Sign in to follow this  
arcon

car covers

anyone know where i would get one of those car covers from (weatherproof and pref white to reflect heat), and any recommendations on materials to avoid etc would be cool :)

Guest Spargo

Avoid nylon.

Get a good quality one from repco. Get one with a cable and a padlock also - we had 3 nicked from our house in one week. Thieving scum.

I use a coverite (softbond)i think? one from repco, its flash. Has a really soft feel to it. Im really happy with it, also has a zip on the drivers door so its easy to get into the car without having to take the entire cover off.

I've got one of the one's drifty's talking about i think i'll try and get a photo of it. About $80 from repco and I never use it, thinks it's size C, it fits my e30 coupe.

Could be willing to sell it's rather bulky though.

Car Covers are abrasive on the paint. I only use them indoors [no wind] the best ones that breathe aren't too flash in the waterproofing dept [waterproof covers hold condensation]

Get some calico sheets and leave your car in a garage

I have one from repco as well, meant to as smooth as a babys bottom as on the package, it keeps the car dry as well!

I am with Kerry i dont think they would be too god on the paint work,my garage is so dusty(near the road,when i have the car clean and ready say for a show and shine i just cover it with a cotton paint drop sheet that you can buy from PlaceMakers or similar

Guest Spargo

My paint is mint and i'd rather a car cover was touching it than the rain / birdshit when a garage isn't an option.

I have the coverite one also.

Its the same sh*t they wrap houses with.

Why would someone wrap their house? or am I getting it wrong?

wrap their House

equivalent of building paper,houses have a weatherproof(not nescarily water proof)layer under the cladding.The problem with carcovers is if your car has been out tin the rain and is also even slightly dirty you cover it the wind blows the cover and dirt abrade the paint in certain areas.same thing if its slightly dirty and you cover it.Or do you guys live where the wind doesnt blow ever??I bet you wouldnt clean your car with squares of tyvek

Tyvek is soft as. Id rub it all over my car.

Car covers are pretty lame IMO, but the Tyvek ones are the best of a lame thing.

Have one of the soft yellow repco $80 jobs. Used it alot when I had a car with nice paint in a dusty shed, and once while I was away for 2 weeks and parked outside at a mates. Upside - no rain or dirt on car - no cat paw marks. Downside, cat used soft covered bumper as a scratching post. No damage to car I could see but trashed the cover.

If it's waterproof & keeps the water out, it'll also keep the moisture in!

condensation is a killer of car parts in general

I'll try an dry everything before & more importantly after usage

In my garage when I used a car cover, the condensation was worse than a 'flysheet' on a tent!

The cause was the ex wife using the clothes dryer all the time, so be aware of this!

So I personally aren't in favour of them

In my garage when I used a car cover, the condensation was worse than a 'flysheet' on a tent!

The cause was the ex wife using the clothes dryer all the time

this would be purely for outside storage, it would only be for a night at a time. i'm guessing not long enough for any real moisture damage to occur? so many opinions for and against in this thread hard to decide lol...

condensation is a killer of car parts in general

Tyvek breathes, so avoids this problem

Guest Spargo

Yea i'm not understanding alot of things said in this thread. I've come out in the morning after a massive storm to find the cover soaked, but my car prefectly dry.

I hang mine up everyday while not in use so it's bone dry when it is time for use.

I've used it in a garage (a well ventilated one) for weeks at a time and there's never been "tent like" condensation.

The people who like them aren't going to change their minds, and the people who don't aren't either. I guess you can only decide which camp you fall into when you use one for yourself.

Hows that picket feel in your ass Sam? lol You are right of course.

Tyvek breathes, so avoids this problem

Wrong, a fabric breathes AIR not moisture [which is trapped underneath]

I'm currently involved in the Textile game making structures etc , no such fabric exists or we'd be using it on a $500,000 structure

Guest Spargo

Hows that picket feel in your ass Sam?

Like i've gone camping with some rugged northland E30 owners

hahaha, car covers good if you dont have garage, better than rain - then dust - then bird sh*t IMO

I'm currently involved in the Textile game making structures etc , no such fabric exists or we'd be using it on a $500,000 structure

From the Tyvek web site:

Breathable surface allows moisture to escape

Posted Image

Guest Spargo

Better give gore-tex a call then?