Sign in to follow this  
BMRBOI

Programming ECU

hey i have a 325i e36, the ECU needs to be reprogrammed due to something stuffing up who does this kind of work?

hey i have a 325i e36, the ECU needs to be reprogrammed due to something stuffing up who does this kind of work?

If it is a factory computer you should be able to get your local BMW dealer to do it.

yeah ild love a link but dont have the money, and the bmw shop over charges. It just needs a reprogram

Guest Andrew

yeah ild love a link but dont have the money, and the bmw shop over charges. It just needs a reprogram

why?

Is it VANOS or non-VANOS? does it have EWS? or OBDii? give us a clue

pull the DME [ECU] out and give us the numbers we then might be able to help

Hey 3pedals, I couldn't agree more! Apart from an electrical short [or accident damage] the only thing that can go wrong with these is the information they receive or a spike in the program [thats why I have a couple laying around,'cause our friendly BMW dealer can re-flash the computer for less than the cost of a second hand unit]

My E36 had an idling & running rich problem When I unplugged the VANOS it went better [so I thought I should replace it]

It turned out that some F**KWIT had been in there before [when they slipped the VANOS on, they advanced the cam 18degrees,when the VANOS advanced the cam a further 18 degrees,total 36degrees it rattled it's arse off]

The computer was amazing by managing to keep the enginge running, I simply retimed the engine [Thanks to "Pelican Parts" on the web] an everything fixed themselves

You have given BMRBOI sound advice, "GET A FULL DIAGNOSTIC DONE FIRST"

Does anybody know the difference between the Siemens MS 40.1 and 41.1 computers?

Does anybody know the difference between the Siemens MS 40.1 and 41.1 computers?

Siemens MS41 is used with EWS, so you need an EWS module & an ignition key with the chip inside to get it to run.

you can get non-EWS programs from the USA to disable this

sorry about the late reply. it has been to a dealer which they told me i had lots of errors. they said it needs to be reprogrammed. As for information I don’t know any tech information. It’s a non vanos New Zealand new E36 325i 1992 manual. Maybe someone can help me with the rest? What kind of interferences can happen? The engine has no head on it at the moment. So it cant drive any other way of checking it?