Sign in to follow this  
Nobimmer

BIG police bust,Mcdonalds Quay street

Woo,wicked start to the weekend,Friday night just as the mcdonalds in town starts to get packed,a f**Kload of cops come and block off all entrances to do some intense checking of cars.Went round EVERY single car there,jacked it up check for spring captiveness etc etc.We waited about 2 and a half hours to be checked,trying to avoid it if possible,but in the end went home with a green sticker for having car sitting on bumpstops and having no suspension travel...was all captive etc just too low <_< ,200 dollar fine and had to drive home at no more than 50kmh,which was really fun bahaha.

sh*t load of old school cars got pinkied for no certs,6-7 cars got towed,looked to be a few angry people.Meh should have a legal car!

On the way back,see that the road next to the gas station by the water front has all been closed and all the Chosen few dudes were being checked.

Anyone else in town last night?Only bimmers I saw were a few pimp ones,L0WVIP etc etc.

Haha funny sh*t. Good old pinky.

I had to carry my 17 year old best mate half way around Dunedin last night. She was so hammered she could hardly stand up. Got home at 3am..

It's green stickered,not as bad...had they heard us pulling out with the locker,it'd have been a different story.

yup, i got green stickered and fined for having fog lights on... after having driving like that for atleast a year now...

looks like we might need a where to get a cert thread if anyone else got done lolz..

Edited by dave8501

Are you not allowed to drive with foglights on at all?Or were only your fogs on?

not allowed to drive with fog lights on unless its foggy.....

pissed me off cos they shouldn't really fine for that.... its just being picky,

Are you not allowed to drive with foglights on at all?Or were only your fogs on?

Try following a car with euro fog taillights [60w high-beam in red] if they are not banned,they should be!

As for your green sticker on your car, You deserved all you got!

Driving your car on the bump stops with no suspension?

There has been enough advice on this forum about how to lower your car the proper way. You chose to do it the F**kwit way

If you can't tell the difference in handling of a solid car to a sprung car you shouldn't be driving at all

Miller had a full set of H & R springs [60mm front & 35mm rear] for only $280 on this forum

It is cheaper to lower your car properly, no pro would cut your springs So I assume you did it yourself [or with friends] so you are capable of installing H & R's by yourself

I'm with Kerry here, police should be allowed to permanently confiscate cars like that AND give the driver a LARGE number of public service hours, if not jail time for seriously deficient cars.

I have spent quite a time in the volunteer fire service and have had to cut out dead and dying youngsters who have crashed cars because of drink, speed and hopelessly unroadworthy cars.. cars riding on bumpstops and having cut springs definitely a prime cause!!!

So, what do you want to do, look supposedly cool to your idiot mates and risk dying (and probably taking out innocent families when you do it), or look not so cool and live (along with the rest of the innocent public!).

Like Kerry, I have built and raced some VERY high powered cars, and driven similarly high powered cars on the public roads, but they have ALWAYS been capable of handling the speeds we have driven them at!!! That is why I have lived through to 50+ and enjoyed every moment of it. Suggest you try it..

Will

Edited by will

Try following a car with euro fog taillights [60w high-beam in red] if they are not banned,they should be!

Surely front fog lights arn't that much of a problem are they? sure i wouldn't be stupid enough to put on my rear ones.

Surely front fog lights arn't that much of a problem are they? sure i wouldn't be stupid enough to put on my rear ones.

The worst culprits are the new generation VW beetle owners [don't ask me why] They are fitted with High powered Euro Fog taillights [55-60W] [try following one]

I don't know whether they switch on with the front Fogs,or if the drivers are on another planet.

The problem with front Fogs isn't the height adjustment, but the power of them [they are designed to shine through fog after all]

Also annoying is being tailgated by some idiot with their Fogs on, they dip their lights which switches the Fogs On

It's illegal to follow someone on High-Beam [Fogs should be treated the same way]

If a driver NEEDS to drive with the Fogs on in normal conditions [They should get their eyes tested] or not drive at all

Yup i was there last night down by the docks, the pigs had closed it all in checking springs wof, the usual bs

i almost got pinkd till i showed this dumbass cop my receipts for getting my car lowered,total waste of time i must have been stuck in there for about

2hrs

Guest Spargo

E30 FL fogs aren't fogs at all - they're a driving light as they have cutoff to stop glare, and all their light is kept below ankle level.

I'm with Will and Kerry on this too. Good job. Modify your car as much as you like. I'm all for it. Just do it properly.

Fog lights are a pain in the arse on the whole. I don't dispute, that properly set fogs look good on the BMW, however, changing the suspension will change where they point.

The worst I've found is the HSV utes, put a bit of weight in the back and they are blinding.

personally i think the police give us 'younger drivers' to much of a hard time. all people i know my age who have modified cars, are hard working guys, belive it or not but they contribute to the development of this country, but since we're into cars, we get sh!t from the police. i dont think the 'havoc' we cause is anything near the murders and drug dealing which goes on everyday. thats what the cops should be putting there effort into, not filling there pockets.

just my 2cents

antony

o and foglights are a lil' pointless in my opinion, i took mine out. (originally cause one didn't go and i couldnt get a wof, but i have no intention putting them back in)

Edited by antony

The police see an easy target though dont they, so who can blame them.

Take the example of this thread. They took ONE cark park and the result was....'sh*t load of old school cars got pinkied for no certs' and '6-7 cars got towed' - if the original post is to be believed.

How many cars can you get in a typical McD's car park ? 20-30 maybe....so around a 1/3 of them were illegal in some way. Id say thats 1-0 to the police.

The simple fact is if you fit into the percentages then you are going to be looked at. Whether your a hard worker or not means jack sh!t. Your comment about the 'havoc' you cause is interesting. How many of those cars that were towed couldve ended up killing someone on the way home that night ?

You might cause a little 'havoc' in your eyes at the time your all prowling the streets at 10mph, but how good is that car at driving under normal conditions when your going home ?

Dont blame the police for taking the easy way out, take responsibility for your own actions and modify your car legally. If you do that then you have no cause for concern.

my concern is for these guys who have 5 - 10 - 20 grand of fines, but are good guys, and it just puts them at a greater risk to do 'real' crime. yes we're young and 'stupid' in a way. but there are people my age doing alot worse things than driving around without springs. and they have lil' problem with the boys in blue. and whats a more risk, a sober driver in an illegal car or a crimanal released early on parol, skipping parol, parol board told he should be back in prison. crimanal then murders someone.

o and my car is completely legal and built for 'proper' driving.

antony

E: i no this sounds like an ignorant view of a 'boy racr' (although i rarely do 'laps') but it's my view. and no offence is to be taken.

Edited by antony

and whats a more risk, a sober driver in an illegal car or a crimanal released early on parol, skipping parol, parol board told he should be back in prison. crimanal then murders someone.

No offence taken Im keen to discuss the point, but this comment is just daft.

I would guess that there are hundreds of cars being driven around that are illegal. It makes no difference if the driver is sober or not, the car is an accident waiting to happen and I bet there are more deaths on NZ roads caused by cars that are illegal than by one person who got out when perhaps they shouldnt have.

this will end here. i think we have both got our points across. and i'm sure in years to come i will share your views. but atm i feel less police should be allocated to 'highway patrol' and more to solving what i believe is 'real' crime.

Edited by antony

Guest Spargo

The police see an easy target though dont they, so who can blame them.

Take the example of this thread. They took ONE cark park and the result was....'sh*t load of old school cars got pinkied for no certs' and '6-7 cars got towed' - if the original post is to be believed.

How many cars can you get in a typical McD's car park ? 20-30 maybe....so around a 1/3 of them were illegal in some way. Id say thats 1-0 to the police.

Dude, we live in the big smoke... Hundreds of carparks :lol:

Edited by Spargo

hmm, now that there tons of attention in here.. where in aucks can i get a cert so i can get my bimmer back on the road..

been in the garage for 2 days now :( wish i was out there crusing round in it...

where in aucks can i get a cert so i can get my bimmer back on the road

The ENGINEER who did the job for you should be able to certify it for you.

They know the law and are responsible for their work.

The ENGINEER who did the job for you should be able to certify it for you.

They know the law and are responsible for their work.

umm. i didn't get an engineer to install lowering springs.. so thats not very likely

Edited by dave8501

Pakuranga Automotive does all cert work, but beware he does like to drive your car.

umm. i didn't get an engineer to install lowering springs.. so thats not very likely

What do you need a cert for??

You certainly don't need one for lowering springs unless they ain't captive, in the stock location, and lowest part of your vehicles structure including exhaust is not below 100mm

Funny you say you guys get hassled by the 5 0 cause my car's modded and f**kin loud but I don't get any trouble from the police. It's only when you get caught doing somthing that they ping ya.

It sounds like extortion the way the cops just hit everyone and lock down the carparks. It's bullshit how they can hold you there for 2 hours ..... what if you had a family emergency to go to............