Sign in to follow this  
Jazzbass

New Coupe release

I imagine so, mate!

Rog, you are one hilarious bloke!

Keep it coming mate!

Yeah - launches are usually food booze and cars. The one we had at work to launch the G and R Class Mercedes' had people modelling $20,000 necklaces in the like. The money game eh!

Good to see that the lady actually brought one - not just everyone coming for the free food and piss!

the evening was cool... but it was quite interesting when Gus, Pam, myself and brendon turned up in jeans and t-shirts ...

Most people were turning their nose up at us ... and the sales staff wouldnt go near us ... hahaha

ahh well ... I was asking for it :D

Was a fun evening anyways, thanks to pam for the invite...

the 335i engine I found is a pretty piss poor attempt by BMW on turbo technology. I understand that the 335i is just a stop gap between the 330i e90 and the soon to be '07 M3 .. but thats all it really is ... a marketing tool.

The car is lovely though ..

Guest Spargo

the 335i engine I found is a pretty piss poor attempt by BMW on turbo technology.

Lucky they've had a bit of practice with Turbo diesels then isn't it.

Dude, its dynoing out of the box with more power than claimed.

Edit 1: yea it still sucks, 4sec slower round the ring than the E46 M3 http://bmwblog.net/?p=210

edit 2: yea, still sucking, http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=597621 +70whp with mild ignition timing and boost pattern tweeks (page 2)

Edited by Spargo

the evening was cool... but it was quite interesting when Gus, Pam, myself and brendon turned up in jeans and t-shirts ...

Hey hey, speak for yourself, I may have been in jeans but I was wearing a Veronika Maine shirt B)

Just read your links, Spargo - thanks!

Wow those guys are OBSESSIVE!!

Loved that quote:

but last time I checked I haven 't sold too many cars, while BMW has been quite succesful.

Lucky they've had a bit of practice with Turbo diesels then isn't it.

Dude, its dynoing out of the box with more power than claimed.

Edit 1: yea it still sucks, 4sec slower round the ring than the E46 M3 http://bmwblog.net/?p=210

edit 2: yea, still sucking, http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=597621 +70whp with mild ignition timing and boost pattern tweeks (page 2)

Thats what BMW want most people to think .... WOW we made a turbo .. its really a special car etc etc

The thing thats just annouyed me .. is the car was built as a stop gap between the 330 and fore coming m3 ... which isnt progress. Yes I know they have done this for years, but if your going to launch a new product atleast do more than two tiny snails / low the compression and have 'revolutionary' variable boost controller(s) ... why Im calling it a marketing tool more than it living up to BMW's engineering potential. That all said and done .. it does what its designed to do well, fill a market gap with a semi -luxary coupe.

I guess they can market it any way they like - I won't be buying one. I could get some decent equity into a renter for that money... at least renters make money, cars lose it. :)

Went to Team McMillan's launch last night - nice food and drinks ... and lots of people.

The new 3 series Coupe was a disappointment to be honest - very minimalistic inside - way too plain for my liking. I did notice that they've gone with plastic front guards and aluminium inner guards. The engine didn't impress either. You had to look hard to see the tiny turbos they used. The person they had there giving out technical advice about the engine also wasn't very good (he pointed to coils and told me they were the injectors - I had to point out to him where the injectors were .. LOL)

The M Coupe was nicer in person than the photos - it's very low slung and had a lot of sporty flares to it (I liked the rear under diffuser) The seating position was also quite nice.

I did snap some photos - will post them up when I get some time.

Edited by M3_Power

Yeah, the bloke they used at JG wasn't much better (bald, Pommy bloke - nice guy, though). A customer was asking what turbos were and his explantion was very dodgy and I did think he had no idea himself. I explained in layman's terms for him.

to show how small the turbos really are ... gus's beer behind the whole thing

post-373-1158885424_thumb.jpg

Without going into the artform that is turbo dynamics...

Short awnser yes ... what I am saying here is that they have built this engine to fill a gap in the market .. it is what it is ... my big hack off with it .. is it could be sooo much more with A) high flowing turbo(s) and B) m3 eater. However limitations on the block would restrict much past about 550hp as its alloy.

550 bhp?

Bloody hell, I well remembe rin my youth a hot-rod friend getting 300 bhp from a Chevy 450 (or it might have been a 350) anyway a large Detroit V8, certainly not a little 3 litre six. Scary stuff.

Yuen, it was about 90 minutes of free booze and food, before they unveiled the cars.

Oh I see, still wish I could have been there though!

To the guys who are saying the 335i wasn't impressive, I'm very surprised, because all I've heard about it is how good it is. Have any of you test driven it yet? As that seems to be the most impressive bit, some people even say it feels (note, feels!) faster than the E46 M3.

And here's a video from a fellow member of another forum, he videotaped his round of a hot lap with a professional driver driving the 335i at one of the BMW marketing days in the USA.