Sign in to follow this  
Nobimmer

Installing pod filter

Allright,I got a pod filter today (mainly cos I wanna make a box to go around it :) ) and I run into a pn00b problem.

Ref :pic for my problem lol.

Do I take off the whole cold air box?If so where do I put that wire that is running into the box?

Any help would be much apreciated.

post-1246-1164594389_thumb.jpg

No it goes where the stock air box is - you leave the Air Flow Meter (plastic box sitting on top of alloy thing).

It goes where the shiny box with dytech written on it is.

post-339-1164594734_thumb.jpg

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

Yeah Bravo's right, but you need to take it all off to get at the 4 nuts inside the filter box to take it apart. Your pod should have an adaptor plate which then goes where you took the air box off, and the pod goes on, then refit it all as 1 piece.

Allright,I got a pod filter today (mainly cos I wanna make a box to go around it :) ) and I run into a pn00b problem.

Ref :pic for my problem lol.

Do I take off the whole cold air box?If so where do I put that wire that is running into the box?

Any help would be much apreciated.

Thats a well made CAI must be made in canterbury B) hehe

Thats a well made CAI must be made in canterbury B) hehe

yeah nice one drifty

Ohh sweet as.

To get the unit off to access the 4 nuts,would the easiest way be to undo the first SS hose clip so it all comes undone and unbolt it from the bracket its sitting on and take the nuts out from under where the panel filter goes?Seems easiest way from where I'm looking lol

Cheers

Yeah, the panel filter bit has to go anyway, so undo the hose clip and take it all off. Easiest way to get at those nuts.

Sweet man

noob part 2: I am guessing (more hopeing) that there will be a 77mm inlet attached to the plate that the 4 nuts are on.

If not will I have to make/buy one?

After a few decent talks with guys at Speedfactor and such, BMW's will generally benefit just as much if not more from a performance panel filter, opening up a bigger hole in the front of the factory airbox and ducting to it from the front bumper. Gives a deeper induction noise and everything you get from a pod filter, for less.

Anyone remember the last Pannel Filter thread lol

I got a pod...wanna put it in then make a box around it...just gotta figure out how to stick it in first!

Chur

Heres mine for another example.

I'm not putting my pod in a box just ducting it from the bumber and having a shield just around the inside of it..

post-746-1164823510_thumb.jpg

post-746-1164823547_thumb.jpg

Looks badass,how much the piping and connectors and stuff cost you roughly?

Got mine sitting where the old cold airbox was and seems to be fine.Just need a box...if all goes semi to plan should have it made in a week or two with plastic.

Looks badass,how much the piping and connectors and stuff cost you roughly?

Got mine sitting where the old cold airbox was and seems to be fine.Just need a box...if all goes semi to plan should have it made in a week or two with plastic.

3" mandrel bent stainless...$65 each

Silicon joiners about $2 each

1/4' tube for vaccum lines and had to spend time fitting welding grinding to fit it.

Still rough as I reckon . Could have done it better but I was in a hurry

Question for Whiskey: How does air actually enter the silver box? Have you made any modifications to allow more airflow behind the headlights or just left as is?