Sign in to follow this  
Matt S B

Beware the tight pedal

I think in all fairness, its a simple mistake for anyone to make ...

I think we all have shoes that really shouldnt be worn while driving.

We all have at some point hit the pedal and slightly missed and press more on the accelarator pedal. Very easy mistake to make in an auto.

Glad it wasn't too bad and everyone was ok ...

I find it worst when ive been driving a Manual for months and hop into an auto and mash the brake pedal down thinking its the clutch :S

And Graham thanks for pointing out what a dead pedal is for, i never really got the point of those lol

Ok, so how do you 'heel toe' an Auto?

you don't ... I just said it's the win (in a manual ofcourse)

Ok, so how do you 'heel toe' an Auto?

you don't ... I just said it's the win (in a manual ofcourse)

Hi Folks

I have read with pleasure alll your feedback re the pedal issue and and have come to a number of comclusions

Thanks for your input it has raised some interesting points

There does seem to be a problem with BMW accelerator/ break pedals being too close together for those of us who have an "E" type foot in Autos ( E type for the uninitiated is a broad toed shoe) I can't wear narrow shoes.

I have to go with Andrew re his comments on Left foot breaking, this is generally an unnnatural reaction especially if you have been trainning your Right foot to break and accelerate for 25 years, I think this would addle my addled brain further, however I understand it may be useful for those in the car racing business.

I will never drive a Fiat under any circumstance

AS it it is put "Noobs" just neeed to learn some of the finer points of owning a BMW, especially the big footed variety.

In all my years of driving I have never had this type of problem before as I have owned mostly Jap cars. However I would not trade my BMW in for any thing, the adjustment the mechanic has made to my break and accelerator pedals has made a huge difference in my foot movement between the pedals and would reccomend it to anyone experiencing this problem.

Also thanks to those who were appreciative of the fact that there was no damage to any other vehicle and very minmal to me

I was hugely relieved at this also as there was the potential for some major carnage

Cheers to all of you who responded, this is a great forum and website

Matt 320

Ps any further feeedback is alsways welcome

Edited by Matt 320

Guest Andrew

Hi Folks

I have read with pleasure alll your feedback re the pedal issue and and have come to a number of comclusions

Thanks for your input it has raised some interesting points

There does seem to be a problem with BMW accelerator/ break pedals being too close together for those of us who have an "E" type foot in Autos ( E type for the uninitiated is a broad toed shoe) I can't wear narrow shoes.

I have to go with Andrew re his comments on Left foot breaking, this is generally an unnnatural reaction especially if you have been trainning your Right foot to break and accelerate for 25 years, I think this would addle my addled brain further, however I understand it may be useful for those in the car racing business.

I will never drive a Fiat under any circumstance

AS it it is put "Noobs" just neeed to learn some of the finer points of owning a BMW, especially the big footed variety.

In all my years of driving I have never had this type of problem before as I have owned mostly Jap cars. However I would not trade my BMW in for any thing, the adjustment the mechanic has made to my break and accelerator pedals has made a huge difference in my foot movement between the pedals and would reccomend it to anyone experiencing this problem.

Also thanks to those who were appreciative of the fact that there was no damage to any other vehicle and very minmal to me

I was hugely relieved at this also as there was the potential for some major carnage

Cheers to all of you who responded, this is a great forum and website

Matt 320

Ps any further feeedback is alsways welcome

Re further feedback - use a pedal from a manual - the brake pedal is MUCH smaller although i'm not sure if it's actually further away from the gas pedal. Don't have a manual e36 to compare to.

Re further feedback - use a pedal from a manual - the brake pedal is MUCH smaller although i'm not sure if it's actually further away from the gas pedal. Don't have a manual e36 to compare to.

Yes thanks Andrew,this was an option we seriously considered as had noted on manual BMW's that the break pedal was much smaller, however my mechanic did a fantastic job and was very quick to add that this was not his first lot of pedal surgery he had done on an auto BMW and he did not need to replace the exsisting break pedal, however it would still remain an alternate option I think to look at using a manual break pedal.

foot also firmly jammed on the break pedal and ? accelerator.

That just happened to me........

This has intrigued me. I have a wide foot too, (my work shoes are extra wide EEE) but I've never found this to be a problem. We do all sorts of things without thinking about it and I had no real idea where my foot position was in normal driving, so I took notice yesterday.

I rest my heel pretty much directly in front of the brake pedal and when I'm on the accelerator, my foot is tipped about 35 degrees to the right accordingly. I tried and I simply could not manage to hit the brake and accelerator together, since when I brake, my foot twists back to straight and doesn't come anywhere near the accelerator.

Have you looked at your foot position? Note - I'm not saying my position is any better or worse or evern different to anyone elses, but I did find it very hard to hit both pedals at once. I think I grew into this over the past 43 years I've been driving, because its a faster and easier action twisting than lifting and moving the foot.

I'm interested to see how you place your feet.

This has intrigued me. I have a wide foot too, (my work shoes are extra wide EEE) but I've never found this to be a problem. We do all sorts of things without thinking about it and I had no real idea where my foot position was in normal driving, so I took notice yesterday.

I rest my heel pretty much directly in front of the brake pedal and when I'm on the accelerator, my foot is tipped about 35 degrees to the right accordingly. I tried and I simply could not manage to hit the brake and accelerator together, since when I brake, my foot twists back to straight and doesn't come anywhere near the accelerator.

Have you looked at your foot position? Note - I'm not saying my position is any better or worse or evern different to anyone elses, but I did find it very hard to hit both pedals at once. I think I grew into this over the past 43 years I've been driving, because its a faster and easier action twisting than lifting and moving the foot.

My foot placement is exactly the same as yours, it just seems natural, and I've never had issues with he brake and gas pedal.

Cheers

Grant

Yes I think there is something in the foot positioning aspect, my tendancy is to have my right foot positioned closer to the accelerator pedal, there is another factor that may have affected my foot positioning in that I have mostly only ever driven manual vehicles and only recently started driving automatic vehicles. My observattions are that manual vehicles tend to have smaller pedals with slightly greater spacing, however with the changes I have made to the pedals this has made me move my foot actively. Believe me I'm not sure what car you drive but I used to be able to hit those two pedals both together at the same time and have talked to others who have done this, It may be a question of foot position and something I will be very aware of in future, thanks for your comment.