Sign in to follow this  
Silver Fox

diff tag

Diff tag reads, 41:10 04 09 can anyone tell me what it is please?post-1118-1159924721_thumb.jpg

That's what I thought too Andy, but it has a different drain plug layout on the back to my others?

out of curiousity which car did it come off .. generally the 318i's had small case 4.1's didnt they. My 316i 1.8 had a 4.27 on it.

Yeah, my 316 is a 4.27, but my other 318's a 4.45? Is there such a beast?

Guest Andrew

The diff tags either say the ratio like 4.10:1 or like yours;

41:10 - 41/10 = 4.1

Like my LSD is 38:11 so 3.46:1

Yes there is a 4.45 and 4.47

it is a medium case diff

andy..jump on this. seriously.

As Andy said, 41 and 10 is just the number of teeth, 41/10 = 4.1

I'm running a 40:11 = 3.64 (2dp), others are:

3.91 = 43:11

3.83 = 42:11

3.73 = 41:11

Edited by Carl

so, apart from size, what are the advantages/disadvantages of this diff over a small case one? Do they both fit the same setup?

Small case is considerably lighter but obviously not as sturdy as the medium case.

Yeah, definately the medium case, just pulled a small case 4.1 out of my spare shell, considerately smaller and lighter.

Small case is 28.5 kg, medium case is 37.5 kg, 9 kg heavier. If the medium case is stronger, is it a better choice, the extra weight is low and at the back, no real problem?

i would keep the small unless you want to play around with weight distribution..not a bad place to put it. (if you need ballast with e30 series a good idea)

my rationale behind andy using one is that the 325i will not kill a med case open diff (unless misused)....we're kinda unsure about the small case but i would much rather replace now than in the pits during a race.

Thanks for that Gus, this diff is destined for my new Series car as I need a 4.1 diff for it. Would be prepared to swap for a small case 4.1 if someone wanted to, but would have to happen in the next couple of weeks for it to work for me?

Guest Andrew

Thanks for that Gus, this diff is destined for my new Series car as I need a 4.1 diff for it. Would be prepared to swap for a small case 4.1 if someone wanted to, but would have to happen in the next couple of weeks for it to work for me?

Will exchange a small case 4.1 for your medium.

happy famillies?

god...another round of diff swaps for gus!

pm'd Andy. You better get the tools out Gus.

Edited by Silver Fox

Pic showing driveshaft end.post-1118-1160004462_thumb.jpg

that looks odd

whats up with that? normally just a 4 bolt

Diff's as I got it, don't know the story behind it at all, same thread and nut in the centre as the small case I took out of my E30. Would think the fittings would just swap?

would imagine so

thought you got outta an e30..was mildly confused!

i would hope they just swap..shouldnt be too hard to find out

Oh well, while we're on the subject of swapping. I too have a spare Med case 4.1 diff for an E30. Usual thing, read the Regs that state must use 4.1 diff and then set off to the BMW dismantles and asked for a 320 4.1 diff. Yes sir which size? Errrr not sure what you mean, so ended up buying both small case and med case 4.1 diff.

So Med case surplus to requirements as is the original 4.4? small case diff (1990 320 AUTO) Travelled 75,000k. Also have auto Gearbox from same 75k car

What cars did the med case diffs come from? E30's or others, and if E30's which varieties? Thanks.

One of my S.A. assembled 318 wrecks had a CV joint at the diff end of the drive shaft instead of a normal universal joint. The 6 bolt flange on your diff my be to suit that set up or something similar.