Sign in to follow this  
allan

New to BMW's

just ring the closest BMW dealer and ask for the price for a 90 minute check....its a std price i think.Mine was very thorough,and even gave me a list of parts and prices for them.They told me in their opinion it was a POS and told me to offer the guy 6000 not the 16000 plus he was aking!(that was for a 535is english import a few yrs ago!)

Hi! Cainchapman, that has blown me away,you don't even know me and you offer me a spin in your beamer that is unreal thank you very much for the offer here is my e-mail address so you can leave some contact details, a little more private if you wish to (a.hughes@slingshot.co.nz). 90 min check at Team MacMillan ok thanks might sound like I know what I'm talking about. AA point taken on board. will keep you honest on Jochens handy work with the radios EM and Rog come back to me with some of the mans work. Thanks Allan

Hi! Cainchapman, that has blown me away,you don't even know me and you offer me a spin in your beamer that is unreal thank you very much for the offer here is my e-mail address so you can leave some contact details, a little more private if you wish to (a.hughes@slingshot.co.nz). 90 min check at Team MacMillan ok thanks might sound like I know what I'm talking about. AA point taken on board. will keep you honest on Jochens handy work with the radios EM and Rog come back to me with some of the mans work. Thanks Allan

And Avoid singapore imports , not a good choice

Woah!! take a bow man, that has to be worth a few beers! that must have saved those people heaps. can they drive themselves yet that nav set up is, whats the word for it. technology is making it easy these days as long as you learn how to use it. To Cain Chapman thanks again have the details and will be in Auckland 3rd to 5th not driving flying in. maybe driving home will see on that one.Make contact and see if we can arrange something don't want to put you out, as we are all busy people.Thanks to all for the info has been an eye opener I can tell you all. Regards Allan

No worries Allan. I meant to be working from tomorrow and the 540 will be in my possession until the 5th at least. I won't be cleaning it though!

Milan, where have you been? Long time, no hear.

Edited by cainchapman

Allan, re the radio: on this board is an expert in BMW radios and nav system etc. That's Jochen.

I'm in Palmy and bought mine from Jeff Gray. IMO they are an excellent dealership. I chose NZ-new with a full BMW service history and accordingly I paid more for the privilege. If cost is an issue, I'd suggest not going through a BMW dealer. This is likely to mean it will be Jap import, but most of these are still fine cars (I've had two). General advice on this board seems to be to avoid Singaporean imports, as the ambient conditions there are nasty on rubber and electroncs componentry.

Advantages of a dealership buy is that they do stand by their sales. I had a couple of problems within the first three months and they took care of them all free of charge, including a callout to a dead E39 which needed a new battery (free). With a normal dealer I've had instances where that has certainly not been the case.

Yea agreed Jochens the man! - he is who I would have pointed you to if you needed help re radio tuners or resetting them. He was the one to sort me out -is a bundle of knowledge on them.

It was him & I also to sus the jap nav conversion in my car -probably the first car in the country to have been sucessfully converted I would imagine. - a heap of research done (mostly his part) & big a punt on mine that our theory would work. Certainly would not have happened without his input & vast knowledge.

Allan, re the radio: on this board is an expert in BMW radios and nav system etc. That's Jochen.

I'm in Palmy and bought mine from Jeff Gray. IMO they are an excellent dealership. I chose NZ-new with a full BMW service history and accordingly I paid more for the privilege. If cost is an issue, I'd suggest not going through a BMW dealer. This is likely to mean it will be Jap import, but most of these are still fine cars (I've had two). General advice on this board seems to be to avoid Singaporean imports, as the ambient conditions there are nasty on rubber and electroncs componentry.

Advantages of a dealership buy is that they do stand by their sales. I had a couple of problems within the first three months and they took care of them all free of charge, including a callout to a dead E39 which needed a new battery (free). With a normal dealer I've had instances where that has certainly not been the case.

Yea agreed Jochens the man! - he is who I would have pointed you to if you needed help re radio tuners or resetting them. He was the one to sort me out -is a bundle of knowledge on them.

It was him & I also to sus the jap nav conversion in my car -probably the first car in the country to have been sucessfully converted I would imagine. - a heap of research done (mostly his part) & big a punt on mine that our theory would work. Certainly would not have happened without his input & vast knowledge.

Yea, looks great, now nobody will even think about stealing your car if your details are programmed into the electronics. Is it simple to do that or is it complicated?

Yea, looks great, now nobody will even think about stealing your car if your details are programmed into the electronics. Is it simple to do that or is it complicated?

Well... it's like anything - simple if you know how, complicated if you have no idea.

If you are savvy with PCs, understand hex editors, and are comfortable with software uploads, then it's simple :-)

Now that I know how I can change it in 5 min to anything I want...

save time, get a honda.

Guest Spargo

save time, get a honda.

Dude, thats like saying "save time, have your 80th birthday now"

Dude, thats like saying "save time, have your 80th birthday now"

Roffles ! Best comeback line this year!! :)

Its true though - just ask top gear!!

Hi! to Jochen got you leads and it looks good , how long did it take to set up the programmes etc like the man said easy if you know how complicated if you don't.

I got told off for using a toy word. So sic to me that crack of your's is even worse" Honda".

Spargo nice one about the 80th birthday.

Thank you to Cain Chapman for the spin in his 540 rocket ship got to drive it for awhile and yes was impressed with its performance. Cain then drove it and showed me what it could do.Cain could you come back to me on that driver training programme and details thanks.

Have a little puzzle for you all to have a go at will post some pic's, soon when the digital returns of a BMW and see how good you are at guessing what it is, no price for the winner except bragging rights. Cheers Allan

No problem Allan. I hope you enjoyed your time up here in Auckland. Just a shame we didn't have to to stop for a coffee at Maraitai.

http://www.bmwclub.org.nz/index.php?catego...mp;p18_start=10

March 10th at Taupo.

RXSumo, Kiwi_535 and Carl are all on the BMWCC Committee down there and will be of assistance to you. They may well organise a day at Manfield. The Intermarque sprints are also good to attend.

yes! that is part of the puzzle wait and see just a bit of fun and a way of saying thank's for all the advice you guys gave me. also connections should trouble rear its ugle head. Oh Cain Brett was on hoilday when i called in at team Mac and thanks for the web and names to contact Regards Allan

OK guys heres the puzzle!

Puzzle Number 1

Posted Image

Puzzle Number 2

Posted Image

Anyone know what it is? Can ya guess.

Edited by allan

hi Jazzbass and Cain yes it is a E39 you got the year correct and it's first reg date,prod date according to the print out i have say's 2001-06-27, the colour is Orientblau Metallic (317) what ever that means. It's a nice dark metallic blue and I like it. Will relent and put it on My Ride section, I believe that is the correct place for it. Need to get the digital back off my daughter so might be a day or two before i can get the pic's up. Cheers guys

save time, get a honda.

Oh how original. That originality has been amazing me for the past 2 years

Damien.