Sign in to follow this  
mons2b

Government wants to force biofuel use

Just seen on the news tonight that the government is going to replace its "gas guzzlers" (im sure Ford NZ appreciates those comments) and Helen will make compulsory biofuel mixtures at the petrol stations.

What will biofuel petrol etc do to our BMW's?? I know in my E39 user guide it expressly forbids use of biodiesel in BMW diesel engines.

Who cares what crap someone puts in their Japanese car what will this greeny fuel do to modern BMW engines?

JW

Easy answer, dont vote Labour! But in saying that she's just speculating an idea that wont go anywhere as she has no great interests in the enviroment.

I will cry when gasoline is gone, lets hope it happens after we pass on.

If you fill up at Challenge or Gull you are already getting up to 15% Ethanol in your fuel anyway.

Easy answer, dont vote Labour! But in saying that she's just speculating an idea that wont go anywhere as she has no great interests in the enviroment.

I will cry when gasoline is gone, lets hope it happens after we pass on.

I wouldnt guarantee any kind of Government (National or otherwise) wont force bio mixtures on us. Dont think it makes any difference who you vote for.

Labour vs National blah blah blah!

Don't vote at all [unless you want to complain]

Remember: Guy Fawkes was the only man in history that really understood politics

Labour vs National blah blah blah!

Don't vote at all [unless you want to complain]

Remember: Guy Fawkes was the only man in history that really understood politics

Main point of this thread was to see if anyone knew what affect bio petrol has on BMW petrol engines.

Im not into politics either. Anyone know about effects of biopetrol on BMW engines?

Main point of this thread was to see if anyone knew what affect bio petrol has on BMW petrol engines.

Im not into politics either. Anyone know about effects of biopetrol on BMW engines?

Ok Im not an expert but have been involved in this to some extent , having attended a seminar put on by the govt department thats running this.

The 2 fuels are Ethanol and Bio deisel. Ethanol is not a problem for an engine to run on , 95% of vehicles in brazil run on it. It has some benefits .

In fact methanol is the preferred fuel for drag cars both are types of alcohol and can povide a better bang and cooling as well.

The problem seems to be that 100% ethanol doesnt start as well in cold temperatures . Thats why they mix it with petrol.

Methanol also is harder on certain type of rubber fuel lines and seals . Cars that are built for E85 (85% ethanol) have better fuel lines and a slightly diffrent fuel; map, they will run fine on ethanol; (E85) and petrol or any mix of the two true duel fuel cars.

At the moment the first introduction will be a lower amount of ethanol added (10-15% ) I think at this level you probabaly wont notice the difference in fact if anything it will probabaly improve the running of your car.

There are plenty of good articles on the web if your intersted , its seems the rest of the world is already some way ahead of us on this (all diesel in France has 10% bio diesel added)

The big plus of biofuels is that they are renewable (unlike oil ) and are good for the environment (=dont add carbon)

hove

Cheers for that, mate.

It seems that the public need to be well informed as knee-jerk reactions will be commonplace otherwise.

Interesting times head.

Rog

And Fonterra will love you for it as they are currently the largest producer of Ethanol in NZ to my knowledge.

After My 'Rant' about politics I thought I can now add a comment to Hoves statement

A couple of years ago, I threw a $900 dollar crossflow 'grenade' into my Mk1 lotus [while the twincam was getting rebuilt] this engine was running 14.5:1 compression

I was blending Avgas with a 17% mix of de-natured Ethanol,+ some MEK & acetone to hold the brew together[any higher & the oil/water brew will separate]

Now Petrol needs a 14:1 air/fuel ratio

Methanol needs approx 8:1 [so It is instantly too lean once its mixed]

Ethanol is closer to Petrol at 11:1 [so a simple 'Jet' change was all that was needed]

A mate of mine tested the sh*t at a Lab, it was 124 octane, the Avgas was a good brew at that time of 112 octane [nominal 108,minimum100] so I gained 12 points

I did better lap times with this engine than the twin cam.I have no idea of the horsepower it made, but it could have been my lack of 'mechanical sympathy' to a $900 engine

[ps: MANZ will suspend your license if caught doing this nowadays]

If anybody is interested in Biodiesel, I have a good friend who makes the sh*t [he does seminars]

he uses it daily in his truck driving school. pm me & I'll forward his details

And Fonterra will love you for it as they are currently the largest producer of Ethanol in NZ to my knowledge.

I posted a thread a while back about NZ's ability to increase the ethanol content. Fonterra exports over 10 million (10,000,000) litres of pure ethanol to Russia every year for production of cheap vodka and that ethanol is just a by product of milk...makes you wonder really. Our older engines can easily run on mixtures of 35% ethanol, NZ should do it as it is a greener fuel.

I posted a thread a while back about NZ's ability to increase the ethanol content. Fonterra exports over 10 million (10,000,000) litres of pure ethanol to Russia every year for production of cheap vodka and that ethanol is just a by product of milk...makes you wonder really. Our older engines can easily run on mixtures of 35% ethanol, NZ should do it as it is a greener fuel.

Im all for green things as long as someone doesnt tell me what I can and cant drive.

JW

Christchurch