Sign in to follow this  
BMW POWER

Emma is car hunting!

Hi Guys

The kid of the family is finally buying a car! I'm at that stage.. nearing restricted and after my own manual to practice in.

I've got the approval of buying an E30 from the parents.. Dad's actually looking through newspapers as we speak!

So - I've got two possible vehicles in mind:

a)1988-1991 316i MANUAL.

b)1988-1991 318i MANUAL.

I know finding the right E30 Manual is near impossible and that why I am asking for some information from the wise E30 gods. Andy (stz) gave me a E30 link and quite a bit of info a while back.Was useful - thanks Andy.

The Service Manager (Stuart) at work (Armstrong Merc- don't laugh :P) Has told me that i'm not buying a car until the workshop gives it the once over and approval - and also said he can organise pre-purchase inspections with our sister dealership in Christchurch. So have the Otago-Cantebury bases covered in that regards.

I have spoken to the Sales Manager(Lyndon) also regarding pricing, economy and reliability of his 88 316 Auto.He said it is economical and reliable - no major problems. Offered to check pricing etc.Though he also suggested go Japanese for major reliability but knows that i'm quite inclined to the Europeans...

Between those two guys I should get a bloody good car at a bloody good price, hopefully.

So basically I'd just liek to know technical information about the facelift E30 4 cyl manuals.Known problems.. horror stories, economy issues etc. Also approximate price for a well looked after manual.I'd prefer the South Island as it would cost a bit for transport from the N.I. (Though could be arranged through work?)Also info regarding insurances,maintanence etc.

Should I follow Lyndons advice of at least looking at Japanese cars.. Or is it actually feasable for a 15 year old to have an E30? Has been my dream for the past 3 years, and i have $4.5k to play with.If anyone knows of any 88 manuals in the S.I. could you please let me know.. or even better keen an eye out?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Em.

Hi Guys

The kid of the family is finally buying a car! I'm at that stage.. nearing restricted and after my own manual to practice in.

I've got the approval of buying an E30 from the parents.. Dad's actually looking through newspapers as we speak!

So - I've got two possible vehicles in mind:

a)1988-1991 316i MANUAL.

b)1988-1991 318i MANUAL.

I know finding the right E30 Manual is near impossible and that why I am asking for some information from the wise E30 gods. Andy (stz) gave me a E30 link and quite a bit of info a while back.Was useful - thanks Andy.

The Service Manager (Stuart) at work (Armstrong Merc- don't laugh :P) Has told me that i'm not buying a car until the workshop gives it the once over and approval - and also said he can organise pre-purchase inspections with our sister dealership in Christchurch. So have the Otago-Cantebury bases covered in that regards.

I have spoken to the Sales Manager(Lyndon) also regarding pricing, economy and reliability of his 88 316 Auto.He said it is economical and reliable - no major problems. Offered to check pricing etc.Though he also suggested go Japanese for major reliability but knows that i'm quite inclined to the Europeans...

Between those two guys I should get a bloody good car at a bloody good price, hopefully.

So basically I'd just liek to know technical information about the facelift E30 4 cyl manuals.Known problems.. horror stories, economy issues etc. Also approximate price for a well looked after manual.I'd prefer the South Island as it would cost a bit for transport from the N.I. (Though could be arranged through work?)Also info regarding insurances,maintanence etc.

Should I follow Lyndons advice of at least looking at Japanese cars.. Or is it actually feasable for a 15 year old to have an E30? Has been my dream for the past 3 years, and i have $4.5k to play with.If anyone knows of any 88 manuals in the S.I. could you please let me know.. or even better keen an eye out?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Em.

Becuase manuals are so hard to find you might want to condier this car

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=69087989 and coverting it to manual cost at a guess would be between $1000 TO $1500.

we converted our race car from auto to manual and the job was pretty straight forward providing you can find a maunual donor car or conversion kit

Cheers hove

My 318i would have been perfect. i sold it for $3500, was a 1988 318i manual 2 door, 154,000km, NZ new, very good condition. Like I say, WOULD have been perfect. It's becoming an E30 series car now.

But yea, $2500 to $4500 buys an average to mint condition E30 316/318 manual. Chch is a good place to look if you don't want to go to the NI to find one- lots of older people with low mileage/ownership cars if you root around the plusher suburbs.

^ most for sale are being snapped up for the series. interesting they're using the higher end of the spectrum to start with.

you can get a fairly tidy 316/318 f/l for very little moeny if you know where to look, and aren't afraid of buying something that needs a little tlc... had something that would have been perfect, last week, and is residing in my driveway until sometime next week. very tidy wee car.... is also becoming a series car. If you want one that badly then go nuts, no point putting off the inevitable by buying somehting you don't really have a love for, then getting one a year or so down the track, as prices will probably go up a fair biit soon I'm picking

Edited by CaM

FL 316/318 have two common problems. They have tendancy to snap cam belts like clock work. So make sure you know when it was last changed in any car you are considering buying.

The tappets can be very noisy in cars that have not had regular maintainance, for that matter even cars with good service records and low mileages can suffer this problem too. It is really more of an annoyance than a major problem, but it results in premature cam wear which in turn kills off the engine performance at high revs.

A new cam, rockers and lifters is the only fix, but this cost more than the car is worth to have done.

with the resources you have mentioned Emma I am sure you will find one!Good Luck!

Thanks heaps guys!

Are the pre-fl 1.8 engines chain driven and the fl's belt driven?

Yes i gathered the CHCH was a good place to find one - found two 316 Manuals there a few weeks ago. One dodgey as hell (Sold under car dealers private TM for 3k, came back 2 weeks later under his dealer name, 4k with a new set of mags) and one was sold unfortunately.

Hove - 2.0 Manual - N/A. 4cyl.

well my cousin is selling his white coupe e30 316i manual but not till later next year:/

there were at least 4 or 5 candidates on tradme last night,mostly in Auckland.Its not such a big Deal Emma I think the Ferries have a vehicle special til xmas of $99.I am sure some of the Auckland Gurus will ookat some cars for ya!

Thanks heaps guys!

Are the pre-fl 1.8 engines chain driven and the fl's belt driven?

Yeah, got it in one.

Will add a few things as I think of them - M40's are apparently notorious for snapping cambelt's - so check that its been done and that its been labelled etc.

Edited by E30stz

well my cousin is selling his white coupe e30 316i manual but not till later next year:/

Oh gutted. :(

there were at least 4 or 5 candidates on tradme last night,mostly in Auckland.Its not such a big Deal Emma I think the Ferries have a vehicle special til xmas of $99.I am sure some of the Auckland Gurus will ookat some cars for ya!

Yes I saw that! Could actually be a possibility.We get new cars arriving from Auckland all the time, so I could ask how much it is in total to get a car freighted in from Auckland.

Yeah, got it in one.

Will add a few things as I think of them - M40's are apparently notorious for snapping cambelt's - so check that its been done and that its been labelled etc

Cheers Andy.Haven't seen ya around much mate!

Off to study now.

Edited by BMW POWER

get a honda.

seriously.

you wont regret it, ask dave.

vtek y0

Something constructive there Damien :)

Cheers but I've actually sussed out Rondas and.. narr.

(WTF is up with my quotes!Grr)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=67879552

could be perfect, if it hasn't already sold. Great looker, service history, NZ new, manual and a sunroof. What more could you want?

That is pretty mint actually! I'll keep my out and check whether it has sold or not.Cheers mate.

That is pretty mint actually! I'll keep my out and check whether it has sold or not.Cheers mate.

do you want me to go have a look at it for you?

do you want me to go have a look at it for you?

Have requested a re-list of the car. It is in palmy though, might be better to get your long lost love Sparkle to have a look (unless Grant is your very obliging secret lover of course)

Edited by ThreeOneEight

are you sure its in palmy? says kapiti???

either way happy to look at it, and could even put it on ferry if you get it.

Ahh, silly me, it said serviced at BMW in Palmerston North, didn't look at the rest. Yes, Kapiti. Funny, cos I bought my white e30 from Raumati. Must be a good place to find one!

Oh wow you guys are mint! Definitely going to have a look into it - will discuss with Dad tonight and keep you guys updated.Thanks guys.