Sign in to follow this  
jrgb

INCAR CAMERA SYSTEM

G'day All,

I race an Almac Sabre S2 in Targa and circuit events, and have always wanted to install an incar camera to capture all the action. However I didn't want to simply mount a conventional handycam in the car because they tend to get in the way. What I wanted was the small remote cameras that I had seen used overseas ... but they are bloody expensive (approx US$1000 for the remote lens and wiring).

After looking at all of these expensive overseas options available via the internet, we came across the locally manufactured NZ Helmet Camz system. As the name suggests, this product was originally designed to mount directly to the helmets of mountain bikers, motorcross riders, and snowboarders, but they also offer a 'Motor Sport Package'. This includes their own very compact 1/3" bullet camera lens with separate microphone; protective machined nylon housing; wired remote control with power on/off and recording start/stop. The small remote camera lens can be mounted anywhere in the racecar, and plugs into the A/V slot of your camcorder (which can be housed well out of the way). The wired remote plugs into the camcorder's LANC slot.

The entire system, including our Sony Handycam (DCR-HC96E), is powered via a 12 volt feed from the racecar, so there is no need to continually change camera batteries. A switch on the dash turns the whole system on & off, and the wired remote control mounted by the gearstick starts & stops recording ... simple! We've now used it at a couple of race meetings, and the results are brilliant.

Check out my website to see pics of the installation of the camera.

Check out my website to view some of the incar videos that we have recorded.

Hope this is of interest to those of you who spend time on the track.

Cheers, John

Edited by John B

Cool footage - you take really different lines to me round there - i was timing race one (icebreaker) at around 1:11ish laps from the vids - pretty good!

Are you doing the tasman revival?

Cool footage - you take really different lines to me round there - i was timing race one (icebreaker) at around 1:11ish laps from the vids - pretty good!

Are you doing the tasman revival?

No, unfortunately I'll be overseas so no Tasman GP Revival meeting. Will do the Auck Car Club meeting at Puke on 25 Feb.

Yes, you were right! The two GTR V8s are being built by Andy Culpin at Race RX.

Cheers, John

Looks good, and a budgetary price?

around $600 from thier website.. decent.

around $600 from thier website.. decent.

You're right Andrew. The system shown on my website cost me $600 + the Sony Handycam + camera case.

Cheers, John

wern't helmet cams one of the guys who went on dragons den??!

No sure ... didn't see the show! But they seem to have a good little business. Check out their website.

I couldnt see the screen move a mm on the video with the off at the track. Is it extreamly stirdy on the mount?

Would you sugest it would be a sutable set up for rough gravel/rally events?

Thanks!

I've done that exact same spin on the same bit of the track - it is just stupid - there is no grip in the wet

I couldnt see the screen move a mm on the video with the off at the track. Is it extreamly stirdy on the mount?

Would you sugest it would be a sutable set up for rough gravel/rally events?

Thanks!

Definitely suitable for rough gravel / rally events. Because the pencil lens is so small & light, it does not vibrate / bounce around like a full-sized handycam.

John