Sign in to follow this  
aenima

engine hesitation prob

Hi guys,

Just experiencing a problem at the moment with my bmw.

When I put my foot down to accelerate, the engine will make a deepish sound... stutter for a bit... and then eventually kick in. It only happens sometimes, I first noticed it yesterday. I've had a few close calls lately going through roundabouts because I go to accelerate and nothing happens, I'm a sitting duck.

Any thoughts as to what the problem could be?

My spark plugs were changed about 8,000kms ago, I run the car on 95 octane.

Thanks in advance

Is it Vanos?

Hesitation & a Death Rattle are symtoms of a faulty Vanos unit [the rattle sounds like detonation, but louder]

otherwise get a BMW diagnostic done [could be a crank or cam position sensor]

It's hard to tell via the internet

check the bolts that hold down the ignition coils on top of the spark plugs .

mine where comming lose and some bolts had come off once .

it definately cant be the vanos. car will keep going even if the vanos is faulty.

Had the issue with it on the e30 M50 and the did the vanos repair kit and that unleashed more power.

if you get a key or screw driver and place it on the vanos unit and put your ear on it, you can hear a vibrating sound..that when u know its out..

Thanks for your help.

I will have a good check of my spark plugs tonight after work, see if I can see anything out of place.

I actually have no idea if my car is vanos or not, I'll search for a thread to see how you can tell ;)

Cheers for the link 328imobbin.

Guest Andrew

Thanks for your help.

I will have a good check of my spark plugs tonight after work, see if I can see anything out of place.

I actually have no idea if my car is vanos or not, I'll search for a thread to see how you can tell ;)

Cheers for the link 328imobbin.

what car do you have?

come to think of it im not to sure, i though 92 was the lasty year of non vanos and 93 plus came with vanos, but i could be wrong

Well I got it looked at by a mechanic, he took it for a drive and was amazed at how sluggish it was pre 3,000rpm. He said its most likely to be the fuel filter so he whammed a new one in, aswell as oil change, lube etc.

So anyways $342 later I get it back this morning and after driving it today, it didn't fix the problem, its sooo sluggish its unbareable(sp), not to mention dangerous!!

It seems a common problem on e36's but it looks like folk in the U.S couldn't find an answer for the problem n there were 60+ pages on it...

I'm stuck, what to do? :(

Edited by aenima

I don't really think its a case of being a problem .. just that decent power doesnt hit till about 35-4000rpm ... I dunno, just my 2 cents lol.