Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ari Gold

Full respray Q's

Guest Spargo

At which point does a full respray become more economical?

Over 07 I plan on having the following done:

New bootlid (rust)

New bonnet

Door repaired

Front spoiler resprayed

rear kit resprayed

Rust removed at rear of unibody

Arches rolled

New sunrood panel (rust)

Thats about half of the panels that can be removed from the unibody and some work done on the unibody - worth saving up and doing it all at once - having the whole thing redone as well?

And to those who have done full resprays (Doug / Chris / Riley) what sort of cost increase, bearing in mind i'm more than capable of delivering a striped shell and parts.

Edited by Spargo

Sam, with the amount of work you are having done, I would respray the whole thing.

Metallics are difficult to match perfectly, your colour is notorious for looking fine in the daylight and then showing up the differences at night under certain lighting.

Strip it to a shell and get it done all over, that is what I would do.

I will be doing exactly that to my M325 in the near future. as it is also a metallic.

I am fine with spraying solid colours, just have problems with getting metallics 100%

Will

Im glad to see you are sticking a whole new sunroof in. I didnt. And im regretting it. Little bubbles or cancer coming back thru it. If i keep it im going to have to get it fixed. Along with the drains, headliner and seals.

Basically if you strip off the car it wont drop the price all that much. And doing your own prep work will mean the painters cant garuantee the work. BE CAREFUL where you go to get it done. Be there throughout the prep/paint process and if theres anything you dont like the look of make sure they fix it. Also dont you have aluminium panels or some shiz? Might also want to tell the beaters to stay away from the bog :D

Guest Spargo

Only got Alu doors and the lh guard - its had a front right hit at some point. Missing the bonnet and rh guard.

I had a quote for this sort of thing yesterday, for an E36 coupe. Strip bonnet, fix both bumpers, numerous parking rashes and dents, repaint boot etc etc. $2500 +GST. Whole respray $4k.

Also had a quote from Evans European for the M325i, $5k + for a complete respray.

Quality of work wise, I'd probably go with the first guy, as he does a lot of resto work and a lot of euro stuff.

My 2 cents.

Anyone know how much approx to do a e30 bonnet, my is very faided, have tried to use meguires scratch.... worked a bit but not as much as wanted....

Get the whole thing resprayed for that much work.

I have just had the 540i bonnet, front spoiler and gaurds done at West Lynn P&P. Drago did a great job (Thanks Milan) and he was well priced. 09 378 6090, Richmond Rd, Grey Lynn.

At which point does a full respray become more economical?

Over 07 I plan on having the following done:

New bootlid (rust)

New bonnet

Door repaired

Front spoiler resprayed

rear kit resprayed

Rust removed at rear of unibody

Arches rolled

New sunrood panel (rust)

Thats about half of the panels that can be removed from the unibody and some work done on the unibody - worth saving up and doing it all at once - having the whole thing redone as well?

And to those who have done full resprays (Doug / Chris / Riley) what sort of cost increase, bearing in mind i'm more than capable of delivering a striped shell and parts.

Would recommend getting the whole car painted. Strip it down yourself and reassemble to save the $$ the beaters charge for doing what is bloody easy. I ended up replacing panels (door, boot, bonnet and sunroof) so didn't see the point in not painting the rest.

At the time i paid $4500 for a paint job im pretty happy with and that included removing some rust from the sunroof tracks, rust around the rear lights and under the bonnet, sealing the whole car and painting. Would have been approx $6k - 6.5k if they had to strip it and reassemble.

Well i would say go for the full respray, but remember my good mate did most of the work on my car and i did get hooked up really really well for a fully profesional job. I was more than happy with the result and im quite picky when it comes to a good paint job. Mine was only about $1500! BUT my mate and his boss said it was a 4-5k job normally

Anyone know how much approx to do a e30 bonnet, my is very faided, have tried to use meguires scratch.... worked a bit but not as much as wanted....

Hey, drackovich panel beaters on west coast road in glen eden are great for paint, I got my e30 bonnet done for $200, they did all the prep work, I just dropped it off,

Also i would recommend the full respray not because of price but because of the paint difference, MY opinion (and thats all it is.. an oppinion) is that newly sprayed stuff never looks the same as the old paint because of the age difference in paint... but im sure it would'nt cost $4k to repsray a whole car, I had my whole rear end re done (very good) for $500 from these same guys, (bootlid rear panel bumper + blends)

Edited by QuickSilver

Hey, drackovich panel beaters on west coast road in glen eden are great for paint, I got my e30 bonnet done for $200, they did all the prep work, I just dropped it off,

Also i would recommend the full respray not because of price but because of the paint difference, MY opinion (and thats all it is.. an oppinion) is that newly sprayed stuff never looks the same as the old paint because of the age difference in paint... but im sure it would'nt cost $4k to repsray a whole car, I had my whole rear end re done (very good) for $500 from these same guys, (bootlid rear panel bumper + blends)

That is cheap, I am in Wellington so I will have a look around to see if I can find somewhere that cheap..