Sign in to follow this  
ozzy

e36 manual conversion

just wondering if any one has undertaken this??

how much could be be expected to be spent??

how easy are parts to find??

where would i find a manual gearbox??

any info would be great thanks

theres a few varying factors involved.

1) Availablity - not readily available generally but always on offer from places like SDeuropean if you are prepared to mortgage the house a few more times.

2) Model - some model manual gearboxes come up more often than others .. if its an M42 engine theres a couple of them around at the moment for quite a reasonably price. Others are generally more hard to find and owners are generally not too interested in parting engine from box.

I hear www.sdeuropean.co.nz will do a manual conversion kit installed and with some sort of warranty (i think) .. for between $3-4k but at that price your probably better off selling and buying the car you want in manual.

Edited by E30stz

i wouldnt mind buying a gearbox/engine combo because my engine is getting tired, i have a e36 320i, whats the engine code for the engine in this car?? sorry bmw newcomer still trying to get up to speed with everything

would trademe be the best place to find parts ??

M50B20 is your engine.

by the looks of it I dont think trademe has any right at hte second. I've heard people talking about using a Getrag 260 from an E30 325i but there is some basic modifications that need to be done, but I believe this will end up costing you much less in the long run.

Expect to pay a bit more for new consumables ie. clutch kit, short shifter, new linkages, mounts etc. etc.

Give www.sdeuropean.co.nz a ring and just ask for a quote to get your 9? BMW 320i E36 a manual gearbox put in.

Edited by E30stz

yeah it does look like a pretty good buy, but please make sure it will work before going ahead as I cant speak from experience personally. Also that is only the gearbox alone, you will need pedal box, and other bits.

Yes

Up to $4000

Gearbox,start looking you may find one inside a year.Everything else,easy,BMwarehouse(new)

Start calling the wreakers,and keep calling and calling and calling.

The e30 gearbox will fit the block,but nothing else.

The shifter may or may not work?youl need a custom driveshaft,crossmember etc.It may or may not save you money.

Also depending on the year of your car it may have a m52b20.

Ps. its deffinatly a better car in manual.

i have a 5spd kit . $2k from 92 320ci

custom drive shaft and cross members, thats a bit more than a thought, i figured mounts would be different, thanks anyways but being a uni student 2k is abit out of my budget,i suppose thats the going rate for a 5 spd tho, and after finding out all that other stuff its prob pretty close to 2k if getting a mechanic to do the work

i might have to rethink my options,

does any one know what the auto transmission's can handle in the way of a power increase, my guess is that they are not desgined to handle much more than std

Hey Ozzy, I've just completed an E36 Manual Conversion 3 weeks ago [it's worth doing,I've already done 1000km's in it] I originally purchased a E34 manual conversion hoping to adapt it over [This wasn't worth the hassle,so I sold it] BUY A E36 MANUAL CONVERSION, IT IS WORTH IT IN THE END! the only real hiccup is trying to thread the clutch hard line behind the engine [most auto-manual forums are for LHD E36's] Starter inhibiter & reverse lights are easy to do. I was lucky and sold my Auto [so they pulled it for me] When you buy a conversion, GET EVERYTHING [even the starter bolts are different] You say you're interested in a Manual Conversion including a Motor [a wrecker would sting you $1500 for a Motor & $2000 for the conversion] I'd consider trading the car in on a manual E36 [could be cheaper] I know where there is a complete E36 325 thats rusty that has a manual conversion for sale! PM me and I'll set you up with the contact [and any other advice on this subject if needed]

Syncrosmash Rules. . . . .Kerry