Sign in to follow this  
Mavrick

m3 query.

Does anyone have any more information about this particular car?i.e. what to look out for when doing an inspection, has anyone driven or seen this car in person?

m3

Cheers Mavrick

Don't know the car, but check for fsh and. if it has it, check for what has been done. If it doesn't have fsh, I would avoid it.

Also, get full check from BMW to confirm current condition etc. (Pic of driver's seat seems to suggest a high mileage).

Will

Don't know the car, but check for fsh and. if it has it, check for what has been done. If it doesn't have fsh, I would avoid it.

Also, get full check from BMW to confirm current condition etc. (Pic of driver's seat seems to suggest a high mileage).

Will

Fsh? Excuse my ignorance. Yeah it's relatively high mileage, but its just had an engine and clutch rebuild 10ks ago. But i agree on the BMW check.

Should check on that full engine rebuild.. has to be a good reason..

Spend the extra money and get one with less kms. Or buy a mint 328i manual of a newer vintage for the same money.

Spend the extra money and get one with less kms. Or buy a mint 328i manual of a newer vintage for the same money.

Buy a 328? depends if you want something rare or not - and with a motorsports heritage - I would say the M3 is far superior.

Have a chat to the guy, find out who did the work and maybe call them. I researched mine well (even spoke to the previous owner) - mind you the seller was very helpful. Nice forged lightweight and staggered rim setup there - cant beat those.

Could have been the vanos which caused the rebuild - guess it depends who did the work as to what degree of quality you can expect.

Get it checked by a BMW garage - yes they will be very picky about some stuff but its best to know first :-)

do some research too on forums like bimmerforums http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=63

also get an AA lemoncheck - i did

cheers

Edited by p1_m3

I would be quite sure that it'd have a good history, i get the feeling that the place selling it are people who take trades from main BMW dealers. (in saying that, BMW dealers flog off cars that they dont want this way)

nath~

This M3 was imported in 1994 by Bishops freight, had 5 owners. Last owner has had vehicle for less than 5 months???? Engine rebuild must have happened 6 years ago. From what Ive seen M3's manufactured in 1994 has problems with the Nikasal block and water pumps going...done alot km's too.

I would definately have BMW go over it with a fine comb ... If you want a E36 M3 go for a 1996 model and a 3.2 ltr ... There is a difference!

i dont think that 150,000 ks is very many Ks.I would want to know why a rebuild was required at approx 140 kays.I cant say that a clutch wouldnt be required at 140,000 ks but a rebuild????

i dont think that 150,000 ks is very many Ks.I would want to know why a rebuild was required at approx 140 kays.I cant say that a clutch wouldnt be required at 140,000 ks but a rebuild????

Agreed on the Kms - just need to know why.

I bought mine at 160,000K's, still runs like a dream. K's aren't a big deal, just depends on how well its been treated.

Car is NZ new and imported from Germay by Mc Millans in 1994, the car spun a bearing, hence the $7k engine rebuild, with the engine out it was common sense to replace the clutch and presure plate, you will find that the engine builder was Taylor Automotive in Newmarket who rebuild BMW and other Euorpean Motors. Taylor's mention that there are two reasons as to why it would have spun a bearing, 1) not changing the oil, or 2) reving the motor when the oil temperture is'nt up to normal temperture.

I'm not sure if you have been to see the car, but everything mentioned above is in the carglove box, other then telling you it was a spun bearing.

Car is NZ new and imported from Germay by Mc Millans in 1994, the car spun a bearing, hence the $7k engine rebuild, with the engine out it was common sense to replace the clutch and presure plate, you will find that the engine builder was Taylor Automotive in Newmarket who rebuild BMW and other Euorpean Motors. Taylor's mention that there are two reasons as to why it would have spun a bearing, 1) not changing the oil, or 2) reving the motor when the oil temperture is'nt up to normal temperture.

I'm not sure if you have been to see the car, but everything mentioned above is in the carglove box, other then telling you it was a spun bearing.

Where did you find this info out??just curious... As for the plate history the car has had 3 plates on it with one personalised one.

Ive been advised by all McMillan, JC, CH & Jeff Gray that any engine recond's on a M3, weither its a S14, S50 etc they all go back to Germany?? have other M3/M5 owners here been told the same?

Cheers for the above info, exactly what I needed to know.

The car is not for me personally, im helping a mate, turning him from porsche to bmw.

Ive been advised by all McMillan, JC, CH & Jeff Gray that any engine recond's on a M3, weither its a S14, S50 etc they all go back to Germany?? have other M3/M5 owners here been told the same?

Where i used to work we would just be sent the new (usually E46 M3- they crapped out all the time) block/ head etc and put all the working parts of the old one onto it, and send the broken engine back to Germany.

I suspect these were all under warranty however.

Where i used to work we would just be sent the new (usually E46 M3- they crapped out all the time) block/ head etc and put all the working parts of the old one onto it, and send the broken engine back to Germany.

I suspect these were all under warranty however.

That only affected those E46 M3s produced between February 2002 and Jun 2003 - it was a tooling issue with a third party supplier of the big end bearings - incorrect tolerance and an oil pump not up to the job caused some failures. A warranty recall was done on all S54 motors in late 2004. Otherwise the S54 motors in the E46 M3 is pretty robust. But personally I would never touch a 2002 produced car - they are the worse affected lot.

Guest Spargo

That only affected those E46 M3s produced between February 2002 and Jun 2003 - it was a tooling issue with a third party supplier of the big end bearings - incorrect tolerance and an oil pump not up to the job caused some failures. A warranty recall was done on all S54 motors in late 2004. Otherwise the S54 motors in the E46 M3 is pretty robust. But personally I would never touch a 2002 produced car - they are the worse affected lot.

Nov 2002 specifically.

Cheers for the above info, exactly what I needed to know.

The car is not for me personally, im helping a mate, turning him from porsche to bmw.

Parts should be (a bit) cheaper then - I would suggest looking at a few M3s then make a decision based on condition and history - you should also get a feel for what is normal in terms of how they drive.

Nov 2002 specifically.

Sorry to hijack the thread once again ... but actually according to Loki from roadfly.org who did the biggest statistical collection of s54 engine failures the worse affected vehicles were produced between July/August 2002 up till Oct/Nov 2002. The recall was carried out for all vehicles produced before June 2003 (not including June production or CSLs) There were in total 4 different coded big end bearings for the s54 engine and 2 oil pumps. Again, if I was looking at an E46 M3 I would never buy anything produced within 2002 time frame.