Sign in to follow this  
Alch

Sunroof gutter rust

Have a E30 320i 1988 that the rear sunroof gutter corners where the pipes attached has rusted apart big time. Suspect someone had it parked uphill for a long time with blocked drainage pipes and now the pipes arent even attached due to rusting right through the corner. Which has meant a big dry out after a down pour.

Any recommendations for places in Welly to try? probably needs the whole gutter corner to be fabricated around the pipe. Wanna check out options (maybe fibreglass or silicon mold).

Failing this due to possibly being too costly im going to go to an auto glass shop and have them seal the sunroof for good. :(

Will get pics if it helps.

Thoughts and pointers appreciated.

i suspect that this is what has happened to my car also, can you post up pics, i am not sure how to get access to assess the damage. I will be troubles shooting my leaks this weekend!

Add me to the club. Next mission Ive got to tackle.

Ollie, not sure exactly on 4 doors but on my 2 door I pull out the rear windows and then just pull the head liner down. My hoses are rusted away as well. I haven't had an extremely good look but hopefully there should be enough left either for me to nu-tech it or I may have to fabricate and weld in some new pieces. Its also visible (just) if you pull the sunroof panel out.

Edited by Mike

On the 4 door, open the back door and pull down the door seal from the back top corner which will reveal the edge of the headliner. Pull the headliner back -will be glued down but if old it will come away easy. Also might find you have to remove the handle grab.

I did this and to my horor:

post-1623-1168377169_thumb.jpg

Going to have to cut the rust out no matter what. Just hoping i can find someone that can repair this and not cut a whole leg off to pay for it.

Its almost as bad on the left side. With this it meant that the water ran down the liner of the pillar (had to remove the insulation which was toast) and down the side of the seat to pool on the rear foot well.

For rust work on my sunroof I used Mike at The Surgery, Wall Street off Kenepuru Drive. Great work and great advice. If your sunroof has been leaking I would also suggest checking the carpet isnt wet, and pulling up to check on any rust patches there.

Cheers ill give the surgery a holler and see what they think. Yeah took the carpets and seats out and dried them thoroughly, always sound advice for any water leak. Thankfully found no signs of rust hidden away. Its all the nasty stuff i know about that is going to hurt the pocket.