Sign in to follow this  
trogladyte

Z3 M 3.2l mods

Anyone have any easy DIY mods? They need to be, well DOH!!!, easy (I can't be bothered with lying under the car all day for a couple of extra horses). Secondly, I don't want them screwing up my insurance cover - it already costs enough!!

Anyone have any easy DIY mods? They need to be, well DOH!!!, easy (I can't be bothered with lying under the car all day for a couple of extra horses). Secondly, I don't want them screwing up my insurance cover - it already costs enough!!

Probably best to leave it standard then if you "I can't be bothered with lying under the car all day for a couple of extra horses" .....

Cause they are naturally asperated motors they need serious mods head work, cams, intake , exhaust, ecu etc to get any notcialbe increase in power

I'd imagine the m 3.2 motors to be allready put together with set running at their best performance in mind. I could suggest your put a pod filter on haha but the factory air box is probably better (know wat I mean). All I can think of for a DIY mod for your car would be free the exhaust up. 2 1/2" right through from the fexi join

Edited by TronSpec

you can also put the intake cam in the exhaust side and then put a Shreck (speling) cam in the intake. This is a common mod in the states for the 3.2 motor and give good gains in power.

What is the reason for the mods, mate?

Around town performance? (do people still change out diffs for this?)

Distance performance?

Cool factor?

I'm guessing each would have different mods?

Guest Spargo

you can also put the intake cam in the exhaust side and then put a Shreck (speling) cam in the intake. This is a common mod in the states for the 3.2 motor and give good gains in power.

It's a euro S50B32 or an S54 depending on the year of his MZ3 - that mod only works for the S50US

The best thing all round you can do on these for a rhd car is a supercharger kit. Aint cheap, but your dealing with a special car

Anyone have any easy DIY mods? They need to be, well DOH!!!, easy (I can't be bothered with lying under the car all day for a couple of extra horses). Secondly, I don't want them screwing up my insurance cover - it already costs enough

Opps just read this again, a supercharger is deff not diy lol sorry

use AV gas

Not recommended- the lead will block the cats and leave you with a serious lack of power and a huge bill to replace them. Talk to Gavin at Hi-Velocity, he is importing some new software and equipment that will work with these cars, a reflash of the ECU gives about 10-15 KW and improves drivability. Other than that, engine mods are expensive and difficult, spend the money on suspension,brakes,wheels or whatever, the engines are that good from the factory that the average person will not see easy HP gains.

cheers Conrad

Hi Velocity

09 442 4451

021 483 562

Edited by conrod

Conrad, what sort of gains with locked vanos, c/f airbox and alpha N?

Locking the vanos is only good for race cars with close boxes, you are only driving in the upper reigon of the motors rev range so the vanos would be in full time anyway. Also a handy trick to stop your vanos form locking up during fast down shifts and causing a nightmare to free. I would expect the motor to be flatter down low and there would be no HP gain with it locked. There is also a set degree that you should lock the cams in at.

If you locked the vanos you'll lose HP somewhere in the rev range [depending on where you degree the cams]

BMW used the vanos so they could use a shorter duration cam [and not lose power]

Yep, you guys have pretty much hit the nail right on the head, locking out the vanos loses bottom end power. It is normally done when fitting high lift/long duration cams to a race car, and negates the need for an otherwise much more expensive ECU to drive the vanos solenoids.Also, the Vanos can be a bit unreliable on a race car, and an S50 one costs $2K to replace! Usually just done on a race car with gearing that will keep the engine in the upper rev range (close ratio box in other words) Carbon airbox and A/N will gain 10-15 hp on an S50 (for a LOT of money!)

Edited by conrod