Sign in to follow this  
nz320i

getrag 260 rebuild

Gidday guys and girls,

After driving my car around town to get here and there, im now sick of the changes from 1st to 2nd,

You can feel the gear go into 2nd through your arm its quite loud and clunks a bit (especially when cold) , also at higher revs the gearbox kinda whines a wee bit, although the changes are really good nice 3rd 4th 5th...

Is it worth ripping it out and trying to rebuild and put new bearings in , or what is a rough estimate of taking it somewhere???

Any help sweet!

Also any idea of how hard it is to replace the thermostat?? my car wont get that warm anymore like it sits under where it always used to (half way) .... would this be a bust thermostat??

i have a complete 1987 320i with damaged engine might sell the manual box seperate what would you pay .

Gearbox rebuilds are costly, especially if you go through a mechanic, but the end result would be worth while. If you buy a 2nd hand gearbox there's still the chance that it'll need attention anyway not to mention the swap. My synchros are fine but my input bearing is naff, makes a horrible rattle in neutral with the clutch out, but you learn to live with it.

First stop IMO should be to do an oil change and stick in some decent oil, get some redline MTL synthetic - same stuff you stick in the diff.

would pay up to $350ishhh ?? reasonable?

another thing you can try (lat resort) is to try some gear oil stabilizer. I think i'll do it to my box... i used this stuff for 1000's k's in my subaru (weak gearboxes) and it improved things noitcably. the one I had in my subaru was 'lucas' brand.. white tube - manual gearbox tranny treatment @ supercheap. I'd advise overfilling a bit with normal oil after applying that - that stuff makes oil climb gears, so there's more oil on the top secontion, therefore less in the bottom section and you would like to keep the bottom secion oil at the same level...

thermostat is a quick swap.

rebuild gearbox... well.. assuming i'd took it out of my car, disassembled it it myself, what parts would i need to replace ? synchro(s), bearings, anything else ? estimate $$$ for parts in NZ ?

[edit to fox numerous spelling mistakes]

Edited by mops

rebuild gearbox... well.. assuming i'd took it out of my car, disassembled it it myself, what parts would i need to replace ? synchro(s), bearings, anything else ? estimate $$$ for parts in NZ ?

If you're rebuilding then synchros, bearings, seals, and clutch parts. Then you might aswell do the pilot bearing, mounts, selector knuckle and gyro while you at it and if you don't have the Z3 lever then do that aswell. I'm going to have stab at $1000 for the lot. Edited by Carl