Sign in to follow this  
my_e36

Expiry of points on licence

as topic...

do they expire 2 year after they are in place (like how frequent flyer miles or FlyBuys points expires)

or

do they drop the points ONLY after 2 years of no more points deducted? (regardless of when your first points were deducted)

I know they will drop the lot if you go over 100 & lose licence. But what if I don't? How & when do I get my points back?

Thanks in advance!

I'm pretty sure that points accumulate over a 18mth period. If you don't get any demerit points over this period I think you get them wiped clean and start again.

I thinks...... :ph34r:

It's 2 years. The wording in the road code is ambiguous. I have email LTNZ and asked them as I too would like to know. I'll let you know what they say.

The lazy ass mofo's never replied to my email so I rang them. The telephone operator didn't know so I was put through to someone who did. The points expire two years from the date of issue regardless of whether you accrue more points.

If you accrue 100 points in a 2 year time frame, then you face a license suspension. A license suspension of 6 months or more wipes any points you may have sitting there from other offenses, and I assume if you get a 3 month suspension BECAUSE of 100 points, then those points are also wiped.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

If you lose your licence. You start from scratch again.

Otherwise it is a roll-on, roll-off system. If you get a ticket on 1 Jan 2004, it will disappear on 31 Dec 2005. And so on. You can live eternally on 2 tickets. Just remember when you accumulate them. If you work on them being worth 35 points (as they used to be) you should keep your licence.

Cheers for that... gotta be careful now... I'm on 70 points, 9 months to go for my first ticket to reach 2 years.

Edit: typo

Edited by my_e36