Sign in to follow this  
kerrynzl

E36 Sunroof is Dead

Little problem here, The Sunroof on my E36 has died.

I probed it with a multi-meter, and there is no power at the fuse

Now,behind the fuse, there is two wires a Red/purple stripe that goes to the Sunroof and a Red/yellow stripe that goes to a power source somewhere

Does anybody know where the other end of this power wire goes to [it goes thru the firewall]

or should I wire it Direct to the battery [at the fuse box]as an easy fix

cheers everyone. . . . . .Kerry

i have complete mech from a coupe

i have complete mech from a coupe

Thanks for the offer Brent!

My sunroof works OK if I bridge the fuse from another power source in the Fuse-box.

I just need some Info on where the power source for the Red/yellow stripe wire comes from.[eg; a relay that is controlled by a delay or whatever] this wire goes thru the firewall

if it is a relay, where is it?

Regards Kerry

If the comfort relay is Toast, wouldn't that affect my windows as well ???[mine are working fine]

does it hurt to wire this live?

aslong as its fused it wont make a difference, just do it and if you have any problems with any other eletrics in your car go back to it, but i think you should be ok to wire it live, i cant find a diagram for your car with a red/yellow wire going anywhere round it, according to the diagrams i did look at thoe its just coming straight from the power distrubution block and fused then the red/purple stripe to your sunroof, my geuss would be that the red/yellow wire is going to a relay that is switched by the ACC power alowing the constant 12v through, you can bypass the relay with a constant 12v just make sure its fused and your sunroof will work at all times when car turned off.

I found the 'comfort Relay' behind the Glovebox [ the red/yellow is fed from it]

I bridged from the Red to the Red/Yellow via an inline fuse with spade terminals ,The Sunroof now is working OK

[i'll try and get a relay tomorrow]

Thanks everybody on this forum for the help I got