Sign in to follow this  
will

SD card

I have a 4GB SD card, the problem is my camera will only recognise 2GB and wants to format the card into a 2GB partition with the balance unallocated so becomes unusable.

Have cruised the web looking for answers but seems to be differing thoughts/methods out there. I have tried using XP to delete the full 4GB partition and created 2 smaller partitions (one suggestion found on the web) but the "delete partition" under XP is greyed out for the card, but available for any other drive..!?? Don't know why.

Anyone have experience in this? Particularly with getting my camera to recognise the card without trying to trash half of its capacity. What should I use to partition it, (as XP doesn't work) pref a free program..:)

Will

Guest Ken

I have a 4GB SD card, the problem is my camera will only recognise 2GB and wants to format the card into a 2GB partition with the balance unallocated so becomes unusable.

Have cruised the web looking for answers but seems to be differing thoughts/methods out there. I have tried using XP to delete the full 4GB partition and created 2 smaller partitions (one suggestion found on the web) but the "delete partition" under XP is greyed out for the card, but available for any other drive..!?? Don't know why.

Anyone have experience in this? Particularly with getting my camera to recognise the card without trying to trash half of its capacity. What should I use to partition it, (as XP doesn't work) pref a free program..:)

Will

It may be formatted to FAT32 instead of NTFS - which you need to recognise partitions of >= 4GB. Also, are you using the disk manager to do the job?

Will, I have a copy of partition magic somewhere at home you can have.

It may be formatted to FAT32 instead of NTFS - which you need to recognise partitions of >= 4GB. Also, are you using the disk manager to do the job?

I have formatted the disk to FAT32, actual size 3.69GB. I used a program from Panasonic specific for SD cards to do this, but it does not have any ability to partition it. The disk management option under administrative tools in XP doesn't make the delete partition option available for some reason..

The camera requires the card to be formatted to FAT32.

Will, I have a copy of partition magic somewhere at home you can have.

Cheers Graham, is it an XP based copy? I have a copy but it is Win2000 based and I don't want to risk loading it on XP... too many bad experiences with Microsoft incompatability issues I suppose.. <_<

If this fails, the easy option is to buy a 2GB card, but I hate easy, much more fun figuring things out the hard way... B)

Also thought all you techno-geek youngsters out there would have had this figured a long time ago..??? What's happening..???!!!!! This type of stuff is hard work for us old fellas! :huh:

Will

Guest Ken

I have formatted the disk to FAT32, actual size 3.69GB. I used a program from Panasonic specific for SD cards to do this, but it does not have any ability to partition it. The disk management option under administrative tools in XP doesn't make the delete partition option available for some reason..

The camera requires the card to be formatted to FAT32.

Cheers Graham, is it an XP based copy? I have a copy but it is Win2000 based and I don't want to risk loading it on XP... too many bad experiences with Microsoft incompatability issues I suppose.. <_<

If this fails, the easy option is to buy a 2GB card, but I hate easy, much more fun figuring things out the hard way... B)

Also thought all you techno-geek youngsters out there would have had this figured a long time ago..??? What's happening..???!!!!! This type of stuff is hard work for us old fellas! :huh:

Will

Will - Partitioning an SD card doesn't make sense - does the Panasonic camera allow for/advise this? Also, the card may well have one or more corrupted areas. If you can spare it for a day or 2 send it down to me; I'm only to happy to probe its orifaces!!!

I used it to partition an XP machine to dual boot to Linux, but not sure if its actually an XP-designed version. Talk to you about it in the weekend.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

What's the model of your camera? Your 4GB card is probably (actually very likely) to be a new SDHC standard. but Not all camera support SDHC.

It's partly correct to much of the posts here. Many camera only support FAT16 (or FAT) which has a limit of 2GB, partitioning won't help because most (if not all) digital camera will not recognise multiple partitions on a SD card. Even if this can be done on a computer.