Sign in to follow this  
Miller

Exhaust problem

Hi, i recently had a new system put on my 323i. It is a single pipe with two resonators and then a rps twin euro tip on the end. But where the headers join into one pipe it makes a ratling noise. The exhaust guy said it is the gasing flowing into the pipe makeing the sound. Anyone else had the same problem? How did you fix it?.

If people could draw diagrams or post pics of there exhausts where the headers join the system, would be great.

Im really keen to fix the problem.

Thanks

Also why is one of the pipes bigger than the other on the headers?

Haha, yea this system is much better. And i only had a remus rear muffler not a whole system. But does anyone know what the problem is? Thanks

Yep he is more than happy to fix it. He has tryed a couple of different options but cant seem to get rid of it. He just wanted to see how other people had done it. And if anyone else had the same problem.

The gas is flowing down the pipes and is making a slight resonating sound (buzzing) at about 3750 rpm. Which is the "secondary section" that should be a certain length? Can people draw diagrams or take some pictures of your car where the pipes join into one? That would be very helpful.

Thanks

you sure one of the reso's doesn't have a de laminated weld in it ?

It could also be a resonance passed down from the engine itself. Every engine has periods of resonance or vibration, and sometimes these will be amplified by the exhaust system. Its a longshot but I have seen it happen. Check that all mounts on the system are ok and that no part of the system is rubbing against the body of the car. However it is more likely to be in one of the mufflers and they should be checked. How loud is it? You could also take your car to someone else for a second opinion.

Sorry but what does that mean? lol

Basically a faulty mig weld between the baffle and exaust shell of one of the resonator(s). This is more common in a muffler than a resonator. At certain resonance it will rattle really quickly and make a buzzing / farting sound. This is one of many things it could be. As others have suggested,check the exaust mounts too. Also, if your not really geared up to look at it yourself and the shop is jerking you around .. get a second opinion.

design flaw if not faulty resonator, as said...

I've a similar problem on my GTi.. form the factory they sound like they've got a sizeable leak up front on the downpipe..

hell, mines so bad I've been thrown out for a WOF once because of it..

I will take my car into another exhaust shop for them to have a look over the next day or two. Any reccomendations of where to go? Also if anyone has any other ideas please say before i go in. Thanks