Sign in to follow this  
oldskoolbma

cracked sump? how much to fix?

i cracked my sump on my 1990 e30 316i on the weekend on country roads, fukin bugger man.

any 1 have an idea as to how much it will cost to fix??

cheers

josh

duct tape... $2.

Or the other end off the price scale, "New Car $4500.00"

[should be somewhere in between these prices]

just buy another off trade me and swap them onver while you do an oil change, or it can be welded. mine has been, dont know how much too fix prob not much if you took it out and got it welded

Edited by nz320i

True, there must be a ton of M20 sumps out there. Alternatively, if the crack is minor just take it off and get it welded at an engineering place, stick it back on with a new gasket and your looking at just the gasket and welding cost.

I cracked mine not so long ago. $20 for welding and about $40 for gasket and gasket glue and new oil.

If it is in good condition then welding is the go. Sometimes older sumps don't weld too well. The important thing is for it to be clean before it is welded. A good engineering shop wouldn't try to weld it dirty and would sepnd some time making sure it was totally clean around the are to be welded.

cheers for the help guys, at the moment if what u guys are telling me works out then hopefully it not gunna b too expensive, i was dreading the thought that it was gunna cost me sh*t loads to fix, is welding a good reliable option tho???

Its hard to say. It dependson the skill of the welder and the condition of the metal and the size and shape of the crack. My weld is sweet - no leaks at all. The engineer who did it said he had some problems with the metal "star crackign" at first but managed to sort it out. Basccally for $20odd I would try the weld and if it looks good then use your sump. If it doesn't work, put it down to experience and buy a new secondhand sump.

It is very easy to weld a sump!!! My brother cracks his quite often even with a protective plate! Just make sure you use good gasket glue when putting it back on or you will have major leakage probs, as I figured out the hard way!

So yeh, we do all our own welding but it doesnt take much so im very positively sure it wont cost much!

i have had mine done and it was done by a guy rob on maleme street tauranga, sweet guy my dad is mates with him, to totally fix it just cost me a bottle of appletons rum (4 rob) , an afternoon (4-5 hrs), e30 workshop manual and a bit of common sense.

will post pix if you want... :D