Sign in to follow this  
WarNox

front door hinge

hey everyone, happy new year!

just as i got back from my trip the stupid passenger door decided to stuff up. if i open it a little bit its fine, but as soon as it goes past the first bump, that keeps it open it clicks, same with the second bump and same when closing it. in the picture you can see the bit that is stuffed up, its moved all the way to the left while its ment to be held firmly in the middle. anyone got any idea how to remove this? i've looked around but cannot find anything.

thanks for your help

post-658-1167769888_thumb.jpg

i have hinges etc .

hey everyone, happy new year!

just as i got back from my trip the stupid passenger door decided to stuff up. if i open it a little bit its fine, but as soon as it goes past the first bump, that keeps it open it clicks, same with the second bump and same when closing it. in the picture you can see the bit that is stuffed up, its moved all the way to the left while its ment to be held firmly in the middle. anyone got any idea how to remove this? i've looked around but cannot find anything.

thanks for your help

post-658-1167769888_thumb.jpg

I think you are talking about the bit I have circled in the photo attached?? I have disconnected the restraint from it for clarity.

If it is this bit, there is no easy way to fix it if it has come loose as it is spot welded inside the door post before the outer skins are attached. It is normally caused by either rust or a lack of lubrication on the restraining mechanism which then puts quite a force on the bracket.

If it is the restraint itself, it is removable from the door by taking out 2 10mm bolts.

Will

thanks for your reply will. yeah it is the bit you have circled. but if it is welded inside, and the weld has come loose wouldn't it have fully snapped. like this its semi-stable still. is there any way to get access inside there? do i have to take the door off?

It is welded in several places inside the door post. I had a brief look on one of my donor cars yesterday. I have had it in a couple of cars in the past but they have all been donors so I have never attepted to fix it before as i just dumped the bodies.

I will attempt to figure something out today and come back to you but I am certain you will have to cut open a section of panel to get to the area where it is welded in.

It will probably involve removing the door and fender, neither of which are too difficult to remove, and cutting in from the outside, not from the inside (I think..!), but still a biggish job overall..

I need to find this out as my driver's door retainer on my 'vert is just starting to work loose (caused by a siezed up restrainer) so I might as well figure out how to repair it sometime .. :huh:

Will

just great, such a big job for something so small. rather annoying.

ok if you figure out how to do it let me know, otherwise i'll just remove the door this weekend and see whats under there.

thanks for your help man.

I was out doing the tourist thing today so only got onto this just now when I returned.

There may be a simpler way to repair it, other than cutting open the skins, but depending on where it has come loose (or broken).

What I suggest you do is to remove your speaker and undo the door wiring, get it out of the way, and then,using a mirror, look up the cavity through the speaker hole. I did this earlier and found that the bracket is held at the very front of the cavity between two panels and is spot-welded to the OUTER skin of the door post further back toward the rear of the car. Difficult to describe it and impossible to take a pic of it hence the suggestion you have a look up there for yourself.

I think it may be possible, with careful measuring, to use a self-tapping screw or two, drilled through the outer panel and into the bracket to fasten it back to the skin. That is if it is broken off here of course... If it is broken where it is sandwiched between the two skins, I think you will have to cut loose a part of the outer skin to re-attach it to the body.

I didn't look up my 'vert one, just used one of my donor cars which is still intact so difficult to say what may be broken.

So have a look up there...

Will

thanks for that info man, i will have a look this weekend. have to replace my dashboard anyway so that might make it easier.

i dont know how else to say thanks, but thanks heaps!!!

ok so i finally got to see the damage. ill attach a picture, this is with the dashboard removed. so before i put the new one in ill have to get this fixed. from what i can see i should just get it welded from the outside, the part you can see in the picture. i don't see any other way of getting it done.

do you think if i go to any given panel beater they will be able to just weld it and it won't break again very soon? im thinking about going somewhere tomorrow morning, it should be an interesting drive.

---

edit: its not letting me upload pictures for some reason, but ill try again later.

Edited by WarNox

Difficult to see what is happening there. No guarantees it won't break again but whoever does it will have to suss out how to reinforce it so it doesn't. Also make sure the door restraining system is moving freely and well lubricated so you don't put too much stress on the repair.

Will be interesting trying to weld it up with all that wiring etc around, especially with gas.. mig or tig would be better, less inclined to set everything alight. Have to be careful!

Will

Edited by will