Sign in to follow this  
LemonHunter

E34 540 Windows Intermittent Fault

Good Evening,

I've found a bit of info scattered through this forum, but all for newer or older models. so here is my story.

The car is a 1994 E34 540iS.

The problemis a window gremlin.

It started in the rear left window, which stopped working when i brough it, then after a bit of fiddling it started working.

THen about a week later the left front window stopped working. about 2 weeks after that, it was working again, but the driver window wasn't... DOH!

Anyway, its been many months since then, the driver window still doesnt work, the left rear is fine, but every so often the front left stops working again, never for long though, about 1 minute of fiddling with the switch and its working again.

I have access to an E32 735 for spare parts.

Please advise where i should start looking/swapping parts to try sort the problem out, i miss having my hair blow in the wind :(

maybe relay?? have had issues with my e30 before and it just comes and goes.. not this bad though, in the e30 the relays are behind the glove box.

cheers

only other thing i can think of is faulty switch contacts , the wiring shouldnt be a problem but maybe loose/damaged but doubt it.

Edited by nz320i

Passengers window went in my E36 over the weekend too..

Guessing its a relay and not the switch as I hear a click under the dash whenever I try pressing the switch.

Check also your fusible link also, off the battery, as this can lead to intermittent electrical faults.

That was the problem when my windows played up.

Good Evening,

I've found a bit of info scattered through this forum, but all for newer or older models. so here is my story.

The car is a 1994 E34 540iS.

The problemis a window gremlin.

It started in the rear left window, which stopped working when i brough it, then after a bit of fiddling it started working.

THen about a week later the left front window stopped working. about 2 weeks after that, it was working again, but the driver window wasn't... DOH!

Anyway, its been many months since then, the driver window still doesnt work, the left rear is fine, but every so often the front left stops working again, never for long though, about 1 minute of fiddling with the switch and its working again.

I have access to an E32 735 for spare parts.

Please advise where i should start looking/swapping parts to try sort the problem out, i miss having my hair blow in the wind :(

It sounds like a switch problem if you can manipulate the switch & get them to work, particually if you aren't moving anything else at the same time. Drivers could well be something else if it wont go at all.

While operating the switch up or down -watch carefully the idiot lights on the dash & look for slight dimming as you operate the switch. If you see dimming then it is not the switch or wiring but is a fault in the motor/regulator assy.

Also confirm switches by substitution of going & not going units.

Wont be a relay or supply problem if some windows work -they are all on the same supply.

sometimes in the E34 windows working intermittently is caused by a crack in the "fusible link.

check this out

try the control module under the seat .

check or replace the obvious switches