Sign in to follow this  
jrgb

4.4 litre into E46 Coupe

Hi All,

Maybe this topic has been discussed previously in the forum, but if it has I must have missed it. Has anyone in NZ tried fitting either the 4.4 or 4.5 litre BMW V8 into an E46 Coupe? We're looking at the possibility of building an M3 GTR clone for Targa and circuit racing, and would be interested in talking to anyone who has already completed this transplant.

We already have the E46, the body panels, and engine ready for the project, and have more or less decided upon all the major mechanical components, but are still very open to ideas and suggestions.

Appreciate your feedback. Cheers!

B)-->

QUOTE(John B @ Nov 18 2006, 12:58 AM) 100446[/snapback]

Hi All,

Maybe this topic has been discussed previously in the forum, but if it has I must have missed it. Has anyone in NZ tried fitting either the 4.4 or 4.5 litre BMW V8 into an E46 Coupe? We're looking at the possibility of building an M3 GTR clone for Targa and circuit racing, and would be interested in talking to anyone who has already completed this transplant.

We already have the E46, the body panels, and engine ready for the project, and have more or less decided upon all the major mechanical components, but are still very open to ideas and suggestions.

I believe someone in the states is close to completion with a 4.4L into an E36.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt...p;highlight=344

Good luck. I'd love to see this :D

Hey,

I would be very keen to come check this out if that would be ok ? If so please Private Meaage me to discuss.

Thanks

Josh

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John B @ Nov 18 2006, 12:58 AM) 100446[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Hi All,

Is this the Green coupe Andy is building? It has been done in Europe, either by Hartge or Alpina, but details are hard to come by.No reason I can think of why it should not be a successful conversion.

Guest Spargo

I saw an S62 in an E46 wagon once, looked pretty damned tough!

The Hartge H50 is this exact conversion, and it sees 200mph pretty easily.

This shouldn't be too harder conversion as its an OBD2 motor going into an OBD2 car - correct?

Hey,

I would be very keen to come check this out if that would be ok ? If so please Private Meaage me to discuss.

Thanks

Josh

Hi Josh,

Still in the planning stages, but as soon as we start I'll let you know. At that stage you are more than welcome to come and check it out.

John

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John B @ Nov 18 2006, 12:58 AM) 100446[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Thanks for the link ... some interesting info on this guy's site.

Cheers, John

Is this the Green coupe Andy is building? It has been done in Europe, either by Hartge or Alpina, but details are hard to come by.No reason I can think of why it should not be a successful conversion.

Yip, you're onto it Conrod. This is one of two E46 V8s that Andy is building. I'm keen on the version he's building for Targa, but definitely not painted green. Either has to be the classic red/white/blue BMW racing livery, or painted in my sponsors colours.

Cheers, John

I saw an S62 in an E46 wagon once, looked pretty damned tough!

The Hartge H50 is this exact conversion, and it sees 200mph pretty easily.

This shouldn't be too harder conversion as its an OBD2 motor going into an OBD2 car - correct?

I think you're right ... this should be a relatively easy swap (compared to others we have done in the past). Not sure how important the 'On-Board Diagnostic' systems will be to us in a racecar (although we haven't really checked out all the functions yet), as we'll be stripping out most of the electrics and probably use a MoTeC ECU.

Cheers, John