Sign in to follow this  
dickhead

e36 manual diff

does anyone else have problems with their e36 manual diffs? my 320i has spat 2 in the past year (not to mention a driveshaft) and at around 1000$ each doesnt make me too happy! is it worth looking into a stronger LSD and where is a good place i can get one before my next one blows!? :unsure: cheers! steve

does anyone else have problems with their e36 manual diffs? my 320i has spat 2 in the past year (not to mention a driveshaft) and at around 1000$ each doesnt make me too happy! is it worth looking into a stronger LSD and where is a good place i can get one before my next one blows!? :unsure: cheers! steve

What the f**k are you doing to it. 7000rpm 3rd or 4th gear rollbacks or somthing.

What motor you got and what sorta power? Have you had oil in the diffs at the time???

Edited by TronSpec

nah just a few standys here and there a few donuts and alot of drifting. my 2nd diff was in my car bout 4 months before it went bang, taking the driveshaft with it <_< . im no mechanic, but the mechanic that fitted it seemed pretty good (autotech in chch) and im assuming that bmw diffs just cant handle sh*t? its just a 2.0 vanos with exhaust chip and pody nothin special

The only diff that can handle a Donut is a straight 100% locker [spool or detroit]

Because you are going in circles the inside wheel always wants too spin [the heat & loads generated will explode the spider gears]

A LSD can be worse [during donuts]because of the friction generated in the clutch packs [even the trusty 'bulletproof' 9 inch ford will explode]

Just Keep replacing them until you decide to change your driving style

As Kerry says, the problem with donuts is they really stuff the clutches in a lsd. I have toasted many clutches in my lsd's over the years, but all that happens is you end up not being able to do proper donuts.. never had a diff completely blow like you seem to be describing.

Had an e28 M5 (far more grunt than your 320) and did many clutches but diff/drivetrain survived it all.

Also had a few centre prop bearing carriers let go and a few rubber propshaft couplers (rubber dounut) explode but stopped the silly stuff when this happened so damage was limited to replacement of the mounting bit. If you carry on with these items damaged, your propshaft will fling around wildly and can do severe damage..

Replacing the lsd clutches is not difficult, just finding a supplier is the problem as the Stealer doesn't appear to supply clutches as service items.

will

cheers for all your advice. not really what i hoped to hear but never mind. if anyone hears of an e36 diff from a manual for sale please let me know!

i have one from 318ti 3.64 ratio , you will need to swap gears into your case , or swap rear cover etc .

ti has same ass end as e30 .

021433600ah