Sign in to follow this  
TronSpec

Rangi Oil Catch Can

Ha ha look what I found on trademe for $20. :D

Gonna Clean it up and paint it black no one will even notice :ph34r:

post-746-1159348103_thumb.jpg

Haha Didn't end up getting that one in the first picture. He'd allready sold it to a mate and relisted by accident.

Ended up buying this. From a guy in auck's that fab's them up and flicks them on trademe. Includes filter and fittings... Very impressed :D $100 incl

post-746-1159522312_thumb.jpg

can someone please explain how these work ? also any pro's and con's.

With every motor brand new or old you get a little bit or alot of blow by (unburnt oil that bypass's the oil ring seals). Usually there's a breather line off the rocker cover somewhere that goe's back to your intake manifold. Most manufacturers plumb it back into the intake in hope that it will be burnt off. This is what fouls up your intake.

I can't see any con's to go with a oil catch can. As far as I know there's just pro's. No more shitty old oil getting sucked back into the motor!! Basically! :ph34r:

do the fumes still go back to the intake?And presumably at some time you have to empty the catch bottle?

do the fumes still go back to the intake?And presumably at some time you have to empty the catch bottle?

Correct and correct

fuem generally don't go back into the intake with thsese setups, thus the filter on the top of the catch can.

you can plumb them so they do though.

all the euros I've ever seen make a hell of a mess in the intake form blow by. bought one of these of the same guy today, for the pug. should be great

I have a catch can with a drain at the bottom and one near the top.

I plumbed the bottom one back into the sump. I drilled a hole through the centre of the sump plug and welded a barb on to it. So i did not have to modify the sump.

f**k that sounds dodgey..... :blink:

my one of these turned up today. damn well made if I do say so myself. will post pics when I get round to fitting it up

I plumbed the bottom one back into the sump. I drilled a hole through the centre of the sump plug and welded a barb on to it. So i did not have to modify the sump.

not a good idea to drill a hole through your sump plug. <_<

I have a catch can with a drain at the bottom and one near the top.

Dude. That sounds scary. What happens when a rock or curb, any thing hits the plug. it will break off and drain your sump, if you dont pic it up in time you will F*&K your motor. It may never happen. you may bee sweet. but i would be paranoid every time i heard a bump under the car.

I had a bash plate to protect the plug.

Plus the plug is hollow. I always kept a spare plug in the tool tray. Just in case.

Keep 5 litres of oil in the car aswell?

Wat if it gets knocked hard on the motorway, oil spews out, tyres hit oil, car hits wall......

Do you know what an e30 smash/skid plate looks like?

Because my 325i was so low, I needed it anyway. It saved me carrying around a spare sump.

If I need oil, I just call *222, easy.