Sign in to follow this  
Jammasterjames

LowerFront Ball Joints

Yo, yo, wassup y'all...word to my peeps....

Yesterday I was told by the good people at Jerry C's that my LH lower front ball joint is incorrectly fitted, that is facing the wrong way...

It was replaced with an aftermarket part, not OEM. Its round, and doesn't have any locking tab on one side. Is this gonna be cool? Do I have to change to OEM?

What do all y'all use, the BMW ball joints?

i've changed mine 2 months ago. Got to get a pro to fit it as they do pop out if not careful.

I've got a brand new pair - OEM.

make me an offer :)

Of course you can fit ball joints incorrectly!

Ask Andrew about Gus's expertise with a Ball-Peen Hammer!

Gus no longer relies on his b/p hammer, he now has a torque wrench to bash things with..!!! :lol:

torque wrench doesnt seem to change torque settings not matter how hard i whack it....possible defect? please advise

Yo, yo, wassup y'all...word to my peeps....

Yesterday I was told by the good people at Jerry C's that my LH lower front ball joint is incorrectly fitted, that is facing the wrong way...

It was replaced with an aftermarket part, not OEM. Its round, and doesn't have any locking tab on one side. Is this gonna be cool? Do I have to change to OEM?

What do all y'all use, the BMW ball joints?

Any ball joint should be fine, but if its the one I think your talking about then it has to be fitted correctly. Basically its slotted, so you get more movement in a certain direction. Fit it the wrong way and your control arm can't move properly.

Edited by Mike

Any ball joint should be fine, but if its the one I think your talking about then it has to be fitted correctly. Basically its slotted, so you get more movement in a certain direction. Fit it the wrong way and your control arm can't move properly.

The guy at BMW said that it was around the wrong way by 180 degrees. The mechanic who did the job reckoned all ball joints he uses are the same on both sides, so it's impossible to get it 180 degrees in the wrong direction. Is this true?

So do I tell this mechanic that he's all whack? (don't really trust this ***** as far as I can throw him, nahmean) or is it my bad for going Ghetto stylez and not going to BMW in tha first place (that Playa didn't even tell me he was using an aftermarket part).

Here's a pic of the OEM part I'm talking about:

Posted Image

This is an aftermarket part I found on a Euro parts website:

Posted Image

post-1018-1165400195_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jammasterjames

i've changed mine 2 months ago. Got to get a pro to fit it as they do pop out if not careful.

I've got a brand new pair - OEM.

make me an offer :)

Cheers homie,

Money's a bit tight around the holiday period... could I get one of those for $50?

one or a pair?

You can have it for 80?

I'll throw in a pair of control arm bush/reaction bush - All OEM for $100

Never been fitted.

Edited by isis

The guy at BMW said that it was around the wrong way by 180 degrees. The mechanic who did the job reckoned all ball joints he uses are the same on both sides, so it's impossible to get it 180 degrees in the wrong direction. Is this true?

So do I tell this mechanic that he's all whack? (don't really trust this ***** as far as I can throw him, nahmean) or is it my bad for going Ghetto stylez and not going to BMW in tha first place (that Playa didn't even tell me he was using an aftermarket part).

Here's a pic of the OEM part I'm talking about:

That looks like the outer ball joint, from memory they don't even have to go in a certain way, its the inners that are slotted. I replaced the ball joints on my car with after market parts and haven't had any problems.

I've only worked on E30 suspension, I know the control arms are the same between e30/e36 but maybe the ball joints are different due to the subframe or strut. I don't understand how a ball joint can be out 180 degrees either? I'm out of ideas, sorry can't help ya anymore bro.

E 36 workshop manual gives a specific procedure for installing the OUTER control arm ball joint which indicates Claytons are correct.

Go OEM and get it done properly, they are only $60 bucks each from Claytons

Thanks Brotha, I will get them to re do it....

Gotta try and extract some compensation though from the 1st people.... its gonna be a mission, fo sho'