Sign in to follow this  
Guest Andrew

Various questions - for E36 M3 and E39 owners

Guest Andrew

M3 owners - any of you have a tow bar on your car? What is it rated to tow?

E39 owners - anyone have a tow bar on car? What is is rated to tow, how to 528/530s go - or will I need an m5 to get my speed thrills.

I need a BMW.. really, I do.

I haven;t towed with my new car but the TB is rated at 1500kg (535i SE) but i often use my old mans X5 (4.8iS) but I tow realtively low weights just a couple of motorbikes

Yep. As far as the braked and unbraked go andrew ,,, alot of it has to do with the percentage of weight of the toe vehicle and suspension but mainly weight.

Get a m3 bro :ph34r:

Edited by MrHamWallet

I've got an e36 M3, but no tow bar, is there still somewhere i can read in my manual about the tow weights or something ?

I was going to put a towbar on my E36 325, but it was going to cost $1500, cos you have to run wires all the way to the front etc or else the computer gets its tits in a tangle and reports lighting faults.

I have one on my E39 528 and have towed heavy trailers with complete ease.

I'd go with a 5 if you are wanting a tow car. If it's just to Pukekohe, then it really doesn't matter.

I'd think an Evo 2 M3 (E36) would have more torque than a 528 or 530.

An M5 or 540 gives you the best of both worlds.

Guest Andrew

Going to test drive a couple of 528s this weekend.

Don't think i'll get insurance on anything with a bigger motor.

They are bloody cheap cars. Anything I should be looking for mechanically (aside from the motor)

This looks bling enough for me - and has nice high ks which means its probably been looked after

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=75367998

Guest Andrew

I don't think daily driving a v8 will be all that fun. Plus I think stock looking e39s are a tad on a fugly side.

I have to agree, today my old man had a work meeting at home while i was TRYING to study. It was great there was 4 black BMWs outside.

3 5 series (mt e34, e39 and e60) and an X5. plus a Jack Daniels Racing stripped 2006 Clubsport.

I love cars, especially when they're black!

But what I was meaning is that the e39 has to be kitted to look great.The one your looking at Andrew is pretty sweet looking!

Edited by Jedski

I don't think daily driving a v8 will be all that fun. Plus I think stock looking e39s are a tad on a fugly side.

Daily driving a v8 is awesome my friend....you see a gap....you take it, simple as that. Around town driving is just so easy you hardly ever get out of second gear and you just seem to waft around town with almost zero effort.

As 3pedals has mentioned the 6's have a slightly better 'driving experience' due to different steering than the v8's and are lighter too, but the grunt from the v8 more than makes up for it.

Suspension can get soft but Ive just had poly bushes put in the 740 and it makes a world of difference. Milages are not a problem they can go intergallactic on the e39's. Just make sure ALL the electrics work, that can get pricey if something isnt going.

Im thinking of getting one for the wife because they are just so cheap at the moment. Ive just seen two e39's go for under 10k ! Admittedly one was cloth and not leather but for 9k I think she could handle that :)

A 528 would do the job, but Id go for a 530 myself. Check out the e39 ultimate guide that someone put up, that covered pretty much everything from what I remember.

I see the link on the sticky is down so try this one

E39 Ultimate Guide

I agree, e39's aren't my thing..

i think most stock BMWs are pretty average looking.Add some nice wheels lower a bit and some // M bodykit parts and its a different story.Very Subtle sometimes but can makea big difference,eg std E34 vs "sports".Theres a 530d on trade me atm..supposedly one of the E 39s according to that guide Martyn posted