Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ari Gold

ESS S/c kit for ESS S/C Kit for M60 engine

Oh bloody hell.

There I was looking at Alpina wheels all last week, then I find a mint 325 with full leather that I fancy as a daily, then a certain little 318is appears on trademe today and now this....

I need a lie down :blink:

Guest Spargo

No, you need a sugar mamma.

edit: that iS makes Andy's purchase look like a bargain! (no offence to Liam, but 320hp for 12.5k? Yes please!)

Edited by Spargo

So....before I get carried away on this, does anyone on here actually know anything about supercharging ?

Im looking at the ESS website and there are serveral versions, but they make one specifically for the e38 4.4 and the X5 4.4. In fact they make several for the e38 740i alone.

People in the States seem to have mixed opinions of it, but I know in Europe its been pretty reliable.

407 bhp and 572Nm !

So....before I get carried away on this, does anyone on here actually know anything about supercharging ?

Im looking at the ESS website and there are serveral versions, but they make one specifically for the e38 4.4 and the X5 4.4. In fact they make several for the e38 740i alone.

People in the States seem to have mixed opinions of it, but I know in Europe its been pretty reliable.

407 bhp and 572Nm !

centrigual superchargers deliver a non linear boost curve;if a kit makes 9 pounds boost at 6000rpm, it will only deliver 3 pounds at 3000rpm, meaning it will only make a noticable increase in power at higher rpms, whereas a rootes type blower will gives a nearly linear boost increase, meaning you will get a good mid-range power/torque increase, but not as much top end as a centrifugal.

Centrifugal blowers can make nice hp/torque numbers on paper, but how they deliver it is not always clearly understood. It all depends what you are after really.

Im not really after anything to be honest, but supercharges for 740's dont come around that often so its worthwhile finding out whether or not it would work for me.

if your going to rev your engine .... then yes this is for you ... if your realistically want more bottom end ...this isnt for you.

you know ... a twin turbo setup whould be nice .. :D 2 x mitsi evo turbos would be perfect ;)

that iS makes Andy's purchase look like a bargain! (no offence to Liam, but 320hp for 12.5k? Yes please!)

Which iS was this?

Edited by 318isCoupe

That blower brings the 4lt up to about 300kW. So a lot of money for not a great return. I'd save a little more and buy an E39 M5.

However for a 7 series, maybe it would be worth it.

That blower brings the 4lt up to about 300kW. So a lot of money for not a great return. I'd save a little more and buy an E39 M5.

However for a 7 series, maybe it would be worth it.

Save a little more !

How many M5's can you pick up for 4k Cain ?

Id like to know what you consider a decent return. Id go from 286 to 407 bhp...thats a 40% increase and more than the e39 M5 puts out.

How many M5's can you pick up for 4k Cain ?

I wan't meaing the $4k, more the $12k to buy. I'm sure it would cost you about $2k more to get installed and working properly too.

7hp more than an E39. Nothing to rave about. The Blown Jag and Range Rover use the same block as the BMW, I believe. Why not drop one of those in.

Someone else has already done the hard work then.

I wan't meaing the $4k, more the $12k to buy. I'm sure it would cost you about $2k more to get installed and working properly too.

im still not sure I get your point.

Say you buy it from new and then you have a reasonable amount to install etc, your still only talking 15k.

To pick up an e39 M5 your going to be paying at least 3 times that....so just saving a little more and buying an M5 (which was your original comment) doesnt make sense to me, especially when this kit is currently at 4k (although I doubt it will sell).