Sign in to follow this  
jjs

How do I tell if my car is 'vanos'?

Is there any way of telling if my car is vanos? Should i look for anything or will there be a difference in the VIN number?

Thanks in advance

Yeah all m50's after early 93 are vanos. Where is your oil filler cap located?? Vanos is towards the front of the valve cover and nonvanos is towards the back of the valve cover.

Yeah all m50's after early 93 are vanos. Where is your oil filler cap located?? Vanos is towards the front of the valve cover and nonvanos is towards the back of the valve cover.

I have a M50B20 Vanos with the oil filler at the back and a M52B28 Vanos with the oil filler at the front [depends on year]

Have a look at your engine , beside the oil filter next to the rocker cover there is a solenoid that is approx 80mm long 30mm dia & horizontal that screws into the timing cover [it has a wire coming out of it]

I have a M50B20 Vanos with the oil filler at the back and a M52B28 Vanos with the oil filler at the front [depends on year]

Have a look at your engine , Beside the oil filter next to the rocker cover there is a solenoid that is approx 80mm long 30mm dia & horizontal that screws into the timing cover [it has a wire coming out of it]

That is the Vanos unit

post-1015-1160893591_thumb.jpg

Simple, just look at the engine, at the front of the engine (right in front of the engine fan) the valve cover will have an extra bulge, while non-VANOS engines won't have it. That's the VANOS unit.

Have a look at your engine , beside the oil filter next to the rocker cover there is a solenoid that is approx 80mm long 30mm dia & horizontal that screws into the timing cover [it has a wire coming out of it]

Have a look at your engine , Beside the oil filter next to the rocker cover there is a solenoid that is approx 80mm long 30mm dia & horizontal that screws into the timing cover [it has a wire coming out of it]

That is the Vanos unit

My bad.. Thanks for the correction Kerry