Simota CAI

Arrived today :D

So out with the old

Posted Image

and in with the new

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'll go for a drive tomorrow. Knackered after a long day at work.

How much did it set you back incl delivery ? I was looking at getting one but not so sure.

Pretty bloody cheap IMO.

$175 inl GST and delivery.

www.autopassion.co.nz

Speak to Basil.

Pretty bloody cheap IMO.

$175 inl GST and delivery.

www.autopassion.co.nz

Speak to Basil.

Basil is a bloody good fella. I recomend him highly

Basil is a bloody good fella. I recomend him highly

looks good by the way

Looks nice, I want one for myself...

So is it a pod filter underneth a heat shield? Does it give you that deep induction sound?

Wow, that is a good deal.

How can you resist trying it? :rolleyes:

Looks cool, if you're into that sort of thing.

Just took the car for a short hoon.

don't know if there is actual horsepower gain.

BUT I did notice

1) Slightly hornier sounding car from 2500rpm onwards (still have my exhaust flap and cats and resos)

2) Definitely sharper throttle response from 2000rpm - feel more rev happy.

I'll be awaiting fuel consumption when I fill up and see if there is a difference.... maybe not as I'll be mashing the throttle from now on :D

Just took the car for a short hoon.

don't know if there is actual horsepower gain.

BUT I did notice

1) Slightly hornier sounding car from 2500rpm onwards (still have my exhaust flap and cats and resos)

2) Definitely sharper throttle response from 2000rpm - feel more rev happy.

I'll be awaiting fuel consumption when I fill up and see if there is a difference.... maybe not as I'll be mashing the throttle from now on :D

Keep us updated on the fuel consumption. I expected to see a price higher than the US one converted to NZD.. but whoa... it's cheap! Thinking of getting one now... must.. resist. Hey, did you get the same accessories as the one in the picture? And do you know how to clean it? Is there a kit like the K&N filter cleaner kit? Simota's site has one, I wonder if you use that, and if so, is it available for a decent price in NZ.

Keep us updated on the fuel consumption. I expected to see a price higher than the US one converted to NZD.. but whoa... it's cheap! Thinking of getting one now... must.. resist. Hey, did you get the same accessories as the one in the picture? And do you know how to clean it? Is there a kit like the K&N filter cleaner kit? Simota's site has one, I wonder if you use that, and if so, is it available for a decent price in NZ.

Yep the kit came with everything BUT i have yet to install the bracing as it is a real snug fit already and I couldn't find a good place to brace it. I will probably have to buy a self tapping screw and screw it onto the bodywork just north of the strut tower and behind the headlight assembly OR I may get a longer piece and attach it directly to the strut.

I have a method of cleaning a pod filter

1) remove from car

2) Wash in warm soapy water with dishwashing liquid

3) Dry

4) respray the oil - use a spray bottle and you can buy the filter oil from Repco/supercheap

5) reinstall into car.

Works like a treat everytime.

You could buy the K&N filter recharge kit from Repco for about $30~$35 I think.

Cheers.

Edited by lidistick

Yep the kit came with everything BUT i have yet to install the bracing as it is a real snug fit already and I couldn't find a good place to brace it. I will probably have to buy a self tapping screw and screw it onto the bodywork just north of the strut tower and behind the headlight assembly OR I may get a longer piece and attach it directly to the strut.

I have a method of cleaning a pod filter

1) remove from car

2) Wash in warm soapy water with dishwashing liquid

3) Dry

4) respray the oil - use a spray bottle and you can buy the filter oil from Repco/supercheap

5) reinstall into car.

Works like a treat everytime.

You could buy the K&N filter recharge kit from Repco for about $30~$35 I think.

Cheers.

Sweet, cheers :)

I brought one too from Basil yesterday. Should get it today.

Good value considering the US price. Basil said this price is only available to forum members.

Cheers

11.15am......all fitted up. Sounds good.....looks good and I must say the motor does feel a bit more responsive.

The only negative: friggen hose clips supplied are sh*t. Get good quality SS hose clips when you fit it.

Everything else..... awsome

Cheers

What kind of BMW do you have botany?

I have an e36 1993 and I've had a look at the original airbox and can see a plug going into the bottom.. Did you have that on yours?

Cheers

What kind of BMW do you have botany?

I have an e36 1993 and I've had a look at the original airbox and can see a plug going into the bottom.. Did you have that on yours?

Cheers

My car is a '97 E36 318 TI with an M52 2.8 litre engine. The CAI is made for cars 1996 on. You would need to check with the suppliers. Ring basil 0272244750