Sign in to follow this  
GrantD

528i engine replacement

my mechanic tells me my BMW 528 i engine has toasted itself. It happened last week. About 12 months ago they replaced some hoses to the radiator. In that perion the coolant templight popped on now and then but he said not to worry about it.Hes saying now it has a cracked head and rings have lost tension Can anyone tell me where I can get second hand 528i engine?

try nee at euro car parts papakura 2991234 . he has a e36 328i ( was smoky but maybe just pcv valve ) or you could just pull the head off .

and he also has a i think a e39 528i and maybe a e38 728i .

Guest Spargo

my mechanic tells me my BMW 528 i engine has toasted itself. It happened last week. About 12 months ago they replaced some hoses to the radiator. In that perion the coolant templight popped on now and then but he said not to worry about it.Hes saying now it has a cracked head and rings have lost tension Can anyone tell me where I can get second hand 528i engine?

Woah woah woah - let me know who your mechanic is so I don't go there.

Spargo is right your mechanic is a tosser please post his details so we all know NOT to go there.

That should be an M54 twin vanos engine you should be able to pick up a complete one locally there was a 2000 (528) wreck for sale on trade me with a good engine a few weeks back.

Alternatively be rash put an M3 engine in it, thats my plan when the wife blows up our shopping trolley

the good old m52 engine, complete with an alloy block. Alloy doesnt like being overheated, so it tends to warp, and crack. Seems over heating issues are the archillies heel for 6cyl e39's... u overheat them, and u pretty much f**k the short engine.

the coolant templight popped on now and then but he said not to worry about it.Hes saying now it has a cracked head and rings have lost tension

sheesh dont worry about it...I wonder why you have a stuffed engine......

the good old m52 engine, complete with an alloy block. Alloy doesnt like being overheated, so it tends to warp, and crack. Seems over heating issues are the archillies heel for 6cyl e39's... u overheat them, and u pretty much f**k the short engine.

overheating does the job for most engines not just M52.....Its why cooling system maintenance is important esp on iron/alloy engines