Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

ie7 sloooooooooooooooow page loading

IE7 got installed on my laptop the other day whilst I wasnt really paying attention and since then BS has been incredibly slow....in fact most websites have been. Ive done all the suggested changes off the web and have just loaded firefox to have a play with. Firefox however is giving me a similar error but saying that BS is having problems.

So is anyone else finding it slow at the moment ?

Guest Ken

IE7 got installed on my laptop the other day whilst I wasnt really paying attention and since then BS has been incredibly slow....in fact most websites have been. Ive done all the suggested changes off the web and have just loaded firefox to have a play with. Firefox however is giving me a similar error but saying that BS is having problems.

So is anyone else finding it slow at the moment ?

Hi Martyyn - would need to know a few details first. Are you dialup or broadband? What are your system specs?

********************************************************************************

An impassioned plea to the other forum members... This guy has asked an unbiased, perfectly relevant question.

Would all of the anti MS zealots laden with ill-informed anecdotal claptrap please butt out!!!

********************************************************************************

Sorry Martyyn - just trying to get you some quick answers here!

Cheers

Ken.

Edited by Ken

I'm using ie7 and mine is running about normal for dial-up. I guess, I'm used to everything running slowly whilst I replicate notes though.

Hanging out to get back to my broadband.

Hi Martyyn - would need to know a few details first. Are you dialup or broadband? What are your system specs?

An impassioned plea to the other forum members... This guy has asked an unbiased, perfectly relevant question.

Would all of the anti MS zealots laden with ill-informed anecdotal claptrap please butt out!!!

Sorry Martyyn - just trying to get you some quick answers here!

Cheers

Ken.

Hi Ken,

Im on telstra broadband, 10mb speed, two dell laptops (one 8600 the other top spec 9300) and a shuttle with p4 something or other. All wedged full of ram etc.

I am on IE7 and noticed no difference when I upgraded from IE6 a short while ago, mine is fast at the moment, has been most of the time except for a few site outages a while ago.

I am on broadband too, not the fastest out here in the wops, but glad to have it. When I first moved here, they couldn't get my broadband connected at first and I was on dialup using IE6. I couldn't load Bimmersport at all it was so slow. The page used to time out. My ISP is Xtra.

So maybe your line is bad? That is what Xtra told me when I complained about the dialup..

Will

I.E 7 is running fine on my laptop. No faster or slower than before.

I'm using Xtra Broadband.

Cheers

Grant

Guest Ken

So maybe your line is bad? That is what Xtra told me when I complained about the dialup..

Will

That was going to be my next reply! :o

I'm on Xtra broadband, top spec HP and Dell gear but with a terrible phone that has highly variable performance. Another thing you can check Martyyn is: have you got filters on EVERY appliance connected to your phone line? Also, how many tabs do you have open in IE7 at once? Much as I hate to admit it, IE7 is a real RAM hog and can get a bit flakey when it gets over about 350MB.

Edited by Ken

telstra broadband will not be the issue here .. you dont need filters - its only for telecom supplied lines. unless you are wholesaling telstra?

If you have the cable modem (motorola thing i think) etc you wont be (you will have a telstra coax line, and they are pretty reliable)

Check the IE cache???

Edited by nz320i

I wondered about the ram too Ken, but its been when Ive had two tabs open as well as five tabs.

The thing is that Im getting it with firefox aswell. Even with only two tabs open I get the window telling me that the BS server is busy and that I need to try again....or words to that effect.

Ive tried turning off the phising filter and loading without the add-ons but its still slow. Ive also got firefox going and loaded up all the updates for that, so Ill try that for a while and see if there is any change.

have you got a limit. on xtra (unsure bout telstra), if you go over your limit it reverts to dial up speed.

Nope no limits.

Im going to try a few things, but I definately think its ie7. Ill try firefox for a while and see how that goes.

Do you ie7 guys have the phising filter turned on or off ? Also are you starting with the add-ons or not ?

mines turned on, but don't really know what it does.

possibly a greater problem with your service provider.

but hope not, cause its a looooooooooooooooooooooooooong phone call.

another thought is possibly your virus protector is interferring somehow.

Edited by antony

DB server - (hosted on another box) has been having issues.

Everything normal for me, if anything I feel IE7 is faster.

Except it alway ask me to log-on when I switch from laptop to desktop or back even if I save password.

Guest Ken

My setup has all filters including Windows Firewall turned on.

Another thought - do you have windows update turned on? If so, there might be a background download happening.

My setup has all filters including Windows Firewall turned on.

Another thought - do you have windows update turned on? If so, there might be a background download happening.

Yea, My computer is downloading quite a lot of updates at the moment so that might be your problem, a little sheild should come up by the time if its downloading something.

Updates, schmupdates. Im on a 10 meg download, traffic is not a problem for me :)

Ive been using firefox for a couple of days and not had any trouble so perhaps it was just something last week, like Andrew said with the database.

Fast as at the mo....ie7 on a pretty crappy laptop..phishing is on and about 10 add ons are enabled....variable speed xtra broadbad...