Sign in to follow this  
Guest reckless

decision time

Guest reckless

well i have a big decision to mak eand yous guys can help me, i need more power here are some ideas i have 1) recond my 325i with some head work, cams, pistons, this seems like spending a whole lot of money for a small in crease in go.

2) turbo the block now this is kinda the way im gonna head but still not sure on the fesablity.

3)or transplant a already turbo block, im looking at a series 6 twin turbo rotory.

what are your guys thoughts :huh:

Edited by reckless

Guest Spargo

Don't chuck a weed wacker in there!

Personally, i'd build an M20 low compression 2.8 stroker with an S50 crankshaft, lightweight interals and a slightly more aggressive cam, and use a T3 or equivalent sized turbo.

Guest Andrew

or if you aren't made of money - turbo the exsisting block

Don't put the rotary in it.

yeah....go the turbo....or the 2.8.....both should give you a good amount of power....if you want to start going with lots and lots of power....do the m50 swap.....most people round would agree with me in saying rotarys arent that great.....or actually..scrap the m50 swap....persuade glenn (E30 - 323ti) to tell you how he did his 1JZ swap.....very cool :D

Guest Speedye30

I would like to see you turbo your m20. Leave the internals standard and run a smallish turbo = lowish boost. That way it goes like a 325i from idle to midrange and then has some (maybe not loads) more power when the foot goes down!

Hell, I just wanna see someone turbo their m20b25. Without spending big dough...

before you do it yourself? haha...so true.....be our guinea pig!

Guest Andrew

yeah....go the turbo....or the 2.8.....both should give you a good amount of power....if you want to start going with lots and lots of power....do the m50 swap.....most people round would agree with me in saying rotarys arent that great.....or actually..scrap the m50 swap....persuade glenn (E30 - 323ti) to tell you how he did his 1JZ swap.....very cool :D

Don't do the M50 swap - for around that kind of coin you could have a 218kW beast like glenn has!

M50 swap is NOT the most effective way of getting hp/$

Guest Andrew

supercharge it!!!

It will cost at least as much as a turbo - in terms of ECU and stuff - and won't make as much power.

turbo.. easy if you have the cash and time.. for a good result. cheating though go the N/A!

Guest reckless

well going by the consenseis turboing the bemmer block sounds good im a bit of a purerist so it makes sense, a mate of mine suggested the rice burner idea. i might have to getr a new block though as mine has done 280000 ks it getting abit tired

Guest hizza bizza

. i might have to getr a new block though as mine has done 280000 ks it getting abit tired

and i thought mine was gettin' on with 194,000 on the clock....

2.8ltr it - or kiss your resale value good bye. Up to you! Especially if a factory M. If you've got the bolt on fantastic, do what you like, but no one (in their right mind) is going to buy a "BMW" with a rotary, or with a bolt on turbo .....

2.8ltr it!

Guest reckless

yeah true but whats the price to put a stroker kit in it compeared to slaping a turbo on, and the power gains is what im concerned with. :unsure:

Then you've answered your own question. The immediate "savings" is great, all I'm saying is that you'll "pay" for it in the end. If you want power, why not sell the car and buy something more "bang for buck"?

Guest reckless

cos i love my bmw :wub: the only car i would buy if sold my beamer would be a m3 e30 but its sort of out of my finacial reach. and jap cars dont really appeal to me other than getting me to work and home again. :)

Guest Speedye30

Juzzie Wuzzie although you talk sense, c'mon man! Lets encourage this search for power!

Who can say that 170hp cuts it in this day and age? I feel that the e30 chassis is well up to the task of putting a bit more power down!

Now a brake upgrade would be wise too and I can see the need for an LSD, but this car has one already, right?

So, reckless, do you see yourself selling your beloved car anytime in the future? I don't think I'll sell mine, it's worth more to me than I could ever hope to sell it for.

The 2.8liter business means lots of new bits time and $$. And I seriously doubt that 300 extra ccs and a bit more tuning (remember the specific output of the standard m20b25 is already pretty high for a two valve six) will give nearly as many extra ponies as a turbocharger.

Now, worst case scenario (engine wise) is a blow up/seize or other such failure. Not the end of the world, there are donor engines out there!

So I encourage you, Reckless, do lots of research, learn turbos, and have a crack at it!

Guest Spargo

Careful Andrew.... I'll have the most powerful n/a E30 in NZ...

Don;t bother with an atmo M20, no one has ever pulled more than 230hp of of them, regardless of spec: 3.0L, 308degree cam etc etc...

While this is under discussion, so is someone has a E36 325i auto, whats worth putting in there for gains? or is just just worth saving up for a E46 330i or something?

Options I've considered:

Importing a E36 M3 in a few years

Buying a E46 330i in NZ

M50 engine swap to a E30

any of those good persuits?

I'd like a second car really to give it sh*t on the track without worry since I have a road car

Edited by Viking

Guest Spargo

M50 in an E30. Definitely. With the right mods, you'll keep pace with an E46 M3.

Guest Andrew

2.8ltr it - or kiss your resale value good bye. Up to you! Especially if a factory M. If you've got the bolt on fantastic, do what you like, but no one (in their right mind) is going to buy a "BMW" with a rotary, or with a bolt on turbo .....

2.8ltr it!

Juzzie - whats wrong with the bolt on turbo? Done right it will be reliable and give the power he wants. But true I wouldn't buy a turbo bimmer - unless it was one i'd done or something.

2.8ltr it - or kiss your resale value good bye.  Up to you!  Especially if a factory M.  If you've got the bolt on fantastic, do what you like, but no one (in their right mind) is going to buy a "BMW" with a rotary, or with a bolt on turbo .....

2.8ltr it!

Juzzie - whats wrong with the bolt on turbo? Done right it will be reliable and give the power he wants. But true I wouldn't buy a turbo bimmer - unless it was one i'd done or something.
Nothing, if that is what you want. I'm just an accountant / lawyer who is a purist - so you can imagine my point of view. Now Reckless made the statement which was "sort of out of my fina[n]cial reach" and all I am trying to do is to play "devil's advocate" so that Reckless doesn't save $1k now to lose $3k in two years time when it is time to upgrade. You will only get to what you want (that pristine E30 M3 in the garage) if you don't lose on what you have.

I was once (i.e. when I was younger) of the mind that, yes I wanted to beat everybody at the lights (not easy in a 2002tii) and needed more power, MORE POWER! But, now (and yes, I'm happy to hold hands with everyone and sing kum bah yah) I realise the pleasure that you get out of the car you drive, the person in your passenger seat and the music you are listening to, irrespective of whether they guy in the $10k sardine can is at the next set of lights already. If that isn't the case, and beating the "Rice" at the lights is the key, then, given the "Rice bang for buck" you either need your own "Rice" or a late model BMW.

Additionally, the more power you have, and the willingness to use it, the costlier it becomes with tickets from the law. Believe me!

A lot of people on this forum must enjoy driving a BMW for the sake of driving it (i.e. all the 318 / 320 etc owners) and aren't looking at losing people at the lights.

Why do I enjoy my M3? Because I can do Blenheim to Christchurch in 3 hours? Because I can leave people at the lights? Because it is 1/500 Evo Is? Because it is 1/17k E30 M3s? Because it looks good? Because it has a kick-a$$ stereo? Because I've got nothing else to spend my money on? Because it was a good investment? All have an input, but mostly because I enjoy driving it how it is.

Enough? Whatever Reckless does to his car, he should enjoy it and not feel that he has wasted his money,

2.8ltr it - or kiss your resale value good bye.  Up to you!  Especially if a factory M.  If you've got the bolt on fantastic, do what you like, but no one (in their right mind) is going to buy a "BMW" with a rotary, or with a bolt on turbo .....

2.8ltr it!

Nothing, if that is what you want. I'm just an accountant / lawyer who is a purist - so you can imagine my point of view. Now Reckless made the statement which was "sort of out of my fina[n]cial reach" and all I am trying to do is to play "devil's advocate" so that Reckless doesn't save $1k now to lose $3k in two years time when it is time to upgrade. You will only get to what you want (that pristine E30 M3 in the garage) if you don't lose on what you have.

I was once (i.e. when I was younger) of the mind that, yes I wanted to beat everybody at the lights (not easy in a 2002tii) and needed more power, MORE POWER! But, now (and yes, I'm happy to hold hands with everyone and sing kum bah yah) I realise the pleasure that you get out of the car you drive, the person in your passenger seat and the music you are listening to, irrespective of whether they guy in the $10k sardine can is at the next set of lights already. If that isn't the case, and beating the "Rice" at the lights is the key, then, given the "Rice bang for buck" you either need your own "Rice" or a late model BMW.

Additionally, the more power you have, and the willingness to use it, the costlier it becomes with tickets from the law. Believe me!

A lot of people on this forum must enjoy driving a BMW for the sake of driving it (i.e. all the 318 / 320 etc owners) and aren't looking at losing people at the lights.

Why do I enjoy my M3? Because I can do Blenheim to Christchurch in 3 hours? Because I can leave people at the lights? Because it is 1/500 Evo Is? Because it is 1/17k E30 M3s? Because it looks good? Because it has a kick-a$$ stereo? Because I've got nothing else to spend my money on? Because it was a good investment? All have an input, but mostly because I enjoy driving it how it is.

Enough? Whatever Reckless does to his car, he should enjoy it and not feel that he has wasted his money,

i dont know what to say??

when it comes down to it it will always be, to each, their own!

but well put!