Sign in to follow this  
simcmanus

Best exhaust set up for e30 325i

OK what's the most popular and/or most pleasing combination back from headers for my E30 325?

my current sound of nasty, bad baffles + missing resonator displeases me no end :angry: .

Place your best now!

I will take recommendations on best place central or north (Jafaland) to get this done.

Edited by Schmik30

Ring Al's Mufflers and talk to them.

Or ask Gus,his exhaust is sex.think it's 2.25,one muffler,one resonator.but dont quote me on that.

To get the exhaust right on a 325i is a bit of science, the factory exhaust was almost perfect. Most people will tell you there is not alot to be gained from changing the exhuast on a 325i. Apart from when they are stuffed like yours. All i can say is be carefull with the design

Ring Al's Mufflers and talk to them.

Or ask Gus,his exhaust is sex.think it's 2.25,one muffler,one resonator.but dont quote me on that.

Thanks, seen Al's show up in a few places, looks like the go

Sent Gus a message to reply with post

sharing and caring...

2.25 pipe right through would be a good start, it flows better than the standard twin pipes, but the mufflers play a big part in the sound and power developed.

I personally prefer the sound a twin pipe system with good twin resonators up front and a single, free-flow rear silencer makes though.

Will

From Gus

quote]i have used both a 2.5" and 2.25"..i had headers with the 2.5 and none with the 2.25...i have found the 2.25 to be faster..not as much lost torque. with the 2.5 i was waiting forever for power! both are from als mufflers with one resonator and one muffler. their work is great..just ring and book ya car in..great service.

the stock 325i dual pipe prob has just as good power...not a huge difference if there is anyway. some stock mufflers can sound super loud..not sure why though!

dont spend too much...5-600 is about right..you prob wont find huge gains. TBH if it sounds nice, stick with the stock one..only change if you want louder/different sounding.

-

Thanks very much people.

To get the exhaust right on a 325i is a bit of science, the factory exhaust was almost perfect. Most people will tell you there is not alot to be gained from changing the exhuast on a 325i. Apart from when they are stuffed like yours. All i can say is be carefull with the design

Like i said :rolleyes:

Like i said :rolleyes:

Ok ok. be careful.

Watch me go off and stuff it up :P

Unless maybe Al's can keep me on track?

Ok ok. be careful.

Watch me go off and stuff it up :P

Unless maybe Al's can keep me on track?

lol im not trying to be smart, im just saying there is alot of exhaust cowboys out there that will put you on the wrong track.

but it does sound like Als are pretty switched on.

Gus' exhaust cost me $550 (it's my old exhaust)

My exhaust cost nearly $3000 - (large power gains, stainless steel).

It all depends what you want really.

Gus' exhaust cost me $550 (it's my old exhaust)

My exhaust cost nearly $3000 - (large power gains, stainless steel).

It all depends what you want really.

That is manifolds + custom headers + exhaust i hope? :blink:

why weren't you happy with the old one?

manifolds and custom headers?? how does that work?

haha...yes that was headers and 2.5 exhaust..why? its fun spending $??

no seriously...it made car much quicker..race car too..it needed to sound like one!

nope..purely judgemental differences from racing the two cars

Guest Spargo

but the mufflers play a big part in the sound and power developed.

I personally prefer the sound a twin pipe system with good twin resonators up front and a single, free-flow rear silencer makes though.

Will

We've gotta get a sound clip of my "factory" one next weekend :wub:

subjective yes

as i say..i have no factual basis..but from being fairly even to pulling away from me easily, there is some performance increase

better tuning/injectors and his exhaust netted 185rwhp (i think that figure is right) compared to much less before

Andrew's car is not really you average mildly tuned 325. It has quite a few mods done to it including Link etc. It runs well against some of the better cars on Puke (eats the "normal" 325's), so I wouldn't be suprised if it had 185rwhp.

Will

neither will...i would rather compare cars around a track than on the internet any day..much more enjoyable

Andrew's car is not really you average mildly tuned 325. It has quite a few mods done to it including Link etc. It runs well against some of the better cars on Puke (eats the "normal" 325's), so I wouldn't be suprised if it had 185rwhp.

Will

yeah I'd beleive andrews car is putting out that sorta power with the link tuning I've seen it chase down a m3 on pukekohe.

I to have subjective gains after doing my custom exhaust. I started off with some modified (cut and welded) factory e36 325i headers. Then built some 32mm mandrel bent equal length headers and joined them to the exisiting 2" 1/2 stainless exhaust. This gave me very very noticable gains.

3pedals ... dyno runs are bloody expensive why can't we claim our power figures going by subjective and noticable gains feel???

yeah I'd beleive andrews car is putting out that sorta power with the link tuning I've seen it chase down a m3 on pukekohe.

Then wouldn't it be cheaper to just go out and buy a standard M3 if that's the case :unsure: ?

Gus' old car that I bought off him sounds great, probably the thing that tipped me over the edge to buying it off him. Single resonator and single rear muffler still running twin pipes. I suspect the rear baffles are somewhat shagged though.

Great to down change at least two cogs through tunnels!

Then wouldn't it be cheaper to just go out and buy a standard M3 if that's the case :unsure: ?

It's called the thrill of the chase guys.

Way more fun drinking beer,

spending money on parts,

shaving skin off knuckles,

drinking beer,

telling lies,

having the wife bitch at you for spending so much time in the garage while you muck around with the E30....

than chatting up a car salesman while you buy your E36. :unsure:

Edited by StylesM5