearing on the floor while carpet is off

-looked round behind the glove box and cant see anything obvious

Is it the heater leaking?

Also i have replaced that rubber grommet things at the bottom of the heater box incase they were leaking.

i would really like to fix my carpet back in place and fit my center console again!!

Help!

Cheers

Are you losing water from your radiator, if not then it's probably not your heater. If your console's off then start the car and get it hot, turn the heater on and look for any signs of water around that area. Otherwise if it's the front passengers side I'd still be looking around the bulkhead behind the glovebox area.

it's either the rear windshield or the sills not draining properly at the front when on a downhill slope and letting water overflow into the foot wells!! this is ofcourse if your firewall hasn't rusted out.

there have been soooo many threads on this!

ok i have tried uploading photos buts its not letting me do so, ill put some links here, but the water was clear before, now it looks like coolant.. i better not have heaps of probs goin on arhhh!!

Bu can see where its leaking from the heater- metal tube to plastic heater tube joint, can i fix this??

Edited by nz320i

Quickest way if you don't mind losing your heater is to bypass the heater altogether. Open your bonnet and find where the 2 pipes go thru the firewall to the heater, disconnect them both and join them with a small piece of pipe with clamps. No more leaks in the car from the heater.

hah i was looking at them thinking excatly that! so will do tomorrow until a have a replacement part of the bit that it leaking!

Also found out i have best of both worlds, heater leaking and today i ripped out the rubber housing round where the loom enters the car and found sh*t loads of rust!

wasnt impressed as the car has been fully re-painted in the last 3 years and it had been patched up by silicon sealer - pretty sure this was done by a restoration co in chch (thanks a lot) !!

so into the rust shop tomorrow i really dont want to know how much this will cost :(

I still cant see how water was getting through the silicon sealed up rust hole before i found it, was quite well sealed! hope fully once fixed it wont leak anymore i dont want to find any more probs!!

Rust repair without having to remove wiring from loom hole - $168 gets done next week, not too bad i thought ??

nz320i, you have got it easy if that is the only rust you have. I had a few little water leaks myself. When I went looking I just about died.

The drivers side: firewall where the battery sits has now be rebuilt, the lower corner of the foot well has been rebuilt, the seam that runs vertically from floor to behind dash panel has be wire brushed and resealled with seam sealer. The steering column to firewall mount has been resealed with new (made by me) gasket and a touch of seam sealer.

The passangers side: the seam that runs vertically from floor to behind dash panel has be wire brushed and resealled with seam sealer. The behind dash panel has had the area where it meets the front window repaired (about 8 inches long and an inch tall) this goes into the heater intake area and water would just gush up and in the car. The engine bay side of the scuttle panel behind the fuse box has been rebuilt, the wiring loom hole that you described has been repaired and sealed.

Every repair and/or rebuild was sealed with seam sealer. All external areas were also brushed over with texture coat as a secondary barrier.

All of this was done by myself and took a total of 2 weeks to find/fix/test with water/refix/test etc. The carpet took about a week to dry but the underfoam took 2 months @ 35 degress in a glass house to dry.

Car is now quieter and nice to drive with carpets back in. Will have to turn radio up now to drown out the girlfriend on long trips.