Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

X5's

Hi Martyn, I wasn't trying to put you off at all, 'cos I'm currently in the same boat (considering what my next vehicle may be). I haven't seen or read about that doco, but a friend told me to watch it before considering any suv/4wd thingo.

I didn't know that guy Matthew-Wilson would be involved, but you're right - if it isn't a Toyota, its crap ~ according to his mag.

Does anyone know if the rear seat belts go from the inside to the outside ?

The do on my 7 and its brilliant, but Ive only seen e34 tourings do it.

My last ex-Jpn E36 325 had them too. I thought it was cool. My NZ new E39 doesn't.

'cos I'm currently in the same boat (considering what my next vehicle may be

Thats easy mate, it will be my 740 to help finance the X5 :D

Guest Spargo

Don't buy an ML430. The old man has one and it makes a really great noise - thats all it does well.

X5d all day long - Does the FL one have twin turbo 3.5d 6cylinder in it?

Martyyn

Apart from my e30 that was a project (the daughter now uses it!!) I also have a 2003 new shape Subaru Legacy that the wife drives... but I was also wondering to change up to a 540 or 7 series...so would be interested in your opinion on comfort versus speed etc. The Subaru is comfortable, but build quality aint too flash.

Well Martyn, At least you know when a cop car pulls you up for German plates, you can just ram him!!

(Hoping you saw Police 10/7 tonight)

Don't buy an ML430. The old man has one and it makes a really great noise - thats all it does well.

X5d all day long - Does the FL one have twin turbo 3.5d 6cylinder in it?

Hey Spargo,

Unfortunately no it doesnt, but you never know there may be one lurking in the M skunk works somewhere, and from what I've read it hasnt been total ruled out yet either.

How much fun would that be HeHeHe !!!!

(Hoping you saw Police 10/7 tonight)

could you elaborate for those that didn't????:)

Martyyn

Apart from my e30 that was a project (the daughter now uses it!!) I also have a 2003 new shape Subaru Legacy that the wife drives... but I was also wondering to change up to a 540 or 7 series...so would be interested in your opinion on comfort versus speed etc. The Subaru is comfortable, but build quality aint too flash.

Let me just say this.

My 740 pi$$es all over the Scooby in every department and that includes speed. Whilst my wife is waiting for the turbos to kick in Im already half way down the road !

The Legacy wagons are good cars for the money and although I only slightly regret buying the gt-b I do wish Id held off for a little while longer to see what sort of e34 touring I couldve got instead. The poor state of NZ roads was also something I wasnt ready for and in the comfort stakes the Scooby loses badly.

Happy to talk about it more if you want to PM me with anything specfic

could you elaborate for those that didn't????:)

An X5 was stolen in South Auckland, driven round in a wild goose chase, attempted ramming the Police vehicle 4 times and finally did, cuasing quite significant damage to the front end. The cops found the suspect but didn't charge him because they couldn't prove it was him.

His house was a case of "Midnight Autos" lol.

The X5 had a few small surface scratches.

lol, we used to watch it religeosly at school. very rarely was the whole room not in complete hysterics.

correct me if im wrong but the X5 is basically an e39 on stilts? if this is true then they shud be a solid reliable ponsonby tractor lol.

Yeah, they are very solid cars and I havn't heard of any breaking down. I actually havn't seen many around recently, probably just not noticing them. But they are very reliable.

would love to try a manual deisel...remember the 530 d at jefGrays Martyn,did you drive it?.Go down to She...er Jeff Grays.With the Xpo on you never know....The E34 has the inside out seatbelts too

My Old man has had a few BMWs. He bought a 3 Ltr diesel as soon as they came out and he loved only selling it so he didn't amount over the 100ks and thus voiding the warranty for the 2nd buyer.

While he was driving this he never complained about the lack of power as it had heaps of torque to compensate, it could corner better than most cars on the road and it never once had any major problems in the 100ks he owned it.

He was looking at the e60 530d and was pretty much set on it, he then had a drive of the above 3.0 ltr manual diesel and was just about swayed to buying this instead, he did end up buying the e60 but the X5 was a close 2nd.

In my opinion you shouldn't hesitate getting an X5 and the 3.0ltr diesel is a great car.

SUV's are rude.

I surely don't have to list reasons for this.

If you had to get one an X5 is a poor choice IMO. Get a Range.

Yo I'm sicker than the V12 X5

With cracks in the Rolly jumper all we do is Drink f*ckin' Drive

Real niggas raise up, Mommy get your feet off The Table

The cable luck bare, my man got me one on his leckle

It's nothin' for me to get up with you, guts with you

Blow off them matches and sit up with you

Aiyo the streets, what is gettin' more crazy?

(I'll send you the track and you can play it on your maiden X5 voyage)

SUV's are rude.

I surely don't have to list reasons for this.

Maybe one day you'll be in my position and Ill sit back and laugh. SUV or my wife having to put up with crippling back pain for the rest of her life?....hmmm tough choice.

If you guys want to start a new thread about how bad/dangerous SUV's are then go ahead. Ive said my piece about them a million times but I dont need it here.

Edited by martyyn

Martyn, I know what you mean and why you're considering this choice.

Every purchasing choice any of us make is influenced by factors which are individual to us and really should not be anyone else's concern. All the best for your choice and your wife's health. Back pain and in particular chronic back pain is exceedingly debilitating and is far from being a joke.

I had a tumour inside my spinal column which made sitting in cars very painful indeed and as for getting out again - forget it! I had the tumour removed and my life changed for the better, but I remember well how cars and back pain interact.

Cheers, mate,

Rog