Sign in to follow this  
allan

New to BMW's

Hello and happy new year to all. I'm totally new to this and a little at sea. so can some one help me out?Spent the last month doing the look through all the BMW's for sale in the Big Smoke etc (auckland i think it's called, no offence to any Aucklander!). and have short listed about five of them mainly by price and k's, checked out turners auctions for prices etc so that side of it is ok but in searching the net have found it to be all overseas stuff and most are the larger engined BMW's 545 bmws etc. The one's I've found are imports 2001,2002 520's facelift model, 2000 523's and maybe a 528,or even 530 of the same year. the doubt i have is in which one, the small 2.2ltr motor and get good mileage but run the risk of having to push it hard to make it go were the 523 has a bit extra, 300cc and maybe better the same for the 528 but lose on the other end on the fuel econ. Or is my thought process all wrong. Can some one please help me out because if you own a 5 series you will have first hand knowledge and that is what I'm after any help with this will be appreciated and a BMW will have found a new owner. The next step is the tit avating up will begin all good spare part sites will be welcome. Have heard that the audio in some of them is not good any suggections on replacement units and costs. Regards Allan

Hello and happy new year to all. I'm totally new to this and a little at sea. so can some one help me out?Spent the last month doing the look through all the BMW's for sale in the Big Smoke etc (auckland i think it's called, no offence to any Aucklander!). and have short listed about five of them mainly by price and k's, checked out turners auctions for prices etc so that side of it is ok but in searching the net have found it to be all overseas stuff and most are the larger engined BMW's 545 bmws etc. The one's I've found are imports 2001,2002 520's facelift model, 2000 523's and maybe a 528,or even 530 of the same year. the doubt i have is in which one, the small 2.2ltr motor and get good mileage but run the risk of having to push it hard to make it go were the 523 has a bit extra, 300cc and maybe better the same for the 528 but lose on the other end on the fuel econ. Or is my thought process all wrong. Can some one please help me out because if you own a 5 series you will have first hand knowledge and that is what I'm after any help with this will be appreciated and a BMW will have found a new owner. The next step is the tit avating up will begin all good spare part sites will be welcome. Have heard that the audio in some of them is not good any suggections on replacement units and costs. Regards Allan

The E39 is probably one of the best 5 series IMO. Get a good big engine as the car is not a lightweight and you will tend to push it going uphill. I suppose petrol seems to be one of your considerations but I drive a 328i (similar motor) and I get about 9l/100kms long-distance and about 13l/100kms in the city. Your city driving might be slightly higher because the 5 series is heavier. Having the larger motor makes all the difference when overtaking slow traffic. :)

Don't go for a 520, my dad used to have one and it was underpowered. it was alright uphills but it never really could just get up and go. he has changed to a 540 now and ofcourse seeing its a V8 it has all the power you could need, passing a breeze, getting away from traffic lights is amazing (we were sitting at the traffic lights along side a lowered, pimped out honda accord and as soon as the light turned green just drove away, not booting it or anything and when we looked in the rear veiw mirror, he was 50 metres back, its amazing the power of that 4.4 V8) and fuel economy on a long trip has come down to 11L/100km, but cruizing around town is about 13.5L/100km. Of course a 523 or a 528 will have more power than a 520, when he had it in being serviced at Jerry Clayton they gave him a 523 and there was a significant difference from the 520. and of course the 530 has been juged the best engine between 2.5 and 3 litre for 4 years running and very economical, so thats probably a safe bet aswel. he also had one of these when his car was being serviced, a 530 motorsport, it had power all through the rev range and it was quite economical. and of course it looked great in BMW's Black Sapphire metallic. Any more questions just ask, hope this helps, and welcome to Bimmersport

Edited by Nick021

yeah never go for a underpowred engine.. you might endup consuming more gas, as you will be needing to floor the pedal more to get the power.

for a 5 series i'd say go for atleast a 525 or higher..

im going to sell my 320i sometime this year or da next as im feeling the low power engine limitations:@ after driving around a 4L v8 bemmer LOL

Hi! allan replying thanks guys the info is taken on aboard, that shortens the list. Most of the vehicles I've checked out are in the 50,000k to 65,000k,around 6 to 7years old is their any thing that one needs to look for at this stage in it's life or just give it to the A A or the bmw agent to check it over. Any comments on the radios that are fitted to bmw's since they are imported vehicles. what about any service history or is that difficult to obtain? :rolleyes: regards Allan

Again welcome to the site. As already mentioned - E39's regarded as one of the best Beemers produced. Also as said - I wouldn't go for a 2.0 litre - big car for that engine to push. My jap 525 (badged 523 as NZ new variant but still 2.5L engine) I find is quite adequate on power delivery/ fuel economy -have had as low as 7l/100k (with a concerted effort for an exercise) but usual 8-9 with normal driving. Yes bigger engines always nice (540i car is brilliant) but economy certainly falls away overall. If I was replacing I might be tempted on a 530 but for no specfic reason but for slight power increase. Be aware also that the V8's are not generally regarded as being as sharp handling/ steering as the sixes due to the extra engine weight & the fact they use recirculating ball steering box rather than a rack as in the sixes.

Hope I don't add confusion!

hi thanks hotwire the v8 bit and the steering type is the sort of things i need to know about have my eye on a couple of 523's do you have any info on the 530 or know were i might get some.Allan

I have an e39 528 and I find it perfect for my lifestyle and driving. That doesn't mean it will suit you, of course.

I've driven the 520 and found it too underpowered.

I've driven the 540 and its a rocket, but feeding it isn't what I want to do, plus as already mentioned, the recirculating ball steerting is not as nice.

I've just had a bit of a trip and returned 8.9l/100km in holiday traffic. I usually get 11.5 ~ 12l/100km around town. FWIW, of my BMWs, I found the 318 to be the least economical, largely because I had to push a small engine to get the performance I wanted. I've found the 528 returns about the same as my 325.

The 523/5 develops the same HP as the 528, I think, but the 528 has more torque. If you enjoy getting off the mark slightly quicker, torque is where its at. Towing a trailer makes no real difference to the car.

IMO, the 528 is the medium model, engine-wise and is the best compromise between power and economy in the range. Yes, the 530 and the 540 are more powerful and I guess it all depends on what you want to do and how you drive. A test drive around town will not tell you much, 'cos all BMWs feel pretty much the same - its driving round corners and up hills which will tell you which model suits you best.

I've found the 5 series to be a much nicer cruising/all round car then the 3 series I've had.

Good luck in your search.

I'd look at the 528 as a minimum. They go pretty well. They aren't that heavy either.

Our 540 gets about 9-9.5l/100k on a road trip and returns 12.5-13.5 in round town driving.

I'd get your local BMW dealer to do their 180 point check (or whatever it is) and get their recommendation.

I'd go with the 540 as the driveability is awesome. They don't cost a lot more to maintain. Get a manual if possible.

Welcome too.

hi thanks hotwire the v8 bit and the steering type is the sort of things i need to know about have my eye on a couple of 523's do you have any info on the 530 or know were i might get some.Allan

Allan, Don't know of specfic info on the 530i or where to find one, I bought my 99 525 in myself from auction in Japan at 24k with a verified service history & service books to match the vehicle & milage. With imports a service history - particually with higher k vehicles is wise as the Japs are renowned for not servicing to schedules. Mine was one of the exceptions I guess.

Jap origin vehicles often higher specced too - nav, TV, leather, etc. Nav if fitted can be converted to suit NZ - I can help there, 2000 > cars -the radios can be reset to suit NZ frequency.

Probably just added to the confusion I guess - Goodluck!

Cainchapman 540i Manual? - They would be as hard to find as rocking horse _ _ _ _ wouldn't they?

Cheers

Grant

Hi! Cainchapman and Jazzbass info most helpful narrows the feild down. the fuel stats helped a lot as running it on 96 ( can anything other be used or is that dicey)and some idoit witha grenade in an oil refinery,bang goes the price of gas again.So it seem to be these three which are the favoured, 523, 528, 530. Thank guys will recheck the list and keep in touch. off to Auckland for a look see soon. the pic shown thats got to be painful in more ways than one Regards Allan hope every body had a good new year bash.

Edited by allan

Hi! hotwire, no not at all any help would not go begging thanks with electronic stuff in a BMW. When you say reset what do you mean as other imports I've had ie toyota's had the radio expanded and it was a pain in the butt as the frequncy on the panel didn't match the radio frequncy and it was a lottery as to what you listened to.Dumb question what does the nav system really do for you???. Allan

as running it on 96 ( can anything other be used or is that dicey)

I put 96 in my 540, thats all it needs. Of course 98 would make it run a little better and smoother but its a V8 so its not needed as much as in a 528 or smaller.

Hi! hotwire, no not at all any help would not go begging thanks with electronic stuff in a BMW. When you say reset what do you mean as other imports I've had ie toyota's had the radio expanded and it was a pain in the butt as the frequncy on the panel didn't match the radio frequncy and it was a lottery as to what you listened to.Dumb question what does the nav system really do for you???. Allan

Reset of radio to NZ frequency is just a matter of getting into set menu & altering from jap to euro or similar (cant remember off hand which) 2000 on were fitted with a worldwide tuner - pre were jap specific so either required a band expander or tuner replacement - plug & play

Band expanders in these cars are CRAP - reception is hopeless - mine was until a euro tuner was fitted.

Satillite Navigation is brilliant once working - covers complete country - throw away your maps!

Similar to Navman but better as it totally integrates with vehicle electrics eg voice instruction thru sound system etc & bigger screen.

Re Fuel 98 is best but they will run on all - engine management compensates for lower octane fuel as required, lower fuel grade is less efficient though so probably evens out in cost. Usually 96 for us

Cheers

Grant

PS Toyota? - thats a swear word here!

Allan, I've got a NZ New '98 528 SE, and I find it to be the best car I've ever owned. Probably the only thing I'm yearning for is the Nav/TV setup that it doesn't have.

The perfect E39 for me will be a 528/530 with Nav/TV (widescreen will be better), leather, electrics (523 usually doesn't have electric seats) and motorsport trimmings.

In fact at the moment I looking to replace it but can't find one that can surpass the E39 without forking out somewhere north of $80k.

As for NZ New/Jap-Sing import choice my personal preference always be the NZ New due to the certainty of previous servicing it'd have had.

opps!! sorry don't want to offend anybody hotwire. Thanks everyone for the info the petrol octane/ engine mangement system take care of, are they that smart, not doubting you. What cost would one be looking at to have the tuner change over if required and what do you meam by plug and play? Sorry to keep on but this mind is buzzing for all the knowledge you can give.

I wouldn't go with a 520, you'll be dissapointed with the "Ultimate driving machine" experience you get from it.

My parents own a 523i and they are stoked with it. It (5 series in general) was named "Best luxury car" and the 530 has "Best 6 cylinder engine in the world" if i remember rightly.

523i is a 525i 2.5 litre engine with about 10hp less. 528i has more HP.. Naturally :P

530 you can really not go wrong with, If possible I suggest a NZ New one , and definitely get BMW (AA's not really specific enough) to check it, The best $70 you'll spend. Better to be safe than sorry.

My pick would be the 528 or 530.

Good Luck

Em

Edited by BMW POWER

the 530 is the updated 528,if you can afford a 530 get one over the 528.Just to throw another one in consider a 530D,yep a deisel.....I saw one for sale the other day,complete motorsport kit,and with all that tourque would be a nice car...you would be looking at 30 k tho.....NZ cars are ussually very well specced.A 525 would be the go if round twon was the norm.Spend the time a get a nice highly specced one,they dont cost much more than a "normal one"

Edited by kiwi535

Possibly the best piece of advice I could give (that hasnt already been said) is for you to just go out and drive as many of them as you can.

Dont let the salesman fob you off with ten mins. Tell them you want it for a day or even over night.

Drive all your usual routes to and from how to work etc and take it everywhere you would normally go. You will not only find out which engine does it for you, but you will see several different interior specs and which toys are available on which cars.

Take your time....there are e39's for sale everywhere you look and they have dropped in price dramtically over the last couple of months. Dont under any circumstances choose one that doesnt tick all your boxes, wait for the next one, you wont regret it.

530 is definately the best IMO, and as Paul said dont discount the diesels....the torque they have is phenominal.

Edited by martyyn

Hi! Martyyn thank you for the advice very welcome 30k is a little beyond my budget but the diesel idea has not gone un noticed. As for the price's even i have noticed in the short time looking that they have moved down in certain areas, is it the time of year or a sign of the times who knows!. Auckland has a few hills and plenty of slow traffic to test out the engine sizes a?.Can you tell me what IMO stands for, still getting used to the jargen being used.As for ticking the boxes you are right their. shelling out that amount of $$$$ i will want all the bells and whistles make no doubt on that score. Have got a couple that have filled the boxes, it only remains for a test drive and a check out. regards allan

opps!! sorry don't want to offend anybody hotwire. Thanks everyone for the info the petrol octane/ engine mangement system take care of, are they that smart, not doubting you. What cost would one be looking at to have the tuner change over if required and what do you meam by plug and play? Sorry to keep on but this mind is buzzing for all the knowledge you can give.

Allan, No offense, only stirring, regards Martyyn "IMO" = in my opinion.

Regards to tuner replacement - only required if pre 2000 & jap obviously. The radio tuner in these cars is mounted in the boot on L/H side of the back seat. Cost? Mine was a S/H unit out of Europe & purchased on Ebay, cost varies as to demand but typically around the $250 -300 mark, may even be lucky enough to find one in the wreckers here from a NZ new car if & when you require.

Plug & play = simply remove jap unit & plug in Euro version. Can point you in the right direction if you find you need a replacement.

Cheers

Grant

thanks BMW power, EM for the advice any one stand out in the bmw dealers in Auckland or all a much of a much ness and is that $70 a firm price or about as I've heard some charge like wounded bulls. AA charged a mate of mine $135 for an inspection (non member) in Palmy Nth.Hi Grant (hotwire) thanks for the radio info may come back to you on that if it goes west. Don't mind the stirring keeps people honest and life can be to short need to have fun and plenty of good humour, cheers allan

Edited by allan

Allan, re the radio: on this board is an expert in BMW radios and nav system etc. That's Jochen.

I'm in Palmy and bought mine from Jeff Gray. IMO they are an excellent dealership. I chose NZ-new with a full BMW service history and accordingly I paid more for the privilege. If cost is an issue, I'd suggest not going through a BMW dealer. This is likely to mean it will be Jap import, but most of these are still fine cars (I've had two). General advice on this board seems to be to avoid Singaporean imports, as the ambient conditions there are nasty on rubber and electroncs componentry.

Advantages of a dealership buy is that they do stand by their sales. I had a couple of problems within the first three months and they took care of them all free of charge, including a callout to a dead E39 which needed a new battery (free). With a normal dealer I've had instances where that has certainly not been the case.

thanks BMW power, EM for the advice any one stand out in the bmw dealers in Auckland or all a much of a much ness and is that $70 a firm price or about as I've heard some charge like wounded bulls. AA charged a mate of mine $135 for an inspection (non member) in Palmy Nth.Hi Grant (hotwire) thanks for the radio info may come back to you on that if it goes west. Don't mind the stirring keeps people honest and life can be to short need to have fun and plenty of good humour, cheers allan

Its an approximate price. I could call the BMW dealership for you tommorow since I am getting a quote for actual inspection price or you could do it yourself.

Team MacMillan BMW is a pretty A1 dealership so I've heard but I'd PM a couple of the Auckland groupies (I reccomend Andy, e30stz on here) and he'll tell you.. Or any Aucklander for that matter.

I seriously would not bother with an AA inspection. They really aren't specific enough. BMW does a 100 point check and they will check it out thouroughly, thats the difference. An AA Inspection vs BMW Inspection is like taking your E39 to a Mercedes-Benz dealership and telling them "Check this". Of course they'd get the basics and everything but BMW will have the fine-tuned and factory updated equipment and diagnostics specific for your BMW to ensure it has no faults anywhere, not just general car faults. (Whcih AA will do)

And i agree with Rog (JazzBass) regarding Jochen. Hes an absolute genius when it comes to BMW radios, I'll find some of Jochens work and post it up.

Em.