Sign in to follow this  
arcon

E46 factory speakers

does anybody know what the factory front speakers are in an E46? (2001 320i). and what rms power rating they have? i'll probably replace the ones in a 320i with DLS MS5s, which i'm guessing would be better lol.

does anybody know what the factory front speakers are in an E46? (2001 320i). and what rms power rating they have? i'll probably replace the ones in a 320i with DLS MS5s, which i'm guessing would be better lol.

I forget where I read it, but if you change the speakers you have to change the amps as well. There is an after market converter kit out somewhere which converts the signal from the stock head unit to normal line level

I forget where I read it, but if you change the speakers you have to change the amps as well.

weird.... no worries i have my own e-audio 480AB amp :) and rockford P2 sub, will be getting either the pioneer 6850 head unit or panasonic 7703, can't decide lol.

just following up this thread - you mentioned i'd have to change the amp if changing the speakers (which won't be a problem), however will i still be able to run the rear door 5.25" speakers from the new head unit? i've pretty much decided on the panasonic 7703 with 70Wx4 digital amp.

interesting - thanks for the link. although the author sounds like he knows what he's talking about in terms of electronics, it doesn't really count for much if he thinks the 'stock bmw e46 audio sounds ok at first'..... it doesn't sound anywhere near ok, at any volume.

not being a technically mineded person i'm not sure how that article relates to my question (heh wth is a transducer?). i'm not spending much money on my audio install (i picked up my MS5s for 450), and definitely wouldn't buy highend comps just for the rear doors, maybe some DLS coaxials if i found out the factorys weren't going to work for some reason, or if i find out the sound like arse when the rest of the system is in.

yeah I re-read it myself after posting .. it was a lil over opinionated ...

Basically .. some of the speakers are 8ohm not 4 (which normal car audio is standardised at.. ) That and the signal from the standard head unit is not your normal line level RCA type signal .. You can buy converters for the standard head unit .. but I think you have to replace the amps and speakers to match.

Im personally not in any hurray with my as the 10 speaker H/K system is more than enough for me and I dont listen to music at loud volumes anyways (spend too much time on stage doing that hehe :) )

I would check out e46fanatics.com dude .. its where I go too ..

will do thanks for the link :)

heh just realised my car has 5.25" above the back seats, not in the rear doors.... dunno where i got that idea from lol.

the issues shouldn't be a problem - i just bought the panasonic 7703 hu which was on special, so now once my speakers arrive will have all custom gear. if the rear 8ohms won't work its a good excuse for me to get some DLS coaxials :) i'm sure the installer will advise on that anyway.

ok - had the new sound system installed for a week now - friggin AWESOME :)

it was quite a mission for the installer but the result was worth it. the DLS component speakers own infinity's arse. the real test is the 'S' sound on vocals, which these speakers can handle clearly but the budget infinity 5010cs couldn't. panasonic 7703 is really cool, heh still figuring it all out, lucky i bought a HU with motorized front 'cause flip-down won't open in the E46 HU adapter they install ;) other than that there are no real things to watch out for with E46 audio installs.