Sign in to follow this  
Nobimmer

Starter motor fecked.

What does it mean if when you want to turn the car on and you turn the key over all the way and nothing happens apart from you hear the fuel pump(?) and something else going bzzz.

But once you smack the starter motor pretty hard with a spanner/bit of wood it turns over and runs fine.

This only happens every so often and I haven't found a pattern in which it does it hence me carrying round some timber in my boot!

Any ideas on what it could be?..Thinking starter motor may have had it or maybe not getting enough power to it or something?

Cheers

Ashkan

haha funny, maybe the wiring is f**ked? i dunno, my car did that a couple of times ages ago, ive had good luck for the last year though.?

take it out and look at it? its a c**t to get at!!

Probably crook starter -worn, -do you hit it while the key is held on start? or hit it then try again? if the later then will be the starter.

Have a good one listed here: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=79594136

Or phone or PM me 027 6146607

sounds like starter solenoid...just whack a new starter in there

Ohh sweet.

My ignition has a rangi push button start so I turn the key all the way over,turn the button on and feel/hear the fuel pump go,run out and whack the sh*t out of it till it starts then run over really fast and flick the ignition switch off...If I saw anyone other than myself doing it I know I'd laugh,but its an artform bahaha.

Would a 320i starter fit/work in me 323?

Chur

Haha yup thats what I been doing.

Kinda fun asking randoms for a push in the carpark though haha

320i -323i same starter

could also be your imobiliser, ive experienced both, screwed stater motor, replaced it then a few months later imobilizer packed up having the same symptoms as the starter motor failure, test by checking if starter motor is recieving power when the car not turning on by holding a test light or multimeter to the big red wire on the starter motor.

will be starter i have some $80 .

021433600 ah

Worn contact on Solonoid.

It does 2 jobs.

Engages the gear (to crank the motherf**ker)

and acts like a big SWITCH! that's where the contacts are.

Does it do it mostly while it is HOT?

but yes, whack it! That's good for things, except anything else in the engine bay. lol.

So..... get a new solanoid.

Get me one too cuz i am nice and pointed out the problem.

If you wanna test.

When it don't start.

get a test lite.

turn it over while holding test lite to the little wire going into the solanoid. if it lites up then its the solanoid contacts.

Or so Says me.

The lord said, behold the people, they piss me off, let us go down, stand amonst them, and whoop their stoopid arses.

Its toward the back of the bible im told.

Yup looks like I'm buying me a new starter.Woopdie.

Get in contact with Brent as soon as I get paid,stick will have to do for now haha.

Ohh heres anatha thing that someone pointed out...does rollstarting your car backwards feck anything up?I mean like parked normally on a upwards slope and put it in first and roll backwards and drop the clutch?Heard it roots G/box?

This right or naaay?

^^^ I didnt write that^^^

Somebody "winking" signed in as me, stupid remember me setting. But yes mine does the same thing when the car gets hot and we worked out it is the solonoid (if you just wait for the car to cool it works again lol), I on the other hand am not buying a new one but pulling the old one apart, more fun.

Anywho...

Haha yeh I figured out it is...but not always,hence the stick being my ultimate weapon.

Will probly get a new one when money comes a rollin,not a big problem i mean i can roll start it haha...sucks if i stalled though...not that I do <_<

blackbma

I personally would not select 1st gear when trying to roll start back wards. I would use reverse in fact i am not even sure if it will start if you select 1st.

as some one rightly pointed out it is the solidnoid.(SP) I had the same problem not only on the e30 but also a light aircraft. Nothing installs confidence in passangers of light aircraft as the pilot walking around with a big stick whacking the solidnoid. haha.

Not necessarily solenoid or contacts at all, -common in other starter configurations but not this type - this is the most common misdiagnosis of this complaint. could also be voltage drop to it in the energiser circuit OR worn brushes in the starter - the latter being the most likely of all.