Sign in to follow this  
_willo_

First time car buyer

Hello. I'm 19 and have saved up about 7k for a car and I'm really interested in getting a BMW. I have looked around at the cars and can get a pretty nice deal for 7k (316i 134k '97). However, what I would like to know is how repairs on BMW's stack up against say a Toyota. Would it be possible to give a figure per year? I've heard if something breaks in a BMW it can cost well over a thousand and would just like to know what to expect if I choose to buy one. Thanks a lot for your time!

Cost of running a BMW can be a bit more than Japs. My 2.5l 323i cost twice as much on petrol cost to go the same distance compare to my Civic. If something break and need fixing, price of parts can suprise you either way depending on what's broken, but if you are handy with spanners, a lot of people here can give you advise.

I was lead to think e36's 4 cyclinder is a bit under-powered for the size of the car, so if I am to buy I'll buy a 6-cyclinder e36 if possible. You should also allow a few hunders dollars for some basic serviceing/styling after you buy your car. Oil change and the likes, alarm, tints, etc... My 2 cents.

Finally, don't forget the insurance!

Edited by my_e36

Hey and welcome to the site :)

If your buying, Stay away from the singapore import models, there are a million reasons, but basically the cars have a hard time in the 98% humidity and hot running conditions. Get jap import.

They cost these days about the same to service as any other vehicle. Sounds like a sweet car, but pay the extra money and get it checked out by BMW ... not the AA or hometune (etc etc) as they will give you the realistics of that particular vehicle. The rest on a BMW is just common sense stuff

Cools..

At 19 years of age it depends on how mechanically inclined you are [at that age I had owned over 30 cars & tinkered with all of them]

For a first time young buyer, try and get the simplest car available [eg: 318 manual E36 vs 735 older sedan]

get the colour you want,the trans you want etc.[$7k should get you a nice reasonably low mileage E36] try and get a car with the sounds & wheels already fitted ,its cheaper than installing them later[let the seller tip his/her money down the drain! not you]

Check out how many 3 series cars are for sale lately [eg:Trade-me] you can take your pick,and they are mostly in good condition. like most fashions,Cars go through phases [beemers are no longer flavour-of-the-month with the Blue-rinse/mutton-dressed-as-lamb set] so right now they are cheap and in good condition at the same time.

As for reliability: I'd rather Own a Beemer than a Subaru

yeah dont buy a subaru if you dont want to change cars quickly and spend heaps on upkeeping

my bro has owned 2 legacy wagons.

1 was a 91 gt turbo wagon. @ 190k his gearbox fell apart and he had to replace it

at 200K his engine gave way so he just traded it in for a newer one

his new 96 wagon is going tru the same thing

engine making weird noise

whole car vibrating at idle

very noisy inside etc..

its just probably how he maintained it, but yeh i dont the older subarus atm...

on the other hand, my beemer hasnt broken down on me or made funny engine noises even at 202XXX k's already. :)

As far as reliability goes. If that is your prime consideration, I'd advise you to go for the Toyota. Their reliability is the milestone against which others are measured.

If you prefer to drive a car which acts like a real car, is great fun to drive and makes you want to drive it, I'd advise you to consider a BMW. A Toyota doesn't do that for me.

If you have your heart set on a BMW - buy one, or you will always wonder.

Personally, I would advise against the 4-cyl models and would be looking at a 325i. You can pick these up at Trademe or Turners car auctions for around the price you wish to pay.

As far as parts costs etc go, yes BMW parts are a little pricey, but then I said the same of Ford when I used to drive them ($249 for ONE hubcap for my wife's Laser in 1990 - needless to say we bought a $14 set from the Warehouse for it), or $600 for the electric window switches in my TX5 etc.

E36s do have common problems, such as the steering rack may be worn out at around 130k (cost around $1200), rear shock mounts have packed up (cost around $350), brake light switch dies (cost around $100 fitted), electric window actuators crap out ($250+) etc All cars have their problems.

It is my personal opinion that one of the reasons BMW fares less well in reliability stakes, is due to the owners more than the cars. For instance, I am a fussy prick and if I hear any noise at all that I consider abnormal, or any squeak in the plastic etc - I can't hack it and it just HAS to be fixed. When I drove Japanese, I simply didn't care about such things. BMW somehow make me care.

I don't like old cars and although many here have E30s, they are not for me. But for you, I do believe it may be worthwhile driving a few to form your own opinion.

Bottom line - its your money and your choice. All the best of luck whichever way you jump. First cars stay with you forever - my first was a 1960 PA vauxhall.

7gs..stick to an e30.

If you're looking at an e36, its going to or can be costly to run, esp when they're over 10+ years.

Ppl here mention buying an e36 6 cyclinder and esp 325i, it can guzzle up a lot of fuel..try on average 14-18L per 100kMS.

certain Parts can be quite expensive, and some cheap. Front wheel bearings are about 28-350 each brand new, if you think you could cope with regular maintenance like this, then go for it..

if you have 7gs and thats it, beaware!

e36 6 cyclinder and esp 325i, it can guzzle up a lot of fuel..try on average 14-18L per 100kMS.

Depends on driving style. Over 3 years I averaged 10.5 l/100km with an E36 325. Almost identical to my E36 318 I had for 3 years before that. My E39 528i retuns about the same as my 325 did, and slightly better most of the time. (I keep log books)

Hey. Thanks for all the great information! Yeah, I am kind of set on a BMW but know pretty much nothing about cars. Don't really care about power as such, more about the comfort and reliability which the cars are said to possess. Cheers!

Hi there, I never post anything, but since you're considering to buy the same car that I'm currently driving, I thought I'd ramble a bit.

Hmm..... even though you say that you don't care much for power and such, you should really be looking at something a bit bigger than a 316. I have a lot of trouble climbing hills, a LOT of trouble, it's just seriously lacking power.

But still, I do enjoy driving a bmw, I don't need to zoom everywhere, it's just comfortable to drive around.

my honda is up for grabs :)

Say it ain't so!!

Whatcha getting now?

an e30

after driving gus' E30 im sold.

bring it on

Well I'm pretty keen on getting a 316i around '97... I really don't care about the power, I'd much rather spend less on petrol. Went into AA today to find out about mechanical warranty they offer, turns out its $1150 for 3 years and excess of $125. I don't quite know whether to get it, although in a 3 year period surely something will break that costs more then a thousand to repair? Any ideas? Also does anyone know about the actual km/L of these cars?

Thanks very much for all the help!

Well I'm pretty keen on getting a 316i around '97... I really don't care about the power, I'd much rather spend less on petrol. Went into AA today to find out about mechanical warranty they offer, turns out its $1150 for 3 years and excess of $125. I don't quite know whether to get it, although in a 3 year period surely something will break that costs more then a thousand to repair? Any ideas? Also does anyone know about the actual km/L of these cars?

Thanks very much for all the help!

You'll get just as much and a bit more out of a 1.8 and you'll find they're pretty much the same price. Economy will be very similar if not same.

I'm of the opinion that your first car should be manual with no power steering. That way, you don't learn laziness.

Kia ora koto 1985, people tend to buy newer cars because there is no need to go without power steering