Sign in to follow this  
keen

My wife's 525 Auto has drive problems

My wife's auto when put into drive the car has lost all power to the wheels it won't work in any gear position and the words "trans fault refer to manual" come up on the dash the car is a 1990 e34 525. it had a trans problem about 2 years ago and Jeff Grey put another auto computer into the car this fault is slightly different to the last fault but to me it seems similar I would not like to have to put another one of these things in as they cost around $2500.

Has anyone got any ideas that could help? and if its the box does anyone have a good cheap one for sale?

Guest Ken

My wife's auto when put into drive the car has lost all power to the wheels it won't work in any gear position and the words "trans fault refer to manual" come up on the dash the car is a 1990 e34 525. it had a trans problem about 2 years ago and Jeff Grey put another auto computer into the car this fault is slightly different to the last fault but to me it seems similar I would not like to have to put another one of these things in as they cost around $2500.

Has anyone got any ideas that could help? and if its the box does anyone have a good cheap one for sale?

Fluid leaks? Checked the ATF level?

i have a 5spd manual conversion kit for sale . $900 , then you would have no more probs with the autos' .

also have auto's from 520i and 535i etc

cheers brent

Thanks for the reminders have checked fluid levels and for leaks the car has a good service record by dealers but as its getting old now I don't want to go there any more.They are a bit expensive especially as you can get a complete car for around $5000 now and take the part you want and sell off the rest to defray costs.Brent thanks for the manual idea but its the wifes car she loves it the way it is for around town and her personal use. I wouldn't get dinner if I changed it over.

sounds like a mechanical problem,could tru flush and filters ,but i dont like your chances.Any auto E34 is likely to have a dodgy trans now....

sounds like a mechanical problem,could tru flush and filters ,but i dont like your chances.Any auto E34 is likely to have a dodgy trans now....

Not all e34's. I just traded my e34 525 and the transmission on it was almost as good as new with 132 thou on the clock. It depends how well the car has been looked after. Some people act like morons and trash their autos causing premature malfunction.

JW

do a google search....there are bulk auto trans technical articles on the 'net...specifically around what happens when you get refer to manual...

Thanks for that It looks bad. Transmission guy says that it needs a rebuild and now I'm looking for a replacement. Anyone got a box with 5hp18 on the tag? I would be interested.