Sign in to follow this  
sideways

Help!! car wont start!!

Hey guys,

im josh ive been a member a while but this is my first post on here in a while!,

im having a problem with my car, i have a 318i 93 bmw 4 door sedan, and the car keeps dying and i have to jump start it every time to get it started again only to die 5 minutes later, it all started tonight when the stero kept turning on and off and then 5 minutes later my car starting cutting out etc, there is the red battery light on my dash which usualy turns of when the car starts, and also there is a yellow exclamation mark appeared on my dash, i think it may have something to do with the battery or something shorting the electrical system? whenever i turn on my lights or slow down to less than 20ks the car cuts out or putters right down to when it eventually cuts out, im thinking maybe the battery is stuffed? could anyone suggust any ideas of whats wrong, or if anyone could tell me what those lights on my dash mean,

much apprecicated!!

thanks!!

battery or alternator, try changing the battery for a good one first then come back to us if you still got the prob.

battery or alternator, try changing the battery for a good one first then come back to us if you still got the prob.

ok ive replaced the battery and now the car starts and drives sweet, the yellow exclamation mark on my dash board has gone but there is still a red battery light on my dash, it disapears once i go above 50ks anything under it pops up on my dash, could this be the alternator? any suggustions? much appreciated,

josh

Its your alternator dude. Get it seen to, or your engine may stop on you on the harbour bridge like mine did!

Its your alternator dude. Get it seen to, or your engine may stop on you on the harbour bridge like mine did!

ah dam was hopeing it wouldnt be, would you have any idea on how much a new one is? 93 318i , im about to sell the car so really didnt want to spend more money on it

Its a cheap fix if you can do alternators yourself- probably under 100 for parts, or you can get it done with new bearings etc as well and a clean for under 400

Do yourself a favor! go and buy a cheap multimeter from Dick Smith [approx $30]

Measure the voltage at the battery posts [approx 12.5 volts] then measure again with motor running at idle [it should be 13.5 volts] This will tell if the alternater is charging

If the battery goes flat over night, switch the meter to Amps, disconnect the Earth wire, then bridge over with the meter [remember to pull the fuses on anything with a memory,clock,stereo etc] it should be drawing zero current [if not, then disconnect the wire on the alternater] then if the meter reads zero the alternater has sh*t the regulator!

You get to keep the multimeter afterwards [useful for stereo installs etc]

ok ive replaced the battery and now the car starts and drives sweet, the yellow exclamation mark on my dash board has gone but there is still a red battery light on my dash, it disapears once i go above 50ks anything under it pops up on my dash, could this be the alternator? any suggustions? much appreciated,

josh

If the charge light (battery light) comes on & stays on then it is the alt or possibly associated wiring -NOT the battery, best get it seen to by an auto sparky if you are not familiar with the system otherwise you will be chasing your tail with it

If the charge light (battery light) comes on & stays on then it is the alt or possibly associated wiring -NOT the battery, best get it seen to by an auto sparky if you are not familiar with the system otherwise you will be chasing your tail with it

It can also be a diode in the ALT [it'll still charge], or a short between the ALT light and the Exciter wire on the ALT [get a multimeter, they are cheap!]